60K more in debt and go to a T2 or stay at T4? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
missmae3

New

60K more in debt and go to a T2 or stay at T4?

Post by missmae3 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:54 pm

I have been accepted to a T2 with no scholarship and the chance to write on to Law Review. However, my current school, a T4, gave me a very good scholarship plus Law Review. I also have a lot of good relationships at my current school. Is the ranking and reputation of a T2 school in the city you'd like to practice in worth taking on 60K more in debt? The T4 is in a city very near by the city I'd like to work in once I graduate. It is hard to give up 60K and Law Review. What should I do?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: 60K more in debt and go to a T2 or stay at T4?

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:01 pm

Without knowing the law schools under consideration, my best guess is that you should transfer.

P.S. Why are you afraid or unwilling to name the law schools ?

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:03 pm

Drop out. Not trolling.

missmae3

New

Post by missmae3 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:04 pm

I currently go to Thomas Jefferson in San Deigo and I am considering transferring to Loyola in Los Angeles.

missmae3

New

Post by missmae3 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:06 pm

Cavalier wrote:Drop out. Not trolling.
This makes no sense. Did you post this by mistake? Why would I drop out of school?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:12 pm

Loyola Marymount is worth the extra investment. Congratulations !

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:14 pm

missmae3 wrote:I currently go to Thomas Jefferson in San Deigo and I am considering transferring to Loyola in Los Angeles.
Best response: Drop out.

Second best response: Transfer.

crazyblink653

Bronze

Post by crazyblink653 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:16 pm

duckmoney wrote:
missmae3 wrote:I currently go to Thomas Jefferson in San Deigo and I am considering transferring to Loyola in Los Angeles.
Best response: Drop out.

If you're at Thomas Jefferson you should already be packing your bags. Have fun in LA.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:00 pm

No, the best response would be to invent a time machine, go back to last August, and don't go to law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

missmae3

New

Post by missmae3 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:26 pm

I am glad I am attending Law School and do not wish to drop out, nor do I wish I never had attended. Thank you for the response, but I am looking for an actual answer of whether to transfer or stay. Going to the moon is also not an option. Thanks.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:33 pm

You know that your current school is being sued by former students for basically lying about employment statistics? Transferring probably won't help you get a job, but it's probably better than keeping TJ on your resume for too long.

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:13 pm

You will probably be able to get a job as a T2 transfer. Not an OCI-type job, but it's reasonable to think you'll find something if you do well and have other pluses, like good interview skills, relevant work experience, etc. The problem is that, according to Loyola's own calculations, it costs $69,000 per year to go there. How you will be able to pay off $140,000 + whatever 1L at TJ cost you is the confounding issue. That said, as others have pointed out, honors grads at TJ are suing the school because they can't find work you need a law degree for. This is why people are saying to drop out - not just to antagonize you. I know that's not an option for you, but have you given serious thought to how you will attack the debt after you graduate from Loyola?

berkeleykel06

Bronze

Post by berkeleykel06 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:30 pm

missmae3 wrote:I am glad I am attending Law School and do not wish to drop out, nor do I wish I never had attended. Thank you for the response, but I am looking for an actual answer of whether to transfer or stay. Going to the moon is also not an option. Thanks.
Am I the only one driven insane by people who capitalize Law School as if it is too prestigious to be an ordinary noun? A chimp could get into law school. Its not the freaking Holy Grail.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:32 pm

berkeleykel06 wrote:
missmae3 wrote:I am glad I am attending Law School and do not wish to drop out, nor do I wish I never had attended. Thank you for the response, but I am looking for an actual answer of whether to transfer or stay. Going to the moon is also not an option. Thanks.
Am I the only one driven insane by people who capitalize Law School as if it is too prestigious to be an ordinary noun? A chimp could get into law school. Its not the freaking Holy Grail.
Haha, +1. A random sample of chimps would probably have a higher median LSAT than TJ.

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:29 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
berkeleykel06 wrote:
Haha, +1. A random sample of chimps would probably have a higher median LSAT than TJ.

And some TLSers know how to be "really" nice.

Op, dropping out of law school is a viable choice. Some people here might sound mean but they are giving you solid advice. Only students at the top of their class (top 5% or maybe 10%) have decent prospects. Transfer students to Loyola are not much better off. If you were in the top 5% you probably could have transferred to a better school. Seeing that you are asking us about Loyola v. Thomas Jefferson, we automatically assume you are outside of the top 5%. Unfortunately, the job prospects are bleak for students from schools in the T1 let alone T4 (or transfers at T2s). With that said, as long as you know the risks, a choice to continue with a legal education is not a wrong one.

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:16 pm

The TJ bashing is so unreal on this board. It's not like ND grads are killin' it either bra. OP, I knew a person from my class at TJ who transferred to Loyola, PM me for more details.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:32 pm

berkeleykel06 wrote:
Yea. Tell me about it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

total_loss

New

Post by total_loss » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:35 pm

duckmoney wrote:Best response: Drop out.

/thread.

fanmingrui

Bronze

Post by fanmingrui » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:40 pm

Lawl Shcool wrote:The TJ bashing is so unreal on this board. It's not like ND grads are killin' it either bra. OP, I knew a person from my class at TJ who transferred to Loyola, PM me for more details.
Pretty sure there is a large discrepancy between the employment prospects at ND and TJ bra.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:46 pm

Sorry, but if someone comes here and posts "I'd like to commit suicide, would you recommend jumping off a bridge or hanging myself from a ceiling fan?" I and most other posters would respond "don't kill yourself, get help right away." Here too we are justified in not giving you the answer you demand.

Birdman

Bronze

Post by Birdman » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:46 pm

Last edited by Birdman on Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

taxguy

Bronze

Post by taxguy » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:57 pm

I may be way off,but if you did well enough to tranfer from a T4 to a T2, you must have done well in law school. Have you applied to scome T1 schools?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:06 am

Lawl Shcool wrote:The TJ bashing is so unreal on this board. It's not like ND grads are killin' it either bra. OP, I knew a person from my class at TJ who transferred to Loyola, PM me for more details.
LOL.

missmae3

New

Post by missmae3 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:24 am

I landed in the top 10% of my TJ class. I'm very sad to see the TJ bashing going on and the general rudeness going on. I think the prospects of getting a job are not as bleak as using the comparison of suicide. I get it is a bad job market but people are getting jobs who graduated from TJ. I know TJ has a bad rep, but that is no reason to bash the students. I DO appreciated the solid and well reasoned advise and responses. I am not interested in dropping out, rather, I am trying to choose between these two schools. Thank you everyone for your input. :)

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:18 am

ndirish2010 wrote:
LOL.
Look man, I would bet good money you don't know anyone who goes or went to TJ and have never been to the school. I bet it feels great to go to a quasi-good school and bash people at lower ranked schools anonymously on the internet. It makes you feel special right?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”