Schools that offer Scholarships to Transfer Students

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sparty99

Schools that offer Scholarships to Transfer Students

Postby sparty99 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:28 pm

Some schools do not provide scholarship money to transfer students. Do you know of any schools in the top 25 that provide scholarship money to transfer students? If yes, can you provide your ranking or amount of money that you received.

maf70

Re: Schools that offer Scholarships to Transfer Students

Postby maf70 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:16 pm

I don't know of one Top 25 school that offers merit scholarships. Some might give need-based, but by the time you're admitted as a transfer all of that money is usually gone.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:23 pm

Transfers don't get money. I have never heard of any exceptions, but that doesn't mean it never happens.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:44 pm

Lawquacious wrote:Transfers don't get money. I have never heard of any exceptions, but that doesn't mean it never happens.

This. It's rare enough that I don't know anyone who's gotten any.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 am

Some schools give need based grants to transfers. I know UC Davis offered a friend of mine a 13k need based grant as a transfer. Which means, other UC schools (UCLA/Berkeley/Hastings) might do the same as well. Don't know of any schools that offer scholarships to transfers.

Dman

Postby Dman » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:11 pm

random5483 wrote:Some schools give need based grants to transfers. I know UC Davis offered a friend of mine a 13k need based grant as a transfer. Which means, other UC schools (UCLA/Berkeley/Hastings) might do the same as well. Don't know of any schools that offer scholarships to transfers.

I got need based money as a transfer at UCLA as a 3L, but not a 2L. Nevertheless, it was a very welcome surprise.

maf70

Postby maf70 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:42 pm

I heard that Case Western gives money...about ~8k to some transfers.

mrosmith

Postby mrosmith » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:43 pm

GULC gave me 30k in need-based aid.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:41 am

GULC has a policy that any need-based aid that is freed-up by people transfering out is made available to people transfering in.

I thought Harvard made need-based aid available to transfers on the same terms as everyone else, same for Yale, but Van would seem to indicate that I am wrong about that...

Peeblepop

Postby Peeblepop » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:40 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:GULC has a policy that any need-based aid that is freed-up by people transfering out is made available to people transfering in.

I thought Harvard made need-based aid available to transfers on the same terms as everyone else, same for Yale, but Van would seem to indicate that I am wrong about that...

You're right about that. I got 30k need based aid from Harvard as a transfer.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:39 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:GULC has a policy that any need-based aid that is freed-up by people transfering out is made available to people transfering in.

I apologize. When I answered this earlier I was thinking about scholarships and merit aid. The OP asked about scholarships and what rank you need to earn them, and nothing of that sort exists.

However, it's true that HLS (and from what I understand, possibly also Y and S) makes need-based grants available to transfer students on the same terms as other students. I know this is true because I received some need-based aid myself. This isn't "scholarship money", though; you have no way of knowing whether you're eligible for it until after you've matriculated, and it's completely unrelated to academic performance or recruiting.

Hope that clarifies.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:45 pm

I contacted a number of schools asking about scholarships and some stated that they do offer scholarships to transfer students. So, it exists.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:59 am

sparty99 wrote:I contacted a number of schools asking about scholarships and some stated that they do offer scholarships to transfer students. So, it exists.

None of the top schools (that I know of) offer merit scholarships to transfers. Any law student can apply for various scholarships while attending an ABA school but those are not school merit scholarships. Unless you are looking at lower ranked schools, I doubt any will offer you a scholarship. None of the T14 schools I applied to offered them and I applied to over half of them.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:28 am

@Sparty99: Which law schools told you that they offer merit scholarships to transfer students ?

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:11 am

CanadianWolf wrote:@Sparty99: Which law schools told you that they offer merit scholarships to transfer students ?

I don't want to comment on my due diligence as I don't want to increase the applicant pool.

Wart

Postby Wart » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:05 pm

Ignore Sparty, he's pretty much insane. Check out his posts in the "Illinois suspends Dean of Admissions" thread for proof.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

sparty99 wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:@Sparty99: Which law schools told you that they offer merit scholarships to transfer students ?

I don't want to comment on my due diligence as I don't want to increase the applicant pool.

In other words, we should accept that schools award merit scholarship money to transfers, based not even on a claim that you have proof such scholarships are awarded, but solely on your word that you were told they exist?

I think this is the correct answer:

Wart wrote:Ignore Sparty, he's pretty much insane.

Kurst

Postby Kurst » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:00 pm

sparty99 wrote:Some schools do not provide scholarship money to transfer students. Do you know of any schools in the top 25 that provide scholarship money to transfer students? If yes, can you provide your ranking or amount of money that you received.... I contacted a number of schools asking about scholarships and some stated that they do offer scholarships to transfer students. So, it exists.

sparty99 wrote:

You ask us to share scholarship info, but decline to share any info that you already have?

vanwinkle wrote:

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:25 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
sparty99 wrote:

In other words, we should accept that schools award merit scholarship money to transfers, based not even on a claim that you have proof such scholarships are awarded, but solely on your word that you were told they exist?

Providing proof that scholarship awards exist is none of my concern. I asked a question for my own benefit and based on the answers, I now know of several schools that offer need based assistance. Additionally, through my own initiative, I now know that some Top 25 programs provide scholarship assistance to transfers. Whether you believe me or not is none of my concern.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:39 pm

sparty99 wrote:Providing proof that scholarship awards exist is none of my concern. I asked a question for my own benefit and based on the answers, I now know of several schools that offer need based assistance. Additionally, through my own initiative, I now know that some Top 25 programs provide scholarship assistance to transfers. Whether you believe me or not is none of my concern.

vanwinkle wrote:

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:46 pm

sparty99 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
sparty99 wrote:

Providing proof that scholarship awards exist is none of my concern. I asked a question for my own benefit and based on the answers, I now know of several schools that offer need based assistance. Additionally, through my own initiative, I now know that some Top 25 programs provide scholarship assistance to transfers. Whether you believe me or not is none of my concern.

Wow, you're a pleasant person.

I.P. Daly

Postby I.P. Daly » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:43 pm

sparty99 wrote:Providing proof that scholarship awards exist is none of my concern. I asked a question for my own benefit and based on the answers, I now know of several schools that offer need based assistance. Additionally, through my own initiative, I now know that some Top 25 programs provide scholarship assistance to transfers. Whether you believe me or not is none of my concern.

Two words: Robot Pimp.

(seems like a Paper Chase moment)

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:56 am

lol this person must be swimming in friends......

Return to “Transfers”