A "How Did Your Grades Change Post-Transfer" Thread Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lawl Shcool

Silver

Re: A "How Did Your Grades Change Post-Transfer" Thread

Post by Lawl Shcool » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:24 pm

Danteshek wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Danteshek transferred into Loyola-LA after being top 20 percent at Southwestern, no? Not like it matters whether they technically allow transfers to do OCI or not, I guess.
I'm glad I'm such a known quantity on these forums. Feel free to discount everything I say based on the school I attend.
Other poasters ITT corrected the misinformation without insult. Kind of a weak jab there, Helm.
Okay, so 19 of the top 20 schools technically allow their transfers to participate in the main part of OCI. That says nothing about whether they actually get jobs. I hear that at Georgetown, for example, the OCI outcomes for transfers are especially poor.
The thread on transfer OCIs in 2010, which can be found here: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 7&t=132670, shows that for the most part, transfers kill it at OCI.

The purpose of this thread was to assess the way grades changed after transferring, not job prospects. Although again, it appears that transfers kill it grade-wise as well.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:34 pm

"transfers kill it at OCI"

You can probably count on one hand the schools where this is the norm.

lawschoolgrapedme

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgrapedme » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:36 pm

ccn xfer from T25. V5.

edit: in terms of xfers not being able to bid for OCI...the way it works is schools do not run the lottery until about 2 weeks before OCI. 99% of xfers have been admitted at that time, and they are put into the process on equal footing with the natives. Or at least that is how it is at my ccn, and I'd assume it is like that most places as well.

Birdman

Bronze

Post by Birdman » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:42 pm

Last edited by Birdman on Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:55 pm

Danteshek wrote:"transfers kill it at OCI"

You can probably count on one hand the schools where this is the norm.
maybe 2 hands, since there's 10 schools in the t10?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:11 pm

When people say "transfers kill it at OCI" it is almost always referring to students who transferred into the T14 (which make up most of the transfers who post here). That said, I do think the statement is a bit overused and transfers tend to do better at some schools in the T14 than students at others. GULC transfers don't do as well because there are so many students. NU transfers without WE don't do as well because literally everyone else at the school has WE. Cornell transfers don't do as well because as I understand they aren't able to do the main OCI. Michigan and T6 transfers seem to do very well but that may just be because T6 just admits more qualified transfers as far as grades/school go. Don't know much about Penn, Duke, UVA, and Berkeley.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if transfers to schools outside the T14 struggle, because the students that are at those schools to begin with are going to struggle.

acore8604

New

Post by acore8604 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:16 pm

Mce252 wrote:How many of you were able to transfer and get law review or a decent journal? Success at OCI?
Secondary Law review, accepted v50 SA position, although people at my old school got the same type offers

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”