Worst Transfer Stats?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Tier4Baller

Worst Transfer Stats?

Postby Tier4Baller » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:56 pm

Hi All! Ok so I finished my first year of law school at a TTTT and now I am on a leave of absence(long story). My question is, what are the worst stats that anyone has ever heard of for someone who successfully transferred? And, what school took him/her? Any insight would be much appreciated! Thanks! (Oh and please excuse the obnoxious username, lol I couldn't resist)
Last edited by Tier4Baller on Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ggibelli

Re: Worst Transfer Stats?

Postby ggibelli » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:58 pm

we won't be able to help out with out #'s.. how did you do (class rank, grades, etc)

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:01 pm

What is your class rank? Your subjective assessment that your grades are "ok" give us no clue as to what your rank actually is.

Tier4Baller

Postby Tier4Baller » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:40 pm

kaiser wrote:What is your class rank? Your subjective assessment that your grades are "ok" give us no clue as to what your rank actually is.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear about what I was asking... I edited the post. I just want to know what the worst (successful) transfer stats have been for people in the past. (my own grades/rankings aside)

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:49 pm

Tier4Baller wrote:
kaiser wrote:What is your class rank? Your subjective assessment that your grades are "ok" give us no clue as to what your rank actually is.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear about what I was asking... I edited the post. I just want to know what the worst (successful) transfer stats have been for people in the past. (my own grades/rankings aside)

Well, it would really depend where you are coming from and going to.
I imagine if you are dead last in your class at Yale, Cooley would still take you. (Well, maybe if you did the PEP program)

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:52 pm

People don't make substantial transfers out of TTTT schools without stellar grades. Even the "worst" such transfers have excellent grades. Bottom line is that, if you plan to make any real move up (i.e. into a top 100 school), your grades need to be much more than "ok". If you want to go to a TTT, rather than a TTTT, decent grades might be enough, but it surely wouldn't be worthwhile to transfer into a TTT absent some kind of geographic consideration.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:02 pm

This is like asking "Who's the worst volleyball player that ever made it to the Olympics?" It's too generic a question to result in useful answers.

Tier4Baller

Postby Tier4Baller » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:41 pm

MrKappus wrote:This is like asking "Who's the worst volleyball player that ever made it to the Olympics?" It's too generic a question to result in useful answers.

Not really, because that's an opinion. All I am asking people is this:

Think of all the people you know who successfully transferred out of a TTTT their second year. Now, of those people, who had the worst stats?

I obviously don't mean the people who transferred to other TTTT or TTT schools. I'm just curious about those who transferred to the top 100.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:47 pm

Tier4Baller wrote:
MrKappus wrote:This is like asking "Who's the worst volleyball player that ever made it to the Olympics?" It's too generic a question to result in useful answers.

Think of all the people you know who successfully transferred out of a TTTT their second year. Now, of those people, who had the worst stats?

I obviously don't mean the people who transferred to other TTTT or TTT schools. I'm just curious about those who transferred to the top 100.

No one is gonna be like "oh, I know someone who had less than stellar grades at a TTTT and managed to transfer into a top 100 school". That doesn't happen. So I don't know what you expect. I mean, if you are anything less than top 10%, then it absolutely out of the question. And thats being generous.

quiver

Postby quiver » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:51 pm

Without your specific stats you're not gonna get any better answers than these:
kaiser wrote:People don't make substantial transfers out of TTTT schools without stellar grades. Even the "worst" such transfers have excellent grades. Bottom line is that, if you plan to make any real move up (i.e. into a top 100 school), your grades need to be much more than "ok". If you want to go to a TTT, rather than a TTTT, decent grades might be enough, but it surely wouldn't be worthwhile to transfer into a TTT absent some kind of geographic consideration.
kaiser wrote:No one is gonna be like "oh, I know someone who had less than stellar grades at a TTTT and managed to transfer into a top 100 school". That doesn't happen. So I don't know what you expect. I mean, if you are anything less than top 10%, then it absolutely out of the question. And thats being generous.

Tier4Baller

Postby Tier4Baller » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:30 pm

kaiser wrote:
Tier4Baller wrote:

No one is gonna be like "oh, I know someone who had less than stellar grades at a TTTT and managed to transfer into a top 100 school". That doesn't happen. So I don't know what you expect. I mean, if you are anything less than top 10%, then it absolutely out of the question. And thats being generous.

This is not true at all. I had classmates who were in the top 30% and got into both UF and FSU. Their only requirement to transfer is that you are in the top 1/3 of your class and they accepted everyone who applied if they met that requirement.

Has anyone heard of any other top 100 schools that accept transfers who fall short of the top 30%? Maybe that should be my question...

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:34 pm

Tier4Baller wrote:Has anyone heard of any other top 100 schools that accept transfers who fall short of the top 30%? Maybe that should be my question...

I just don't think you're going to get a large sample of people on this website who are familiar with the kind of transfers you're asking about. The vast majority of transfers on this website are transferring from, at worst, Top-100 programs and with stellar grades.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:38 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:
Tier4Baller wrote:Has anyone heard of any other top 100 schools that accept transfers who fall short of the top 30%? Maybe that should be my question...

I just don't think you're going to get a large sample of people on this website who are familiar with the kind of transfers you're asking about. The vast majority of transfers on this website are transferring from, at worst, Top-100 programs and with stellar grades.

+1 to this. A different consideration that also complicates things: Where you're transferring from matters, too. A T1 with top 30% might somehow break T14 (this is a hypo, I've never even heard of this) but that doesn't mean someone at a T3 or T4, with the same or better grades, has a snowball's chance in hell at the same T14.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:39 pm

Tier4Baller wrote:
kaiser wrote:
Tier4Baller wrote:

This is not true at all. I had classmates who were in the top 30% and got into both UF and FSU. Their only requirement to transfer is that you are in the top 1/3 of your class and they accepted everyone who applied if they met that requirement.

Has anyone heard of any other top 100 schools that accept transfers who fall short of the top 30%? Maybe that should be my question...

Well then you have the goddamn sample you were looking for all along, don't you? Almost no one on here went to a TTTT school, and almost no one is going to personally know TTTT transfers at their new schools, let alone what their specific class rank was prior to transferring.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:13 pm

Even if this information was available, who cares? Like, what is the point of this thread? Are you trying to gauge your transfer chances? If so, knowing the WORST possible stats you could have isn't exactly useful, unless you plan on applying places where you have the absolute slimmest of chances.

Till_Hammer

Postby Till_Hammer » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:47 pm

I disagree with the premise.

Don't go back to law school.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:24 am

You can transfer to another T4 with fairly poor stats (top 50%...maybe slightly lower). Moving up the tiers will require better grades. Also, the focus is not your GPA, but your class rank percentage. Higher your class rank, the more options you get.

From what I know about T4 transfers (very generic information based on TLS information):

Top 1-3% - Shot at a T14 transfer, good chance of a T1 transfer.
Top 3-5% - Long shot at T14, good chance at a T1.
Top 5-10% - Decent to long shot at a T1, good chance at a T2.
Top 10-15% - Remote chance of a T1, decent chance at a T2, good chance at a T3.
Top 15-25% - Good chance at a T3.
Top 25-50% - Good chance at a T4, decent to long shot at a T3.
Below top 50% - Some T4s might accept you, but chances get slim.

Till_Hammer

Postby Till_Hammer » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:30 pm

Credited.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:24 pm

traehekat wrote:Even if this information was available, who cares? Like, what is the point of this thread? Are you trying to gauge your transfer chances? If so, knowing the WORST possible stats you could have isn't exactly useful, unless you plan on applying places where you have the absolute slimmest of chances.

+1 to both this and throwaway.

There are two reasons that you could be posting this thread:

(1) You have some sort of idle curiosity about transferring, which has nothing to do with your situation. In this case, I'm sorry, but there probably isn't anyone here who can help. Error: sample size too low, as indicated above.

(2) You actually want to know if you have a shot at transferring. In this case, you stated your question the worst way possible. The best way would be to post your stats and ask for advice. Failing that, give us a school/range you're shooting for and we might be able to give you a rough idea what grades you'd need to make it.

In either case, as throwaway said, you probably aren't going to find a lot of information here. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transferapps/ gathers a bloody lot of data from year to year that's available to group members, however.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:32 pm

Tier4Baller wrote:Hi All! Ok so I finished my first year of law school at a TTTT and now I am on a leave of absence(long story). My question is, what are the worst stats that anyone has ever heard of for someone who successfully transferred? And, what school took him/her? Any insight would be much appreciated! Thanks! (Oh and please excuse the obnoxious username, lol I couldn't resist)

If you're looking for the best outcome of the worst possible transfer scenrario, then you have bigger and more important things to worry about. You should probably consider finishing where you are or dropping out.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:53 pm

you won't be transferring

Postby 20130312 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:57 pm

c3pO4 wrote:you won't be transferring

Never thought I'd say this about one of your posts, but... credited.

LOL Skool

Postby LOL Skool » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:33 pm

Well... I guess I'll be the first to actually answer this question rather than be condescending to the OP.

Anyway, I finished my 1L year at TTTT with a class rank just inside the top 40% (not very impressive I admit). My first semester was awful (I entered really young), but I improved immensely my second semester, which seemed to impress the school I transferred to. Also, unlike most other law students, I am a pleasant person with a decent personality. That seemed to impress them as well, and the combination allowed me to transfer from a TTTT to a T1 despite being just inside the top 40%.

Postby 20130312 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:54 pm

LOL Skool wrote:Well... I guess I'll be the first to actually answer this question rather than be condescending to the OP.

Anyway, I finished my 1L year at TTTT with a class rank just inside the top 40% (not very impressive I admit). My first semester was awful (I entered really young), but I improved immensely my second semester, which seemed to impress the school I transferred to. Also, unlike most other law students, I am a pleasant person with a decent personality. That seemed to impress them as well, and the combination allowed me to transfer from a TTTT to a T1 despite being just inside the top 40%.

Hmm, an account created 9 minutes ago solely to make this post... Either 1) an alt of OP or 2) someone new to TLS that really felt strongly about adding their input.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:59 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
LOL Skool wrote:Well... I guess I'll be the first to actually answer this question rather than be condescending to the OP.

Hmm, an account created 9 minutes ago solely to make this post... Either 1) an alt of OP or 2) someone new to TLS that really felt strongly about adding their input.

LOL, I thought the same thing as Option 1 but didn't want to say it out loud.

Return to “Transfers”