2011 Transfer OCI Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2011 Transfer OCI

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:31 pm

Top 25 w/ LR to HYS.

28 Screeners
15 Callbacks offered
9 Callbacks accepted
7 Offers (1 V5, 1 V10, 2 V15, 1 V30, 2 V50)

Hope that helps, good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Cycle is basically over.

Lower T14 w/ LR, to HYS. 30 screeners, 19 callbacks, went on 10 and got 9 offers (Have yet to hear from last one). Extremely happy with the move. I know a lot of people wonder about the merits of transferring from a T14 especially with LR and doubt it helps job prospects but I'm positive it was the right move.
Vault range of the 9 offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Cycle is basically over.

Lower T14 w/ LR, to HYS. 30 screeners, 19 callbacks, went on 10 and got 9 offers (Have yet to hear from last one). Extremely happy with the move. I know a lot of people wonder about the merits of transferring from a T14 especially with LR and doubt it helps job prospects but I'm positive it was the right move.
Vault range of the 9 offers?
2 V5, 2 V10, 3 V15, 1 V 20, 1 V50.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:52 am

T50 to CCN

15 callbacks, I ended up doing 12, got 3 offers, still waiting to hear back from 2 more but am fairly certain I am going with a V25.

Very happy that I transferred.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:47 am

this would probably be better off eventually moving over to the transfer forum (and getting a sticky).

the information here is enough to out me, but honestly i don't care.

big ten t35 5% to HYS

39 OCI screeners
10 mass mails (2 phone screeners to ???)
7 CBs
1 V10 1 V15 3 V50 1 V100 1 NLJ250 secondary market firm
many many rejections
still waiting on 3-4 firms (places where i haven't heard of anyone here hearing anything - i'll treat everything else as a soft reject).

it seems like everyone here is swimming in callbacks while i certainly am not. i think there are a few potential explanations:

1. while i think i'm a decent interviewer i must telegraph that big law isn't the career i envision. i transferred for academia opportunities first, and though obviously i don't tell firms that, the weakness of my answer to the "why transfer?" question hurt me.
2. i am VERY borderline to have gotten in here. in fact, everyone here who went to a peer school was number 1 in their class. that puts me in an odd position relative to other transfers, as well as in relation to the rest of the class. i am the kind of student who objectively shouldn't have a shot at most firms at my OCI, and i think that hurt me a bit.
2a. i have reason to believe this led me to be a part of the "secondary" choices kind of list many firms had. despite hearing of callbacks at some of these firms, i would seem to get callbacks a few days later. that leads me to believe they had candidates turn them down, and then brought me in.
3. regionally i cast an extremely wide net. i interviewed with every large (relatively) unselective new york city firm, and got 1 NYC callback (strangely at a firm that is arguably more selective than others at which i didn't get callbacks). i think this made me subtly tip that i wasn't really strongly committed to one city. i had great results in chicago and midwest (where i am from) and pretty dismal results outside. this seems to be a recurring theme, don't underestimate the role ties play even if you've transferred out of that market.

my advice to transfers is definitely not to buy in to the idea (held by many students here) that you have made it merely by getting in. i put a ton of hustle into this process and you should too. that said i am still very happy i transferred. in all likelihood my offers will be much much better than what i would have gotten by staying.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:27 pm

Cycle is officially over:

School Ranges: T30-35 > MVPD
Markets: NYC, DC
Approx Class Rank: Top 10%
Law review: Secondary at new school.
Work experience: 2 years. Some office, some not.
Self Assessed Interview Ability: 8? I reached out to attorneys with firms of interest over the summer, so I knew what to expect and what was expected.
Screening Interviews: 26
Mass mail: 0
Callbacks received: 13
Callbacks accepted: 9
Offers within vault ranges: V5, V15, 2 V20, V50, V100.

To follow up on some notes from the above poster:

1. You will be asked "Why did you transfer" in every interview. Opportunities.

2. I agree that you want to have a good balance of firms, but don't short yourself. I was going to apply only to V50 and above, but a number of former transfers said use eight bids on reach firms. I did, and it paid off. Top firms seem to like transfers, perhaps because, imo, (1) transferring serves as a proxy for good grades, hard work, and ambition, and (2) because they know you aren't on scholarship and won't likely jump after a year.

3. If you cast your net broadly, make sure you have a legitimate reason to be in that region: (1) w/e there (2) SO there (3) family there and/or (4) love the city.

4. Be yourself, grateful, prepared, and enthusiastic.

transferquest

New

2011 Transfer OCI Results

Post by transferquest » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:48 pm

1L School: T2 high 60s
2L School: T10
1L Rank: 1/225
Former Journal: Law Review
New Journal: Undetermined at OCI due to write on
Screening Interviews: 24 OCI, 4 Phone (22 preselect, 2 lottery)
Write In Applications: 154 (East Coast only)
Callbacks: 18
Callbacks Accepted: 15
Offers: 3
Accepted V50 offer in NYC. Couldnt be happier.

blackandyellow

New

Post by blackandyellow » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:T50 to USC/UCLA. Top 10% + LR.

26 screeners
0 callbacks
0 offers

I know people in a similar position at my old school who did fine. Am I regretting the transfer? Yes.

At least from where I am right now, it's looking bad. Maybe things end up fine or there's some opportunity down the road that is opened up. Or maybe not.
hey at least it s warm!
maybe it s your interviewing too? T10% at a t50 is no where near guaranteed biglaw/midlaw....

acore8604

New

Post by acore8604 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:02 pm

T20 Top 2% L/R. Several other distinctions

Transferred to MVP

24 screeners
5 Call backs
1 Offer (v50, NYC)

Honestly I don't know if I should have transferred or, more narrowly, if I chose the right school to transfer to. I have an offer at an amazing NYC vault firm so I'm happy with my results but I know people at my old school who got similar positions without transferring. NYC was not my primary market but I'll certainly take it. Note: I was suffering a serious cold during a majority of my screenings and call-backs and my writing sample had errors. Thus, for the latter I am to blame for possibly not getting more call backs or offers.

My advice to people who are thinking of transferring.

1. Talk to someone who transferred to the school the year before you. This will give you the best litmus test for the job prospects.

2. If you at a top school as I was and have a scholarship seriously consider staying put.

3. Also, be sure to consider the size of the transfer class at the school your transferring too. Job prospects aside your going to be there for two years so consider how easy it will be to fit in.

Best of Luck

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”