Question about NU's Accelerated JD- Transfer In?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
law777

Question about NU's Accelerated JD- Transfer In?

Postby law777 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:23 am

Hey everyone,

Due to a change in personal circumstances, it would be very beneficial if I were able to graduate in two years (NU's accelerated JD program could provide the answer). The problem is - I have already begun 1L at another law school.

Does anyone know if there is a way to transfer into the NU Accelerated JD program? Perhaps taking classes through the summer after 1L instead of working? My post-graduation employment is already solidified, so this is not a concern.

(Note: I am already at a T14, so this wouldn't be a transfer up, to the extent that it matters).

Thanks in advance.

IAFG

Re: Question about NU's Accelerated JD- Transfer In?

Postby IAFG » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:28 am

It likely wouldn't be possible simply because you must do a full semester the summer prior to 1L.

That said, the AJDs accomplish what they do by taking heavier loads and having one additional summer. It's theoretically possible for someone to finish at NU a year early by taking maximally heavy loads and taking a big load over 1L summer. It's not like the program is letting them take fewer hours than everyone else. If your school will allow you to get ahead on credits and then not attend 3L like NU does, you might be able to "make" an AJD for yourself. I know of at least one person who wrapped up a semester early at a school that isn't NU.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:40 am

IAFG wrote:It likely wouldn't be possible simply because you must do a full semester the summer prior to 1L.

That said, the AJDs accomplish what they do by taking heavier loads and having one additional summer. It's theoretically possible for someone to finish at NU a year early by taking maximally heavy loads and taking a big load over 1L summer. It's not like the program is letting them take fewer hours than everyone else. If your school will allow you to get ahead on credits and then not attend 3L like NU does, you might be able to "make" an AJD for yourself. I know of at least one person who wrapped up a semester early at a school that isn't NU.

OP here, thanks for the above. I just checked, and my school does not allow students to graduate early. Does anyone have an idea of what other T14 schools might allow for early graduation?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:51 am

Nope, but I recommend talking to someone in the administration and making sure. I don't think NU officially allows it for regular JDs either, but if your circumstances are compelling, they might compromise. Also, if you do well this year, schools have been known to respond to transfer threats.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:10 am

I'm at NU and someone is graduating "early". They have enough credits to graduate one semester early and just have to walk in May with everyone else. As for transferring into the AJD program, its doubtful. The AJDs take 17 credit hours a semester and have abbreviated 1L classes over the summer leading into "1L" year. I'm not sure exactly how many credits their summer counts towards but if they have to do the same amount of credits as regular JDs then its like 16. 16+17(4) = 84. Anyway, its theoretically possible to graduate early by taking intersession courses (2cr courses over wb or sb) or ITP (4cr course over sb) but i think it would be extremely difficult if you don't do it from the get go. Especially because when you transfer schools ABA only allows you to take over 28 credits. You'd really have to bust your ass the last year and take a boatload of credits over the summer (like a full course load).

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:09 am

OP: Which Top 14 law school prohibits early graduation ? Does this apply even if you enroll in this school's summer courses ? Most law schools require attendance for a certain number of terms rather than requiring all to graduate at the same time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:21 am

OP here. Thanks for the info everyone.

@ CanadianWolf - I am at S - the school specifies that you must be "in residence" for nine terms (remember, it is on the quarter system). So, if I were to stay on campus for both summer sessions, I would still only be able to leave campus after December of my final year (bringing the total to 2.5 yrs).

@ Anonymous - thanks for the help. Maybe I would get credit for more courses than the traditional student at another school because S is on the quarter system? I will have taken 3 "semesters" worth of courses, and the AJD group will have taken 3 as well (summer, fall, and spring). Does this change the calculus?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:03 pm

I am an NU transfer and I am relatively certain you cannot transfer into the AJD program. That program is so tightly run because there just isn't that much time to get everything done, I'd be shocked if there was a way to shortcut it.

Return to “Transfers”