Transferrring but not disclosing a previous law school?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ou812c

Transferrring but not disclosing a previous law school?

Postby ou812c » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:00 pm

This is an honest question, not a rhetorical one, and someone probably has the answer: is there really such a thing as a "permanent record" that schools check when you apply? How would they know, and why would they want to know, about schools you do not choose to list on your application, so long as they know about the schools you do list and like what they see of that performance? If your not transferring credits, does it matter?

snehpets

Re: Transferrring but not disclosing a previous law school?

Postby snehpets » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:03 pm

ou812c wrote:This is an honest question, not a rhetorical one, and someone probably has the answer: is there really such a thing as a "permanent record" that schools check when you apply? How would they know, and why would they want to know, about schools you do not choose to list on your application, so long as they know about the schools you do list and like what they see of that performance? If your not transferring credits, does it matter?

ETA: i'm an idiot and didn't register that this was from one law school to another, which i have absolutely no knowledge about. having said that, you risk an even worse situation bar-wise by not disclosing a law school, i would think.
Last edited by snehpets on Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:04 pm

Eh? Are you transferring a second time, and don't want to disclose your first law school?
Why not? You must have done ok, if you were able to transfer the first time.

ou812c

Postby ou812c » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:06 pm

I see.

ou812c

Postby ou812c » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:08 pm

No, I haven't transferred before. I would like to have a "plan b" if I don't make it where I'm at.

ou812c

Postby ou812c » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:11 pm

So, if I'm wanting to submit an app to another law school and wish not to disclose that I have been to law school for 1 yr., will they find out if I'm not transferring credits?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:13 pm

What do you think the LSAC is for? It is a central body that centrally administers law school admissions information, I am 99% sure that they have a record of your prior school and that it is accessible to any future schools you apply to.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:18 pm

ou812c wrote:So, if I'm wanting to submit an app to another law school and wish not to disclose that I have been to law school for 1 yr., will they find out if I'm not transferring credits?

So you're not talking about "transfering" in the normal sense; you're talking about starting over at a new school as a 1L?

Yes, they will find out. And yes, they will care. (The advantage someone would have from getting a mulligan for 1L is... large, to say the least.)

ou812c

Postby ou812c » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:26 pm

I agree and I believe you. It seems obvious they could find out but would they want to? Why? As long as I'm paying them and not wanting to transfer credits it seems that I may be able to just start over if I chose to. LSAC has the transcripts I have sent them from undergrad. Without my having sent them a transcript from my current law school how do they keep account of it? Where is there a record of my attendance other than with my current law school's admin. records? Again, I believe you and will just submit my app with an explanation to be safe but I still want to know how they will know. Anyone know for sure?

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:28 pm

Can you redo 1L?

ou812c

Postby ou812c » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:35 pm

That's what I'm trying to find out - if I can redo my 1L at another law school. As far as my current law school, no I can't. My only option is to continue and improve my GPA. My question now is what are the chances of a TTTT school accepting me and my piss poor GPA from a TT school?

flcath

Postby flcath » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:08 pm

ou812c wrote:That's what I'm trying to find out - if I can redo my 1L at another law school. As far as my current law school, no I can't. My only option is to continue and improve my GPA. My question now is what are the chances of a TTTT school accepting me and my piss poor GPA from a TT school?

You aren't "allowed" to do it.

The only thing I can think of that would keep you from just applying through LSAC again and not disclosing your prior LS (aside from ethics) would be the bar C&F. They'll ask you to account for your time, and they also track down all student debt you have. I think if you took out any gov't loans at your first school (even if you pay them off), they'd catch you for sure. Even if you didn't, I feel like there are a number of possible pitfalls. And it goes without saying, you'd be denied admission for sure if they caught you lying about something like that.

ou812c

Postby ou812c » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:16 pm

Thank you. I see what your saying about the fed. loans etc... I agree 100% I'm just going to have to include an addendum with my app explaining my f-up.

flcath

Postby flcath » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:28 pm

ou812c wrote:Thank you. I see what your saying about the fed. loans etc... I agree 100% I'm just going to have to include an addendum with my app explaining my f-up.

Yeah. I don't blame you at all for your idea, though.

ou812c

Postby ou812c » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:31 pm

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:38 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
ou812c wrote:So, if I'm wanting to submit an app to another law school and wish not to disclose that I have been to law school for 1 yr., will they find out if I'm not transferring credits?

So you're not talking about "transfering" in the normal sense; you're talking about starting over at a new school as a 1L?

Yes, they will find out. And yes, they will care. (The advantage someone would have from getting a mulligan for 1L is... large, to say the least.)

Honestly, not as much as you'd think. I know 6 people off the top of my head who restarted aw school. 2 ultimately were booted for performing poorly again, 3 did only marginally better, 1 did poorly initially but recovered well and ultimately landed a job at a small firm.

ou812c

Postby ou812c » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:45 pm

I'm interrupting your conversation with the other guy but how did they redo/start over as a 1L? They transferred? They didn't tell the committee they had previously attended? What did they do? How where they able to restart?

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:46 pm

ou812c wrote:I'm interrupting your conversation with the other guy but how did they redo/start over as a 1L? They transferred? They didn't tell the committee they had previously attended? What did they do?

They were on academic probation...the school let them start 1L over again instead of booting them.

ou812c

Postby ou812c » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:51 pm

Damn, I wish my school would do that. My only option is to improve and correct a substantial portion of my academic deficiency (gpa) next semester while on academic probation. If I correct/improve then the committee will give me an additional semester of academic probation. Ultimately, by the end of my third semester I must have corrected my entire deficiency or I'm booted. That sucks b/c I could possibly pay for three semesters of school and still be dismissed!

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:00 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR-CePbkuLQ

so yeah...in case you haven't figured it out yet...quit.

ou812c

Postby ou812c » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:08 pm

I like the link - not quitting though. Everything you've done in your life; did you know with 100% certainty you would make it through? If yes, you ain't been living brother. No. Sometimes you've just got to let the road wind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5eV83vZ ... ture=share

If a school's brochure says it only accepts (3) transfer students per cycle I'm unlikely to be accepted there. The brochure doesn't specify whether I must apply as a transfer or if I can start as a 1L. I want to know.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:58 pm

Hiding information from your law school will make it very hard to pass the Moral Character requirement. Do not hide information from the school. You will risk never being able to sit for the bar if you do so. Not to mention school's reserve the right to revoke your degree if you lie to them. Do not do it.

Study smart and avoid failing. Failing out of a T2 is not easier than failing out of a T4. T4s often fail out many of their students and T2s usually fail out fewer students. You will be best served by either getting into good academic standing at your school or trying to get back in later as a re-admitted student. In your situation, I would drop out. But if you have no choice but to stay in school then do your best to get out of academic probation.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:51 pm

Or, I think, you could withdraw before finishing a full year. Then you could just reapply and you wouldn't even be eligible to transfer.

Return to “Transfers”