NYU to UChicago

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
landpirate

NYU to UChicago

Postby landpirate » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:19 pm

I've tried searching all over the internet for info regarding lateral transfers in the CCN bracket and have come up empty handed. I don't have grades yet, I know that's bad, but I am looking to go from NYU to UChicago for family/personal reasons. Can anyone give me any sort of ball park? I'm just trying to get a basic idea of how feasible this might be. Thanks for any help.

booboo

Re: NYU to UChicago

Postby booboo » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:25 pm

I have no past information to provide. I merely suggest thinking of the incentives of why UChicago would accept you as a transfer. Transfers are generally a boon to employment prospects since they routinely do well in law school (hence the transfer). If your grades are going to be problematic in terms of employment (assuming pursuit of firm positions), then UChicago will have little incentive to accept you. So even though you're within the same bracket, UChicago likely would reject an opportunity to take a risky employment transfer, especially since it is shifting the risk from one of its competitors.

landpirate

Postby landpirate » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:27 pm

Thanks, that certainly makes sense. I figured that below 50% would be a no go, but I was wondering just how narrow that window was, I guess. Does being from Chicago do anything to bolster my chances?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:28 pm

Probably top third to have a shot. I would think that top quarter would be a sure thing.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:28 pm

landpirate wrote:Does being from Chicago do anything to bolster my chances?

Eh, probably not much, if at all.

Campagnolo

Postby Campagnolo » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:38 pm

Look, I'm a OL, but...

(Rereads what has just typed.)

Never mind.

krasniansky

Postby krasniansky » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:25 am

landpirate wrote:I've tried searching all over the internet for info regarding lateral transfers in the CCN bracket and have come up empty handed. I don't have grades yet, I know that's bad, but I am looking to go from NYU to UChicago for family/personal reasons. Can anyone give me any sort of ball park? I'm just trying to get a basic idea of how feasible this might be. Thanks for any help.

Now I'm just trying to figure out who you are........

quiver

Postby quiver » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:46 am

Helmholtz wrote:Probably top third to have a shot. I would think that top quarter would be a sure thing.
If you have very compelling family reasons I could see you getting accepted with top third, maybe top 40%. Otherwise, Helmholtz is probably right.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:51 am

Agree with the post above. Top third, maybe a bit more with compelling reasons for the transfer. However, Chicago is a much smaller law school so an application to Northwestern might be wise if your reasons for transferring are compelling.

tww909

Postby tww909 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:06 pm

krasniansky wrote:
landpirate wrote:I've tried searching all over the internet for info regarding lateral transfers in the CCN bracket and have come up empty handed. I don't have grades yet, I know that's bad, but I am looking to go from NYU to UChicago for family/personal reasons. Can anyone give me any sort of ball park? I'm just trying to get a basic idea of how feasible this might be. Thanks for any help.

Now I'm just trying to figure out who you are........

my experience of numbers of CCN to HYS transfers suggests that 40% is probably closer to right. that said, chicago took a smaller than usual transfer class last year, so applying ED along with a compelling reason may make things substantially easier for you.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:13 pm

Most conventional wisdom on transfers concerns the upward variety. For true lateral moves, what matters most are your reasons for needing to. Do they show a genuine need? How new (or recently made worse) are they? Schools have limited transfer spots, so for laterals they're going to be paying attention to your motives. If your reasons are solid, grades in the top half are worth at least the app fee, though top third or better will mean much better odds.

Keep in mind that if this is something you should've seen coming, it could backfire. You don't want employers asking why you transferred (and they will), and then wondering why you didn't just go to a Chicago-area school in the first place.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:54 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Keep in mind that if this is something you should've seen coming, it could backfire. You don't want employers asking why you transferred (and they will), and then wondering why you didn't just go to a Chicago-area school in the first place.

A very good point and worth keeping in mind, IMO. One legit reason I could see is that you were rejected from Chicago, admitted to NYU, but dinged from NU because of a lack of work experience. Almost no one is going to raise an eyebrow to choosing NYU over Illinois/ND/Loyola/Depaul/Kent/whatever (but I guess you could make an argument for Michigan if you were admitted). But if you were in at NU, choose NYU, and now want to transfer back to a Chicago school, then you look a bit flaky and employers are going to sense it in a heartbeat.

Return to “Transfers”