Transferring to Case Western from a bottom T-100 Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MU2009

New

Transferring to Case Western from a bottom T-100

Post by MU2009 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:12 pm

So I am in the top 1/3 of my class after 1 semester at a school ranked near the bottom of the latest US News Top 100. What would be my chances of transferring into Case Western after the 2nd semester if I stay around the top 1/3? Thanks.

bport hopeful

Gold

Re: Transferring to Case Western from a bottom T-100

Post by bport hopeful » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:14 pm

Im a 1L and dont know much about transfers, but id guess you be competitive. Its essentially a lateral transfer (not quite, but close enough).

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:51 pm

MU2009 wrote:So I am in the top 1/3 of my class after 1 semester at a school ranked near the bottom of the latest US News Top
100. What would be my chances of transferring into Case Western after the 2nd semester if I stay around the top 1/3? Thanks.
Did you start in the spring?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:05 pm

Very high.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:44 am

you have a shot at washu, uiuc, ND or emory. if you are paying sticker you mgiht as well go to the best school possible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NoJob

Bronze

Post by NoJob » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:45 am

MU2009 wrote:So I am in the top 1/3 of my class after 1 semester at a school ranked near the bottom of the latest US News Top 100. What would be my chances of transferring into Case Western after the 2nd semester if I stay around the top 1/3? Thanks.
There are many unemployed CWRU grads around. You will be screwed come OCI as you are not tested at CWRU, and employers will only have your first set of grades to look at from your TTT.

U should prolly drop out.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:52 pm

NoJob wrote:
MU2009 wrote:So I am in the top 1/3 of my class after 1 semester at a school ranked near the bottom of the latest US News Top 100. What would be my chances of transferring into Case Western after the 2nd semester if I stay around the top 1/3? Thanks.
There are many unemployed CWRU grads around. You will be screwed come OCI as you are not tested at CWRU, and employers will only have your first set of grades to look at from your TTT.

This post is full of dumb.

NoJob

Bronze

Post by NoJob » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:09 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
NoJob wrote:

What is wrong here? Do you realize that where you go to school matters tremendously? Employers will not view OP as on par with someone from Case who is in the top 1/3 of their class. OP didn't take the classes at Case; OP took the classes at some TTT. The hiring partner will simply move on to the next candidate.

Since OP is prolly screwed not being in the top 5 of their class from their TTT (anything below T50 is pretty much a TTT), OP is likely better off cutting their losses and moving on. Servicing 30K of debt with a shitty job is easier than servicing a 100k with a shitty job.

OP, I can't link to a blog due to the TLS Nazis but go to INSIDE THE LAW SCHOOL SCAM by Professor Campos at the University of Colorado. Some amazing work was recently done by an Ohio attorney using FOIA requests which produced the best employment figures that I have ever seen for Ohio. Better than US News and even the Law School Transparency Project. What you will see are disgusting abysmal numbers from OSU which is ranked higher than Case and is more respected IMO and cheaper too. You will see even worse numbers from Toledo (which used to be ranked higher when they admitted lesser candidates to only their part time program). This is the Ohio job market that awaits you even if you are lucky to transfer. I have met JDs from OSU and Case who lament their decision to attend law school.

And, there are even attorneys from T14 schools who I have met who work as doc reviewers. The delusional fools here will tell you that I am wrong, but I am absolutely right in suggesting that you drop out and try to get a job.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:12 pm

NoJob wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:
NoJob wrote:

What is wrong here? Do you realize that where you go to school matters tremendously?

Since OP is prolly screwed not being in the top 5 of their class from their TTT (anything below T50 is pretty much a TTT), then OP is likely better off cutting their losses and moving on. Servicing 30K of debt with a shitty job is easier than servicing a 100k with a shitty job.

OP, I can't link to a blog due to the TLS Nazis but go to INSIDE THE LAW SCHOOL SCAM from Professor Campos at the University of Colorado. Some amazing work was recently done by an Ohio attorney using FOIA requests which produced the best employment figures that I have ever seen for Ohio. Better than US News and even the Law School Transparency Project. What you will see are disgusting abysmal numbers from OSU which is ranked higher than Case and is more respected IMO and cheaper too. You will see even worse numbers from Toledo (which used to be ranked higher when they admitted lesser candidates to only their part time program). This is the Ohio job market that awaits you even if you are lucky to transfer. I have met JDs from OSU and Case who lament their decision to attend law school.

And, there are even attorneys from T14 schools who I have met who work as doc reviewers. The delusional fools here will tell you that I am wrong, but I am absolutely right in suggesting that you drop out and try to get a job.
For starters, OP goes to a TT not a TTT, and is the top 1/3 of their class.

OP, you should not drop out.

HTH

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NoJob

Bronze

Post by NoJob » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:41 pm

bport hopeful wrote:

HTH
The Editor-in-Chief of the Chicago Kent Law Review from the Class of 2010 is unemployed and likely has a higher class rank than the OP. Chicago Kent is a TTT but is somehow ranked the 61st most awesome law school according to US News. See http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... kent-03046. OP says that their school is at the bottom of the top 100 which means lower than Chicago Kent.

So, if a student at a higher-ranked school than OP with probably a higher class rank than OP and who was the head of the Law Reviw is having trouble, then it follows that people with worse credentials (like the OP) are in trouble.

Any more objections since, by your post, you suggest that you have more?

OP, you are in a position right now, especially with decent grades, to drop out and go do something else. You can tell employers that law was not for your and that you wanted to do SOMETHING MEANINGFUL with your life. Since you have good grades, people are more likely to believe. But, don't waste the next two years of your life only to become a professional doc reviewer like a number of CWRU law grads.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:48 pm

NoJob wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:

HTH
The Editor-in-Chief of the Chicago Kent Law Review from the Class of 2010 is unemployed and likely has a higher class rank than the OP. Chicago Kent is a TTT but is somehow ranked the 61st most awesome law school according to US News. See http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... kent-03046. OP says that their school is at the bottom of the top 100 which means lower than Chicago Kent.

So, if a student at a higher-ranked school than OP with probably a higher class rank than OP and who was the head of the Law Reviw is having trouble, then it follows that people with worse credentials (like the OP) are in trouble.

OP, you are in a position right now, especially with decent grades, to drop out and go do something else. You can tell employers that law was not for your and that you wanted to do SOMETHING MEANINGFUL with your life. Since you have good grades, people are more likely to believe. But, don't waste the next two years of your life only to become a professional doc reviewer like a number of CWRU law grads.
Youre a fuck head.

Lower end of the Top 100 means hes in the top 100.

Tier 1 = 1-50
Tier 2 = 51-100
Tier 3= >100

OP goes to a TT.

Work on that one first.

NoJob

Bronze

Post by NoJob » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:01 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
NoJob wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:

HTH

Youre a fuck head.

Tier 1 = 1-50
Tier 2 = 51-100
Tier 3= >100

OP goes to a TT.

Work on that one first.
Asswipe, your red herring is irrelevant to the main issue of what sort of career OP will have coming out CWRU or whatever festering toilet he/she is at right now.

Do you dispute the data compiled by James Dolin in Ohio? Do you think the Ohio job market is better than what the numbers say? Do you think that CWRU, a lower ranked school than OSU, will have better job placement stats?

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:17 pm

NoJob wrote:
bport hopeful wrote: Youre a fuck head.

Tier 1 = 1-50
Tier 2 = 51-100
Tier 3= >100

OP goes to a TT.

Work on that one first.
Asswipe, your red herring is irrelevant to the main issue of what sort of career OP will have coming out CWRU or whatever festering toilet he/she is at right now.

Do you dispute the data compiled by James Dolin in Ohio? Do you think the Ohio job market is better than what the numbers say? Do you think that CWRU, a lower ranked school than OSU, will have better job placement stats?
(1) Calling a Red Herring irrelevant is Redundant as shit.
(2) Its not a Red Herring, because my point relies on the difference between a TT and a TTT. And theres a big difference
(3) No one likes the philosophy kid, and no one cares about the list of fallacies you compiled throughout UG
(4) To say that someone should drop out of their TT when they are in the TOP FUCKING THIRD is ludicrous, which is what my point was
(5) If you think I read that stupid ass shit you posted which has nothing to do with what Im saying, you are one high mother fucker

OP, because I dont want to totally derail, heres my advice. CWRU is just a little higher than a lateral school to you. Id aim higher, unless you have a good reason for being in Cleveland (if there is such a thing) or Ohio. Even then, I would consider OSU.

If you have no ties their tho, definitely aim higher.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ersatz Haderach

Bronze

Post by Ersatz Haderach » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:21 pm

As a current Case student, yes, you'd probably get in, assuming there's no compelling reason not to admit you - most of the transfers I've met come from similar, if not lower-ranked schools. But, I have to echo some others in this thread, why Case? Do you want to work in Cleveland? Is the lateral T2 move worth whatever money it will cost you?

The other thing is, will you get to do OCI? What there is of it isn't awful if you're looking for a Cleveland/Ohio job (in that order), but if you're around 33% at your current school, I'd guess your best-case scenario here is that you get ranked the same here, and that isn't going to get you too many interviews, and will certainly rule out the small selection of really great interviews. Will there be a bias against you because you're a transfer? I don't really know.

In response to the thrilling and dignified discussion between NoJob and bport: It is generally true that bad grades at a school outside the T50 means a non-ideal job or no job, and that even good students have trouble finding jobs. It is a very poor legal market, and if you are not prepared to be flexible or are somehow assured of a job, you should beware of any law school, let alone a low-ranked one. Case is not high-ranked. It is a regional law school with aspirations of being something greater. You will get a good education, but you may not get a job. Consider your options carefully, and try to get into a T1 school if you can. I'm doing fine at Case, but it's obvious not everyone is going to come out with a job.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:39 pm

The kid from Chiago-Kent got a job at a market paying firm. I forget where and when, but he's fine now.

With that said, if you're below 1/3 at a TT/TTT then I highly recommend dropping out unless you're sure you can land something. I was going to drop out if I was below 33% after 1L. It's brutal out there.

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:36 am

i think yall are idiots

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:02 am

thederangedwang wrote:i think yall are idiots
Cool story.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:48 am

beach_terror wrote:The kid from Chiago-Kent got a job at a market paying firm. I forget where and when, but he's fine now.

With that said, if you're below 1/3 at a TT/TTT then I highly recommend dropping out unless you're sure you can land something. I was going to drop out if I was below 33% after 1L. It's brutal out there.
What a surprise, the absurd anecdote turned out to not be true. I wonder if the same goes for NoJob's other posts...

RaleighStClair

Bronze

Post by RaleighStClair » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:10 pm

NoJob has the mentality of areyouinsane, except with absolutely no credibility as judged from his posts ITT.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:15 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:NoJob has the mentality of areyouinsane, except with absolutely no credibility as judged from his posts ITT.
this is true.

Its not just that the shit he was saying was stupid, its also that he was just not reading what was being said to him. To me that screams insanity

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:24 am

I'm not gonna lie, he/she is totally right. If you are below top 1/3 at a non-t14 you need to drop out.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

blackandyellow

New

Post by blackandyellow » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:23 pm

barring some sort of large miracle you will not get a biglaw job with top 1/3 from the bottom t100.
Transferring to Case will not help you that much. I knwo friends that are in the top 10% that do not have jobs. Many of the Cleveland firms are only hiring a handful of SAs. Some of the biggest players are not even hiring any!

Even during the best of days in 07 Case was placing only around 10-15% nlj250.

You might as well shoot for emory, ND or UIUC. At least you will get a clean plate when you go there and you have a chance at fed clerkships or state clerkships. I don't think Case placed a single person in a fed clerkship last year.

I think nojob is on to something. Most of you are 1Ls on this forum. You guys do not know how bad it is out there until you go through OCI.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:31 pm

1) Moved to Transfers forum.

2) Gave NoJob a lengthy timeout. When people ask for transfer advice, "drop out" is not really helpful, but what's far worse is becoming combative with people who disagree with you. We don't need every transfer-advice thread to turn into one of these arguments.

Don't derail threads when people are asking for transfer advice. I won't like it, which means you won't like it.

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:53 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:NoJob has the mentality of areyouinsane, except with absolutely no credibility as judged from his posts ITT.

At least areyouinsane is highly entertaining.

To OP, I'd shoot for better grades and aiming to transfer higher, but I'd imagine that, to answer your question, Case would probably be in the picture if you kept your grades up.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:56 pm

beach_terror wrote:I'm not gonna lie, he/she is totally right. If you are below top 1/3 at a non-t14 you need to drop out.
OP is above the top 1/3 though, and I dont necessarily agree with this.

OP I was wondering what city youre in?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”