What rank needed to transfer from Boston College -->HYS

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

How high do I need to rank?

Top 1%
50%
Top 5%
38%
Top 10%
13%

Total votes: 16

thesteelers

What rank needed to transfer from Boston College -->HYS

Postby thesteelers » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:06 pm

BC 1L here. Working hard.

Don't know if this will make a difference, but my high school was an Ivy League feeder and located in MA. I'm not a legacy though. No douchey comments about that please, I'm really not trying to be a snot here. All I'm looking for is advice, so if you think you don't want to give advice, that's totally fine. Just don't post anything off-topic/unnecessary if you can help it. Thanks!

kaiser

Re: What rank needed to transfer from Boston College -->HYS

Postby kaiser » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:10 pm

First, the only thing that matters, as you probably know, is your 1L grades. That is the end all of transferring. What high school you went to, what undergrad you went to, what LSAT score you got, etc. are all irrelevant. I transferred from BU (to CCN), so I have enough relevant data points to know that, if you want to get into HYS, you need to be at the very least top 5%, and even that isn't a guarantee, as I know of people within the top 5% who didn't get into any of those schools.

thesteelers

Postby thesteelers » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:11 pm

Thanks, I figured it was either top 5 or top 1.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:14 pm

thesteelers wrote:Thanks, I figured it was either top 5 or top 1.

Yeah, I'd say somewhere in between. I would say anyone in the top 3 or 4 people in a section has a realistic shot at H. Y is on another level of selectivity due to its small size and desire to get super well-rounded and quirky characters (i.e. amazing grades alone may not do it for them). I don't even need to begin to explain to you how difficult it is to finish that high, but you will have an idea where you stand when fall semester grades come back.

thesteelers

Postby thesteelers » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:18 pm

Yeah, I'm not keeping Yale as a realistic option, and H/S is still a fantasy at this point. I'm definitely going to blanket the T14 if I get the grades...which is a big if, I know.

Here's what's puzzling me a little: BC and BU are solid schools, so shouldn't there be slightly more leeway with our class rank? I only ask because I see people telling TTT transfers that they need to be absolutely one of the top 3 in their class.

But if someone needs to be in the top 3-5 to go from Creighton Law to HYS, shouldn't there be more wiggle room for a transfer from a T21-27 school?

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:24 pm

thesteelers wrote:Yeah, I'm not keeping Yale as a realistic option, and H/S is still a fantasy at this point. I'm definitely going to blanket the T14 if I get the grades...which is a big if, I know.

Here's what's puzzling me a little: BC and BU are solid schools, so shouldn't there be slightly more leeway with our class rank? I only ask because I see people telling TTT transfers that they need to be absolutely one of the top 3 in their class.

But if someone needs to be in the top 3-5 to go from Creighton Law to HYS, shouldn't there be more wiggle room for a transfer from a T21-27 school?

No one is going from TTT to HYS. I know of people who were #1 in their classes at TTT schools and didn't get HYS. Here is the breakdown from what I gathered. If you want MVP, hit about top 15% and you will likely get one. CCN you probably need top 10% or above. HYS (with emphasis on H) is likely top 5%. You could probably swing something like Virginia or Duke with something a bit lower than top 15%, but I don't think that would be a worthwhile transfer.

thesteelers

Postby thesteelers » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:26 pm

:shock: I didn't even know the top 15% was an option! Thanks though - okay, quitting this thread and TLS, back to the books for me!

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:33 pm

Some good anecdotal evidence: I go to a T2 I have been told that we send a transfer student to Harvard about once every five years.

But Boston College who knows. That may be a bit more of a wild card with transferring.

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:32 am

Top 5% to be competitive -- but this discussion is pointless until you have grades.

In the meantime, use apparel to demoralize others in your section:

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:34 am

IBTL

also, top 1-5%.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:41 am

I doubt they'll give a shit about your sweet high school.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:45 am

Nobody gives a shit about your high school. Get the highest grades you possibly can, whether or not you want to transfer, and stop wasting bandwidth with fucking hypotheticals. The odds are overwhelmingly against you having a shot, but obviously you can ask a more useful question once you have some grades.

quiver

Postby quiver » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:53 am

From a fellow transfer, kaiser has TCRs here.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:54 am

If top 5% from a T30 were competitive for HYS, then that means 15 people are competitive from BC. Multiply that times 30 and suddenly 450 people are "competitive" to transfer to HYS. No. Sorry. Also, your high school's hilariously immaterial. hth.

quiver

Postby quiver » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:56 am

concurrent fork wrote:In the meantime, use apparel to demoralize others in your section:
Oddly enough I actually had a dream during 1L that my school required all the students to wear a t-shirt with their GPA on it...

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:00 am

MrKappus wrote:If top 5% from a T30 were competitive for HYS, then that means 15 people are competitive from BC. Multiply that times 30 and suddenly 450 people are "competitive" to transfer to HYS. No. Sorry. Also, your high school's hilariously immaterial. hth.

Yes, I would say that is a fair assessment of who is competitive, and since they have something like a 10% acceptance rate overall (obviously gonna be a bit lower for transfers) that works out to the 40 or so transfers they take on. I know of people around 5% who got in, and I know someone who was closer to top 1% and didn't get in.

And lets make sense of your multiplication, and keep in mind that Harvard itself is in those 30, so subtract 15 from Harvard (since they aren't transferring into their own school). And obviously subtract out the 15 from Yale and Stanford. So you are left with 415 "competitive" people in this rough estimation. And given the large number of transfers they take, they can still be just as selective and you would expect them to be, and still come out with the size transfer class that they clearly end up with each year.
Last edited by kaiser on Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:01 am

kaiser wrote:
MrKappus wrote:If top 5% from a T30 were competitive for HYS, then that means 15 people are competitive from BC. Multiply that times 30 and suddenly 450 people are "competitive" to transfer to HYS. No. Sorry. Also, your high school's hilariously immaterial. hth.

Yes, I would say that is a fair assessment of who is competitive, and since they have something like a 10% acceptance rate overall (obviously gonna be a bit lower for transfers) that works out to the 40 or so transfers they take on. I know of people around 5% who got in, and I know someone who was closer to top 1% and didn't get in.

So a 10% chance makes a transfer applicant "competitive"? Mmmmmkay.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:04 am

MrKappus wrote:
kaiser wrote:

So a 10% chance makes a transfer applicant "competitive"? Mmmmmkay.

Huh? Who said they have a 10% chance? I said Harvard has a 10% acceptance rate (again, it will be lower for transfers). That doesn't mean that each applicant who applies has a 10% chance of getting in. The #1 kid at Duke or Virginia is essentially a shoe in. The kid at the 5% mark at BC is questionable, but has a chance (as I said, I know a kid from BU/BC who got into Harvard and was right around top 5%, as well as kid ranked higher, closer to top 1%, who did not get in).

And lets be clear with the terms as well. I'm just using "competitive" to mean having any chance at all. If you are outside the top 5% at BC, you have zero shot obviously.

bigeast03

Postby bigeast03 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:13 am

I don't know how valid of an argument that is. You just multiplied 5% of every class of the T30 (including HYS?) to get 450.
Looking at actual transfer data:
In one year, 136 students from schools ranked 26 (BC at the time) to HYS transferred out, while 184 students transferred into HYSCCN with 50 of them going into HYS. Those numbers included 12 BC transfer students, which is approximately top 5%. I don't think you can entirely dismiss the idea that top 5% at least makes you competitive.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:16 am

bigeast03 wrote:

I don't know how valid of an argument that is. You just multiplied 5% of every class of the T30 (including HYS?) to get 450.
In one year, 136 students from schools ranked 26 (BC at the time) to HYS transferred out, while 184 students transferred into HYSCCN with 50 of them going into HYS. Those numbers included 12 BC transfer students, which is approximately top 5%. I don't think you can entirely dismiss the idea that top 5% at least makes you competitive.

I think he was just arguing that "competitive" was too strong a word, whereas I think most of us just throw around the term to mean that one has any chance at all. Though please correct me if I am wrong.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:20 am

bigeast03 wrote:

I guess I was just focusing on the word "competitive." I don't have a dog in this fight, don't get me wrong. And I love new data that show I'm not as informed as I should be. What's your source for 12 BC students transferring to T6?

bigeast03

Postby bigeast03 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:31 am

MrKappus wrote:
bigeast03 wrote:

I guess I was just focusing on the word "competitive." I don't have a dog in this fight, don't get me wrong. And I love new data that shows I'm not as informed as I should be. What's your source for 12 BC students transferring to T6?

Nor do I have a dog in this fight either. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just felt that post was unnecessarily dismissive. The data that I found don't provide information on where the students wound up, I just pointed to the fact that 136 (including 12 from BC) transferred (presumably up) while HYSCCN accepted 184 students. I could be wrong in assuming a good number of those 136 ended up taking some of the 184 seats. All I wanted to say was that it certainly is a possibility, and not many of us know enough to say with certainty one way or another.
The data itself were from the ABA-LSAC Official Guide for 2010, though it used 2008 data.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:33 am

Return to “Transfers”