NYU Transfer c/o 2013 Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ms2010

Bronze

Re: NYU Transfer c/o 2013

Post by ms2010 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:16 am

kaiser wrote:
ms2010 wrote:Anyone get access to Symplicity yet? I want to take a look at this EIW bidding fun.
I believe they said they would be sending us Symplicity credentials by the end of the week. If I don't get them by mid-afternoon, I will give them a call just to make sure. Not messing around with anything regarding EIW
Yeah - I don't even know where to start. At my old school I had about 12 firms to consider...

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:22 am

ms2010 wrote:
kaiser wrote:
ms2010 wrote:Anyone get access to Symplicity yet? I want to take a look at this EIW bidding fun.
I believe they said they would be sending us Symplicity credentials by the end of the week. If I don't get them by mid-afternoon, I will give them a call just to make sure. Not messing around with anything regarding EIW
Yeah - I don't even know where to start. At my old school I had about 12 firms to consider...
Wow. That must have made the decision to transfer pretty easy. I can't say my old school had it too bad. About 50 firms came to OCI, with 30 NY firms at an off-campus fair. But given that I want NYC, I think its better to have the full slate of NY firms for the choosing.

ms2010

Bronze

Post by ms2010 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:25 am

kaiser wrote:
ms2010 wrote:
kaiser wrote:
Wow. That must have made the decision to transfer pretty easy. I can't say my old school had it too bad. About 50 firms came to OCI, with 30 NY firms at an off-campus fair. But given that I want NYC, I think its better to have the full slate of NY firms for the choosing.
There 5 NY firms... and they were resume collects.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:37 pm

Just got the CSM login credentials.

ms2010

Bronze

Post by ms2010 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:34 pm

kaiser wrote:Just got the CSM login credentials.
Same. And it looks amazing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Go_to_NYU

New

Post by Go_to_NYU » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:12 am

It's like Christmas.

Haha, but seriously, I'm so excited about this. Congrats to everyone!

Is it true that many of us still can't get into NYU Home? I can login it, but then it says my credentials are wrong. Apparently they're working on it.

odiero

New

Post by odiero » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:20 pm

Ditto on excitement.

I got my netid, etc. yesterday and have been able to get into NYU Home, Albert, the email, course evals, etc. Guess I'm lucky.

Also submitted housing app. Ha. Called them today, and they said any openings, at this point, come from cancellations. Assuming I don't get good news on that front, I'm thinking of heading up to NY next week -- maybe Tuesday -- to look for apartments. I've talked with a few of you about finding a place. Anybody want to join in the search next week?

ms2010

Bronze

Post by ms2010 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:55 pm

Still waiting for fin aid stuff on Albert, but everything else looks good.

Go_to_NYU

New

Post by Go_to_NYU » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:21 pm

Does everything have to be accessed through NYU Home? Can I get into Albert without NYU Home? Still waiting on the fix.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ms2010

Bronze

Post by ms2010 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:59 am

Anyone know how to find out how many interview spots a firm has?

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:03 am

Go_to_NYU wrote:Does everything have to be accessed through NYU Home? Can I get into Albert without NYU Home? Still waiting on the fix.
It's independent. https://admin.portal.nyu.edu/psp/paprod ... MPL/h/?tab

empire84

New

Post by empire84 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:10 am

does anybody know when the journal competition is and/or how long it lasts?

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:43 pm

So whats the strategy for bidding? I'm thinking that popular firms should go up top, with reaches in the 10-20 range since less people will be bidding on them. Am I totally off base? How are you guys setting this up?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ms2010

Bronze

Post by ms2010 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:17 pm

kaiser wrote:So whats the strategy for bidding? I'm thinking that popular firms should go up top, with reaches in the 10-20 range since less people will be bidding on them. Am I totally off base? How are you guys setting this up?
I actually have no idea what the strategy should be...

Go_to_NYU

New

Post by Go_to_NYU » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:35 pm

How do we see how many interview slots there are per employer/office?

I suspect we can't see exactly how many are saved for transfers, but I'm curious if there's a way to see how many interview slots there were for the non-transfer bidding? (hopefully representative of how many were saved for transfers)

---
thecilent wrote:
Go_to_NYU wrote:Does everything have to be accessed through NYU Home? Can I get into Albert without NYU Home? Still waiting on the fix.
It's independent. https://admin.portal.nyu.edu/psp/paprod ... MPL/h/?tab
By the way, thanks for the link!

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:40 pm

Go_to_NYU wrote:How do we see how many interview slots there are per employer/office?

I suspect we can't see exactly how many are saved for transfers, but I'm curious if there's a way to see how many interview slots there were for the non-transfer bidding? (hopefully representative of how many were saved for transfers)
Called up career services and got some info. We can't see the total number of interview slots available. But you can sort of use the size of the summer program as a proxy. For example, Paul Weiss has a huge summer class, whereas some other firm might only take on 5 or 6 students. That should indicate to you which firm will have more overall interview slots.

They said they keep something like 10-15% of all interview slots for every employer open to transfers. So the strategy is a bit different than if you were bidding against the entire continuing class. If we were bidding against the class as a whole, I would put the very popular firms up top, with my reaches in the 10-15 range since reach firms like SullCrom or Cravath won't get as many bids since they are out of reach to a large portion of the class. But we are bidding only against transfer students, all of whom have great academic records. So it would seem that the best approach is not to game it or strategize too much. Just bid based on preference, knowing that you will likely get many of your top 10-15 picks (so don't bid too aggressively or else you will have a hard time turning the screeners into eventual offers). I am thinking that, of my top 15, I will do 10 matches, with 5 reaches mixed in, as to increase my chances of at least getting an offer from someone.

odiero

New

Post by odiero » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:02 pm

kaiser wrote:
Go_to_NYU wrote:How do we see how many interview slots there are per employer/office?

Called up career services and got some info. We can't see the total number of interview slots available. But you can sort of use the size of the summer program as a proxy. For example, Paul Weiss has a huge summer class, whereas some other firm might only take on 5 or 6 students. That should indicate to you which firm will have more overall interview slots.

They said they keep something like 10-15% of all interview slots for every employer open to transfers. So the strategy is a bit different than if you were bidding against the entire continuing class. If we were bidding against the class as a whole, I would put the very popular firms up top, with my reaches in the 10-15 range since reach firms like SullCrom or Cravath won't get as many bids since they are out of reach to a large portion of the class. But we are bidding only against transfer students, all of whom have great academic records. So it would seem that the best approach is not to game it or strategize too much. Just bid based on preference, knowing that you will likely get many of your top 10-15 picks (so don't bid too aggressively or else you will have a hard time turning the screeners into eventual offers). I am thinking that, of my top 15, I will do 10 matches, with 5 reaches mixed in, as to increase my chances of at least getting an offer from someone.
This is helpful.

I've been wondering whether it's worth bidding on interviews with firms that have (major) offices but no EIW summer associate positions in the cities where I want to practice. Is it possible to convert a summer associate position with Firm in City X to a first-year associate position with Firm in City Y?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:30 pm

odiero wrote:
kaiser wrote:

This is helpful.

I've been wondering whether it's worth bidding on interviews with firms that have (major) offices but no EIW summer associate positions in the cities where I want to practice. Is it possible to convert a summer associate position with Firm in City X to a first-year associate position with Firm in City Y?
I really wouldn't count on that. Many of the big firms have a highly structured summer program that is only meant to run in certain offices. You can always inquire about it, and perhaps get in touch with the recruiting contact in that particular office, but don't count on them just putting you in an office that isn't represented at EIW or that doesn't typically participate in the summer program.

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:15 am

I initially started bidding in order of my desire to actually work at the available firms. Then I realized that I basically don't have a shot at anything above #20 on my list. Uh oh. New strategy time!

empire84

New

Post by empire84 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:37 am

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:52 am

mrloblaw wrote:I initially started bidding in order of my desire to actually work at the available firms. Then I realized that I basically don't have a shot at anything above #20 on my list. Uh oh. New strategy time!
Yeah I think its important for us to include a good number of matches and safeties. And I talked to a transfer from last year who made it clear that it is a bad idea to bid the most selective firms up top. He said that they tend to have huge classes, plus not all transfers will be in a position to bid on them comfortably. He said it is much smarter to bid your matches up top to ensure that you get them, and then your reaches below, perhaps in the 15-25 range. That way, you will get a majority of your matches, and will still likely get a good number of reaches, as opposed to being left only with reach firms (meaning there is a serious chance of striking out)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ms2010

Bronze

Post by ms2010 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:20 am

Soo... how'd everyone do?

bay_to_nyc

New

Post by bay_to_nyc » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:25 am

Anyone looking to go in on a 2br or 3br in Greenwich Village, walking distance to the law school?

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:28 am

ms2010 wrote:Soo... how'd everyone do?
25. Guess Paul Hastings must have been an insanely popular pick. I had it at 3 and didn't get it, yet I got the firm I ranked 50. But they weren't kidding when they said that transfers have as good a schedule if not better than continuing students, so I'm happy to have like 16 of my top 20.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:46 am

ms2010 wrote:Soo... how'd everyone do?
And how about you?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”