3rd year visiting student

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
c3pO4

3rd year visiting student

Postby c3pO4 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:28 am

Anybody have insight on this?

T30 ---> T14 or T50 in home market. When they say it's based on compelling need and not gpa, how true is that?

Hovering around median but have family in the home market (and lived there for 20+ years) plus sig-o (living together 4 years but not engaged yet) with job offers back there. Also my 2L SA is in the home market, at a firm that gives close to 100% offers. Would really love to move home one year early and spend some time with the fam before school is over.

Odds of getting to the lower ranked school should be pretty good , right ? At the higher ranked, is need really all that matters or will a so-so gpa at a so-so school lead to ding?

dimreturns

Re: 3rd year visiting student

Postby dimreturns » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:48 am

c3pO4 wrote:Anybody have insight on this?

T30 ---> T14 or T50 in home market. When they say it's based on compelling need and not gpa, how true is that?

Hovering around median but have family in the home market (and lived there for 20+ years) plus sig-o (living together 4 years but not engaged yet) with job offers back there. Also my 2L SA is in the home market, at a firm that gives close to 100% offers. Would really love to move home one year early and spend some time with the fam before school is over.

Odds of getting to the lower ranked school should be pretty good , right ? At the higher ranked, is need really all that matters or will a so-so gpa at a so-so school lead to ding?

OP: I don't think the GPA will be an issue, I really think it's about the local connection. Do you know that your current school will be cool with it? I think that might actually be the bigger hurdle...

I've also been considering this, for me I'd be coming from a T10 to a T14. My question is: is this a good idea? I really would like to spend my 3rd year of Law School in my home market, where I'll be going to work after LS. It seems to me the primary costs of visiting for 3L are: 1) loss of an extra year of school at my current school (I love the school itself, just not the location); missed opportunities for further work with professors, etc. 2) will look weird on the transcript long term. 3) would I have to clear this with the firm I'll be an SA at next summer? I don't think they'll care since they recruit at the T14 and since I'd be going to school in the same city as the firm I'll be SAing at...

TLS thoughts on this? Good/Bad idea? Suck it up and finish the 3rd year at my current school??

dimreturns

Postby dimreturns » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:21 pm

bump

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:18 pm

dimreturns wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:Anybody have insight on this?

OP: I don't think the GPA will be an issue, I really think it's about the local connection. Do you know that your current school will be cool with it? I think that might actually be the bigger hurdle...

I've also been considering this, for me I'd be coming from a T10 to a T14. My question is: is this a good idea? I really would like to spend my 3rd year of Law School in my home market, where I'll be going to work after LS. It seems to me the primary costs of visiting for 3L are: 1) loss of an extra year of school at my current school (I love the school itself, just not the location); missed opportunities for further work with professors, etc. 2) will look weird on the transcript long term. 3) would I have to clear this with the firm I'll be an SA at next summer? I don't think they'll care since they recruit at the T14 and since I'd be going to school in the same city as the firm I'll be SAing at...

TLS thoughts on this? Good/Bad idea? Suck it up and finish the 3rd year at my current school??

your firm will not care that you are visiting at Georgetown/Northwestern. Enjoy DC/Chicago.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:34 pm

What about visiting santa clara/hastings from wash/lee? Firm is V75. Will try for boalt too...that's why I'm wondering if need is really all that matters.

Return to “Transfers”