Transferring from T14 to Wisconsin Law Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Regionality

Silver

Re: Transferring from T14 to Wisconsin Law

Post by Regionality » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:08 pm

bk187 wrote:
Regionality wrote:This has to be a flame. He missed the transfer app deadline and why would he discuss retaking the LSAT. He's talking about getting in to WI as if he's completely clueless...either he's gotten in, rejected or is on some sort of waitlist/defacto waitlist.
I kind of felt like that at first but I think OP is just clueless (based on other NYU people vouching for him/her). I mean if you don't pay a lot of attention to the admissions process and just take the LSAT and apply it seems pretty easy to just not know much about stuff.
Ok...well as someone transferring out of Wisconsin TO a T14 I can comment on what OCI is looking like at WI...and it's not good.

31 employers (and thats after a number of employers dropped out of OCI).

I have no idea how an employer would view below median from a T14 compared to the solid number of highly ranked Wisconsin students who are all brilliant (I have a number of friends who decided to stay at WI who are absolutely brilliant legal minds, on law review/moot court etc and who could have gotten in to T14's if they had wanted)

Huge gamble, huge risk and if you have anxiety problems then I think this decision would make them worse .

scrowell

Bronze

Post by scrowell » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:23 pm

I just have one question about the credibility of this thread. I don't question your decision to transfer-we all have different dreams and places we want to be, and the reality is, if you want to go to LS in Wisconsin, you only have so many choices, so I see your logic there. I have anxiety problems myself, I know that being in an uncomfortable setting can make doing school work difficult. I just want to know, and sorry if this comes off as mean or offensive, how you were a varsity athlete AND disabled to the extent that you use a service dog.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:27 pm

scrowell wrote:I just have one question about the credibility of this thread. I don't question your decision to transfer-we all have different dreams and places we want to be, and the reality is, if you want to go to LS in Wisconsin, you only have so many choices, so I see your logic there. I have anxiety problems myself, I know that being in an uncomfortable setting can make doing school work difficult. I just want to know, and sorry if this comes off as mean or offensive, how you were a varsity athlete AND disabled to the extent that you use a service dog.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:52 pm

WI firms are notoriously oriented towards hiring locals so if your goal is to work in WI, the transfer would certainly convince an MKE firm you're serious about living in the state. I have a good friend who got promptly dinged by Milwaukee firms for transferring from Madison to Uchi because they felt that he wouldn't have transferred, even to a superior school in a neighbouring state, had he been serious about wanting WI.

With that said, I can't possibly think of any other employment advantage you would gain by doing this so I suggest staying put and working this out to the best of your ability.

Rock-N-Roll

Bronze

Post by Rock-N-Roll » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:05 am

scrowell wrote: how you were a varsity athlete AND disabled to the extent that you use a service dog.
This was a good pick-up scro. I thought there were lot of other sort of odd little things about the original post.

Clinotonious is saying this is not a flame because if OP is a real person, he or she pretty much outed him or herself and I guess a person fitting this description does exist IRL. I would hate it though if someone flameing was pretending to be this person just to try and make some kind of joke.

Generally my issue is that I get that OP states that NYC (I'm assuming like everyone else that he or she is claiming to go to NYU) is a poor fit. But otherwise the reasoning behind a transfer to UW just seems off the wall to me.

But FWIW in case I'm wrong...OP if you are for real, and your performance in school is being affected by anxiety, then I agree with the locust that you should probably seek help and even look into taking a leave of absence before making a possibly rash decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:10 am

scrowell wrote: how you were a varsity athlete AND disabled to the extent that you use a service dog.
Good question... I thought of a couple answers, here is the best I could do:

OP was varsity track or cross country or swimming... something where you are only competing against yourself... and the disability is anxiety. In which case a medical leave of absence, time with the therapy dog and adjustment of anxiety meds at the same time seem totally TCR to me.

skyblue

New

Post by skyblue » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:23 am

Varsity swimmers do not just compete against themselves. They compete in dual meets against other schools, in conference championships and at NCAAs. Serious division I teams are highly competitive (think Olympic level, the folks who race Michael Phelps)...I would presume track & field is similar. These athletes train in the pool 20 hours a week in grueling practices and are doing weight training and dryland work as well. I doubt op was a swimmer unless the coach was just a nice guy, allowing a walk-on, non-scoring benchwarmer in order to be politically correct by allowing a disabled athlete onto the team.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:37 am

dresden doll wrote:WI firms are notoriously oriented towards hiring locals so if your goal is to work in WI, the transfer would certainly convince an MKE firm you're serious about living in the state. I have a good friend who got promptly dinged by Milwaukee firms for transferring from Madison to Uchi because they felt that he wouldn't have transferred, even to a superior school in a neighbouring state, had he been serious about wanting WI.

With that said, I can't possibly think of any other employment advantage you would gain by doing this so I suggest staying put and working this out to the best of your ability.
Credited. Good luck, OP.

scrowell

Bronze

Post by scrowell » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:26 am

Regionality wrote:
scrowell wrote:I just have one question about the credibility of this thread. I don't question your decision to transfer-we all have different dreams and places we want to be, and the reality is, if you want to go to LS in Wisconsin, you only have so many choices, so I see your logic there. I have anxiety problems myself, I know that being in an uncomfortable setting can make doing school work difficult. I just want to know, and sorry if this comes off as mean or offensive, how you were a varsity athlete AND disabled to the extent that you use a service dog.
Ok so I guess these dogs are for real, and they are legally considered service dogs for disabled people. I was picturing a blind person playing baseball or something, but I guess this makes anything possible.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:44 am

scrowell wrote:
Regionality wrote:
Ok so I guess these dogs are for real, and they are legally considered service dogs for disabled people. I was picturing a blind person playing baseball or something, but I guess this makes anything possible.
Yea I wasn't kidding, despite the adorably goofy looking face of this service dog in training...

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:51 am

skyblue wrote:Varsity swimmers do not just compete against themselves. They compete in dual meets against other schools, in conference championships and at NCAAs. Serious division I teams are highly competitive (think Olympic level, the folks who race Michael Phelps)...I would presume track & field is similar. These athletes train in the pool 20 hours a week in grueling practices and are doing weight training and dryland work as well. I doubt op was a swimmer unless the coach was just a nice guy, allowing a walk-on, non-scoring benchwarmer in order to be politically correct by allowing a disabled athlete onto the team.
Disabled ncaa swimmers are not all that rare, i'm not saying it's probable but it's possible.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:58 am

hipstermafia wrote:
skyblue wrote:Varsity swimmers do not just compete against themselves. They compete in dual meets against other schools, in conference championships and at NCAAs. Serious division I teams are highly competitive (think Olympic level, the folks who race Michael Phelps)...I would presume track & field is similar. These athletes train in the pool 20 hours a week in grueling practices and are doing weight training and dryland work as well. I doubt op was a swimmer unless the coach was just a nice guy, allowing a walk-on, non-scoring benchwarmer in order to be politically correct by allowing a disabled athlete onto the team.
Disabled ncaa swimmers are not all that rare, i'm not saying it's probable but it's possible.
This has become a derailed thread, to say the least

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:05 am

Regionality wrote:This has become a derailed thread, to say the least
not really, lots of flame calling in here and i wanted to put the possibility out there that OP needs some real advice. Of course, i don't have any real advice for him/her so that's as far as i got :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

scrowell

Bronze

Post by scrowell » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:29 pm

Regionality wrote:
scrowell wrote:
Regionality wrote:
Yea I wasn't kidding, despite the adorably goofy looking face of this service dog in training...
Wow, I totally thought you guys were messing around :/. I think that dog would make me happier too haha, so I guess this could def be legit.

I have some real advice for you OP. You gotta do what makes you happy. You only live once-just go to a place that makes you happy. It's not worth suffering for 2 more years just to have a better chance at a high paying job that will probably be in a place that also makes you miserable. Wisconsin is a great school too, you'll have plenty of opportunities to succeed with a degree from there. Maybe it's not as prestigious as NYU, but as long as you're happy, that's all that counts. Keep your head up and keep doing what makes YOU happy. Don't solicit advice from others. Only you know what's best for you. You'll be fine bro.

BoriquaEsquire

New

Post by BoriquaEsquire » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:37 pm

Thanks for replying everyone. :)

Ok, I'm not a flame.

I do have a therapist/counselor and the possibility of transfer only came up yesterday with him right before I posted this. I guess I should have done my research. Prior to my discussion with my doctor yesterday, I never really thought about transferring and I certainly had never looked up the transfer process.

I graduated from college in 2009 and became disabled in January 2010. I don't really want to say what my service dog is for, but I can tell you that I wasn't disabled while I was a varsity athlete. The sport was fencing...if anyone cares. Also, Rock-N-Roll was right, it would be pretty awful if I claimed to be disabled and an athlete to make you all laugh.

I should also put, for education's sake, that a service dog is very different from a therapy dog. I could write pages on it, but I doubt anyone cares.

I was actually pleasantly surprised to read the insane amount of nice posts on here. I was sure I was going to be completely burned, especially when I realized how ignorant I was about the transfer process.

All that aside, it's obviously too late to apply and it seems like you all think transferring would be the wrong decision anyway. I guess I'll stay put. I love my current school and the friends I have there, it's just also very stressful.

crazyblink653

Bronze

Post by crazyblink653 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:04 pm

BoriquaEsquire wrote:Thanks for replying everyone. :)

Ok, I'm not a flame.

I do have a therapist/counselor and the possibility of transfer only came up yesterday with him right before I posted this. I guess I should have done my research. Prior to my discussion with my doctor yesterday, I never really thought about transferring and I certainly had never looked up the transfer process.

I graduated from college in 2009 and became disabled in January 2010. I don't really want to say what my service dog is for, but I can tell you that I wasn't disabled while I was a varsity athlete. The sport was fencing...if anyone cares. Also, Rock-N-Roll was right, it would be pretty awful if I claimed to be disabled and an athlete to make you all laugh.

I should also put, for education's sake, that a service dog is very different from a therapy dog. I could write pages on it, but I doubt anyone cares.

I was actually pleasantly surprised to read the insane amount of nice posts on here. I was sure I was going to be completely burned, especially when I realized how ignorant I was about the transfer process.

All that aside, it's obviously too late to apply and it seems like you all think transferring would be the wrong decision anyway. I guess I'll stay put. I love my current school and the friends I have there, it's just also very stressful.
perhaps someone already suggested this, but maybe consider moving to an apartment in one of the NY/NJ suburbs, where the commute would be manageable but the environment a little less...stimulating? just a thought, and that might help alleviate some of your concerns about the stress of your environment.

rshervey

New

Post by rshervey » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:27 am

I bet if you contacted Wisconsin admissions with your credentials they would make an exception or at least consider you for a late transfer. I was just accepted as a transfer to WI a couple weeks ago and the acceptance email basically said they will assume you are not going to transfer here unless you tell us you are, and then you had a week to respond.

Madison is an awesome city. Small town, close-knit community feel with a big ten school square in the middle of it all. If you really do want to escape NYC I think you chose a great transfer option and shouldn't decide to stay without at least giving Wisconsin a call... what do you have to lose?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”