A "How Did Your Grades Change Post-Transfer" Thread

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Mce252

Re: A "How Did Your Grades Change Post-Transfer" Thread

Postby Mce252 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:54 pm

How many of you were able to transfer and get law review or a decent journal? Success at OCI?

farmernate

Postby farmernate » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:30 pm

Mce252 wrote:How many of you were able to transfer and get law review or a decent journal? Success at OCI?

Staff Editor on a secondary journal, V20 SA from OCI

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:37 pm

Mce252 wrote:How many of you were able to transfer and get law review or a decent journal? Success at OCI?

Quite a bit of success for transfers on journals here. Everyone who wanted biglaw got it. (40% of the transfer class received at least one V5 offer, to boot.)

tww909

Postby tww909 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:12 pm

Last edited by tww909 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

canesfan1986

Postby canesfan1986 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:05 pm

Just curious tww909, how many transfers did you have at HYS and were they all from T1?

BTW: Excellent album on your avatar. I was thiiiiiis close to being a jazz musician. Love that stuff.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:26 pm

isn't HYS three schools?

tww909

Postby tww909 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:40 pm

Last edited by tww909 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tww909

Postby tww909 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:41 pm

Last edited by tww909 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plebeculae

Postby plebeculae » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:02 pm

tww909 wrote:i was also close to being a jazz musician. in some ways i wish i was...

no you don't!

...right?

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:30 pm

I am Articles Editor on the flagship Law Review. No OCI. As a general rule, OCI is not available to transfers at most schools (though there are some notable exceptions). But even if OCI is available, it occurs to soon for transfers to benefit in any meaningful way. If you transfer and make a journal, try to publish your written work (Note and any seminar papers etc)

Incidentally, my grades slipped 2L and then rebounded in a big way 3L (my 2L GPA was 3.33 and my 3L GPA is 4.14 thus far)

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:36 pm

Danteshek wrote:

I am Articles Editor on the flagship Law Review. No OCI. As a general rule, OCI is not available to transfers at most schools (though there are some notable exceptions). But even if OCI is available, it occurs to soon for transfers to benefit in any meaningful way. If you transfer and make a journal, try to publish your written work (Note and any seminar papers etc)

Incidentally, my grades slipped 2L and then rebounded in a big way 3L (my 2L GPA was 3.33 and my 3L GPA is 4.14 thus far)

This poast is full of misinformation re transfer OCI. Transfer OCI at higher-ranked schools can be quite lucrative, and amongst the top schools, transfers do extremely well.

Edit: I'm not aware of any school (read: one worth going to if you're going to rely on OCI for a jerb) that does not allow transfers to participate at OCI.
Last edited by Big Shrimpin on Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:37 pm

Danteshek wrote:

What is this misinformation regarding transfer OCI?

1) OCI not being available to transfers is the exception, not the general rule. I believe Cornell and Fordham are the only schools in the T50 that don't allow transfers to do OCI.
2) There is plenty of evidence that there is a bump just from transferring to chances at OCI.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:40 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:
Danteshek wrote:

What is this misinformation regarding transfer OCI?

1) OCI not being available to transfers is the exception, not the general rule. I believe Cornell and Fordham are the only schools in the T50 that don't allow transfers to do OCI.
2) There is plenty of evidence that there is a bump just from transferring to chances at OCI.

+1. I know many in my transfer class that had more than a few offers at a T20 OCI.

Zazelmaf

Postby Zazelmaf » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:41 pm

Before I transferred, I was in the top 18% of my class. Now, I am sitting at 98%. No joke.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:14 pm

Plenty of schools say they allow transfers to do "OCI". The problem arises when Phase I of OCI (the only phase that matters) is not available to transfers.

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:19 pm

Danteshek wrote:Plenty of schools say they allow transfers to do "OCI". The problem arises when Phase I of OCI (the only phase that matters) is not available to transfers.

"Phase I" being bidding? I think you need to recheck your facts, man. Allowing transfers to put in bid lists is definitely the norm.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:37 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Plenty of schools say they allow transfers to do "OCI". The problem arises when Phase I of OCI (the only phase that matters) is not available to transfers.

"Phase I" being bidding? I think you need to recheck your facts, man. Allowing transfers to put in bid lists is definitely the norm.

First round of interviews, which generally takes place in August before classes start, and often before transfers know they are attending that particular school.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:02 pm

Danteshek wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:

First round of interviews, which generally takes place in August before classes start, and often before transfers know they are attending that particular school.

First rounds are usually like mid-late August for many schools, IIRC. Transfers should be prepared for OCI before getting admitted, however, especially if decisions don't come out until near the deadline for bidding. Moreover, since most schools do rolling admissions, it's really on the applicant to get applications done early/ready to go when grades come out (again, the exception being schools that don't release grades until really late, etc.) and thereby maximize the possibility of hearing back sooner. Thus, the transfer applicant should be doing preemptive work both before applying and being admitted.

To be sure, some schools continue to admit students after their bidding deadlines. Some schools, however, give transfers a "special" extended bidding deadline. For schools that do not, students should take that into consideration before transferring. It's on the applicant to weigh the pros and cons of such a situation (IMO, probably not worth it).

Re transfer OCI and timing: if you're transferring to take advantage of OCI, you should already have all your shit ready to roll before transferring (e.g. cover letter templates, resume, references, etc.). Moreover, transfers should be prepared to put in LOTS of work in firm research, writing targeted cover letters, etc., in getting ready for OCI...even if that means spending days/nights in front of the computer.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:34 pm

The deadlines, for many schools including mine, have been trending toward the beginning of August. It's kind of like the presidential primaries. Everyone wants first dibs.

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:37 pm

Danteshek wrote:The deadlines, for many schools including mine, have been trending toward the beginning of August. It's kind of like the presidential primaries. Everyone wants first dibs.

What school range did you transfer to?

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:31 pm

This is definitely not accurate. Out of the top 20 schools, I think Cornell is the only one where transfers can't participate in the main part of OCI. Most schools in this range admit their transfer classes in early to mid July. See the 2010 transfer OCI thread which is stickied, as well as this thread for 2011:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=163499

tww909

Postby tww909 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:17 pm

Last edited by tww909 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:00 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Danteshek transferred into Loyola-LA after being top 20 percent at Southwestern, no? Not like it matters whether they technically allow transfers to do OCI or not, I guess.

It doesn't really matter what school I attend. The reality is that firms are demanding to see students sooner and sooner in the process, to the detriment of transfers. If it hasn't happened yet at the top schools, it will.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:06 pm

Danteshek wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Danteshek transferred into Loyola-LA after being top 20 percent at Southwestern, no? Not like it matters whether they technically allow transfers to do OCI or not, I guess.

I'm glad I'm such a known quantity on these forums. Feel free to discount everything I say based on the school I attend.

Other poasters ITT corrected the misinformation without insult. Kind of a weak jab there, Helm.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:19 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
Danteshek wrote:

I'm glad I'm such a known quantity on these forums. Feel free to discount everything I say based on the school I attend.

Other poasters ITT corrected the misinformation without insult. Kind of a weak jab there, Helm.

Okay, so 19 of the top 20 schools technically allow their transfers to participate in the main part of OCI. That says nothing about whether they actually get jobs. I hear that at Georgetown, for example, the OCI outcomes for transfers are especially poor.

Return to “Transfers”