Transferring out of a T4

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
oliviacullen

Transferring out of a T4

Postby oliviacullen » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:57 pm

I am currently attending a T4 in FL. I decided to stay in my hometown for financial reasons, but now realize that I made a huge mistake. Dealing with the administration is awful, and the overall environment is negative and discouraging. Needless to say it is definitely not an ideal learning environment.

Finals are coming up in six weeks, and I keep focusing on the fact that if I do well I may be able to transfer out of this nightmare.

I plan on sending transfer applications to Stetson, UF, Miami, FSU, and FIU. Has anyone ever heard of any T4 transfers being accepted into these schools?

I know FIU is also a T4, but at this point I am willing to transfer anywhere (in state) to escape.

harborleaguemvp

Re: Transferring out of a T4

Postby harborleaguemvp » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:05 pm

T4 to Boalt...it happens

oliviacullen

Postby oliviacullen » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:11 pm

Thank you, Harbor. T4 to Boalt is very encouraging.

My school grades on a very harsh curve so I am mainly worried about admissions at these schools taking one look at my GPA and laughing. I guess I really need to emphasize class rank when I start filling out my applications after the first of the year.

king3780

Postby king3780 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:16 pm

oliviacullen wrote:Thank you, Harbor. T4 to Boalt is very encouraging.

My school grades on a very harsh curve so I am mainly worried about admissions at these schools taking one look at my GPA and laughing. I guess I really need to emphasize class rank when I start filling out my applications after the first of the year.

Just FYI, I'm pretty sure you need a full year of grades before you can transfer. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but filling out apps after the first of the year is a non-starter (unless there's some school I haven't heard of that allows mid-year transfers) and you'll be there until summer.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:18 pm

There are several law schools that accept transfers based on one semester's grades, but you have to finish out your full first year before starting as a 2L at the new law school.

oliviacullen

Postby oliviacullen » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:20 pm

Post, FSU takes midyear transfers and Florida takes summer transfers. I am not counting on being able to transfer before fall 2012, but I want to have all of my ducks in a row before then.

DanielFaraday

Postby DanielFaraday » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:29 am

If you can swing the LoR this early, I would recommend trying to EA at GULC. They only judge you based on 1 semester's worth of grades, so it can take a little pressure off if you're accepted.. You'll need to be in the top 1% coming from a T4 to be considered though. They also may defer you to regular decision. If you're accepted EA, they require a seat deposit pretty quick. Make sure it's what you want to do.

If you're dead set on staying in Florida;
I would say you'd have a shot at UF if you're in the top 5-10%
FSU is probably 10-20%
And I would stay away from the Miami market if you can. Expensive school with fairly dismal employment prospects. Not that anywhere is fantastic.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:09 am

OP - you may be better off staying where you are if your grades are impressive (top 5-10%), as I don't see the real benefit of graduating from Florida/Miami/FSU over being FIU Summa/Magna.

However, you don't have any grades yet. One step at a time.

AriGoldButNicer

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:46 pm

It may be paranoid and law school grading is anonymous, but I don't trust corporations that lie in marketing. It is far fetched but possible that letting your school know your plan to transfer this early may hurt your odds of transferring.

RodneyBoonfield

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:17 pm

Last edited by RodneyBoonfield on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

oliviacullen

Postby oliviacullen » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:37 pm

Ari, I could not agree with you more. There is actually a rumor going around at my school that if administration finds out you are looking to escape they will purposefully delay a letter of good standing (or grades) come May. Also, professors are much less likely to write good LORs.

Thank you all for the advice and feedback. It is very helpful.

oliviacullen

Postby oliviacullen » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:44 pm

Rodney, UF is my first choice. Gainesville is the most convenient location if I decide to commute. I have family that lives in Ocala and can stay with them four nights a week.

Also, Gators are very loyal to their recent grads in my hometown. They practically have a monopoly on the legal field here.

HebrewHammer

Postby HebrewHammer » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:26 pm

Just for encouragement, I transferred from a T4 to UF this year. A large portion of the incoming transfer class were from T4s. Got into Stetson and FSU as well.

As everyone on here says, worry about doing your best and everything else will fall into place. Use the desire to transfer as motivation but don't burn any bridges along the way.

Good luck

random5483

Postby random5483 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:19 pm

Students from T4s at the very top of their class have a shot at T14 or maybe even T10 schools. The problem is that students outside the top 10% (or even 5%) have limited options for transferring. Transferring from a T4 is hard. Your best bet is to try and get the highest possible grade you can.

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:19 am

random5483 wrote:Students from T4s at the very top of their class have a shot at T14 or maybe even T10 schools. The problem is that students outside the top 10% (or even 5%) have limited options for transferring. Transferring from a T4 is hard. Your best bet is to try and get the highest possible grade you can.

caveat: successful T4 to T10/14 schools generally attend schools that are in the primary market of the T10/14. For example, I know of one transfer from NYLS (was ranked #1, amongst many other impressive accomplishments) who made the jump to CLS/NYU. It's probably safe to say that CLS/NYU are going to be less interested in a Barry student, however.

quiver

Postby quiver » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:10 pm

koalatriste wrote:
random5483 wrote:Students from T4s at the very top of their class have a shot at T14 or maybe even T10 schools. The problem is that students outside the top 10% (or even 5%) have limited options for transferring. Transferring from a T4 is hard. Your best bet is to try and get the highest possible grade you can.

caveat: successful T4 to T10/14 schools generally attend schools that are in the primary market of the T10/14. For example, I know of one transfer from NYLS (was ranked #1, amongst many other impressive accomplishments) who made the jump to CLS/NYU. It's probably safe to say that CLS/NYU are going to be less interested in a Barry student, however.
Good point. Completely agree with this.

Return to “Transfers”