Transfer Students Now Ineligible for Order of the Coif

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
meatmarket

Transfer Students Now Ineligible for Order of the Coif

Postby meatmarket » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:51 am

Last edited by meatmarket on Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Transfer Students Now Ineligible for Order of the Coif

Postby 09042014 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:56 am

As it should be.

maf70

Postby maf70 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:58 am

Every school I applied to made this abundantly clear...this isn't news.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:25 am

Some schools informed me transfers are eligible and others told me specifically that they are not. However, I did not base my transfer decision on an honor like Order of the Coif.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:58 am

I don't think this is hostility. Here at NU, where there is substantial grade inflation after 1L, it would be unfair for a transfer student to be eligible for Coif when only incorporating 2L and 3L grades. At a place like UVA, where nearly all classes remain on the 1L curve, things would be different.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:59 pm

My old school wasn't even part of Order of the Coif and never gave that out, so I don't particularly care. At least here, transfers are still eligible for all the school's honors.

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:02 pm

Last edited by Transferthrowaway on Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:58 pm

I'm ineligible for Order of the Coif 'cause they don't award it here.

transplantedbuckeye

Postby transplantedbuckeye » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:55 pm

FWIW, WUSTL allowed transfer students to be chosen for Order of the Coif.

nleefer

Postby nleefer » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:56 pm

From Boalt website, don't know if it will change or not now...

Transfer students who come to Boalt at the start of their second year are eligible for Coif membership based exclusively on their graded courses at Boalt. Again, at least 75% of their total required law school credits (at Boalt and before) must be in graded courses. At a minimum, transfer students must have 36 graded credits in their two years at Boalt to qualify for membership.
http://www.law.berkeley.edu/190.htm

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:49 pm

No problem with this as long as it was made clear *before* people made the decision to transfer in. If it was jumped on people afterwards, beyond the pale doesn't even come close.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:50 pm

So what? You likely got a huge boost from transferring, and that more than outweighs any particular graduation honor.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:00 pm

kaiser wrote:So what? You likely got a huge boost from transferring, and that more than outweighs any particular graduation honor.

If it hits current 3Ls, the prospect of certain graduation honors completely changes how many people approach coursework.

If it only hits incoming 2Ls, in some cases availability of graduation honors might influence someone's decision among schools that are otherwise equal. In addition, I would say that a school that doesn't allow transfers to get coif or honors is communicating something about how they view transfer students (or, alternatively, how seriously the school takes its 2L/3L curriculum).

If a transfer comes in and takes all uncurved (or higher-curved classes), I admit that they probably shouldn't have access to honors. But I would say the same of "natives" who pad their GPAs in 2L/3L, too. If you want to go that route, do it more directly: make honors and such contingent on having a certain percentage of your classes be curved classes. The schools that do away with the curve during 2L and 3L are doing it wrong anyway.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:30 pm

An individual school's honors is different from Order of the Coif, which is apparently an outside organization that some schools use as a separate "honors". At least, that's what they told us at Michigan transfer orientation. We're all still eligible for standard latin honors, just not Order of the Coif (which my old school didn't even participate in, so it doesn't matter for me).

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:08 pm

Oh, did this come down from the coif organization itself? If that's the case, so it goes - can't really fault the school for that, and no one in their right mind would completely forgo transfering just to get coif.

Jchance

Postby Jchance » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:51 pm

FYI this is no longer true. After mid-2014, transfer students are now eligible for Order of the Coif because this new rule allows you to count your 1L classes from old school toward your 75% of graded credits. This came from the Coif organization and applies to all schools.

Return to “Transfers”