Transfer to NYU or stay at Rutgers?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Should I transfer to NYU or stay at Rutgers with partial scholly and in-state tuition?

NYU
40
87%
Rutgers
6
13%
 
Total votes: 46

nene
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:15 am

Transfer to NYU or stay at Rutgers?

Postby nene » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:04 pm

I'm a rising 2L at Rutgers. I get in-state tuition and have a 10k scholarship. I've got a 3.9 GPA, not sure where I'm ranked b/c Rutgers doesn't rank. My guess is in the top 10%. Next year I'll be on Moot Court and a TA. This summer I worked for a relatively prestigious firm, definately one of the better firms in NJ. I applied to transfer to NYU and should be hearing back any day now. My question is, should I go if I get admitted? Rutgers already told me they wouldn't give me more money, so that is out of the question.

On the one hand, Rutgers is super cheap, I'll graduate with only 60k of debt as opposed to 120k - 130k of debt I'd be looking at with NYU. I really like it at Rutgers and I'm one of the star students. I think I have pretty good prospects of getting a job at a good Jersey firm, and a slim chance of getting a job at a NY firm.

On the other hand, NYU is NYU. It's been my dream school since my sister graduated from there a decade ago. I think I'd have an easier time getting a law firm job in NY, which I prefer. I did not like working at an office park in the burbs in Jersey. My ultimate goal is probably not big law, but maybe academia (I know the chances are slim) or some sort of prestigious public interest, obviously NYU would be more helpful in achieving these endeavors. Also, I'd much rather be hanging out in the village than dodging bullets in Newark for the next two years. I'm also a prestige whore.

Thoughts?

User avatar
The Valkyrie
Posts: 215
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: Transfer to NYU or stay at Rutgers?

Postby The Valkyrie » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:12 pm

NYU.

lawfuture10
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:19 pm

Re: Transfer to NYU or stay at Rutgers?

Postby lawfuture10 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:21 pm

nene wrote:
On the one hand, Rutgers is super cheap, I'll graduate with only 60k of debt as opposed to 120k - 130k of debt I'd be looking at with NYU. I really like it at Rutgers and I'm one of the star students. I think I have pretty good prospects of getting a job at a good Jersey firm, and a slim chance of getting a job at a NY firm.

On the other hand, NYU is NYU. It's been my dream school since my sister graduated from there a decade ago. I think I'd have an easier time getting a law firm job in NY, which I prefer. I did not like working at an office park in the burbs in Jersey. My ultimate goal is probably not big law, but maybe academia (I know the chances are slim) or some sort of prestigious public interest, obviously NYU would be more helpful in achieving these endeavors. Also, I'd much rather be hanging out in the village than dodging bullets in Newark for the next two years. I'm also a prestige whore.

Thoughts?


You will regret not going to NYU if you choose to stay at Rutgers.

NYU. /

EDIT: IF you get in

User avatar
Wholigan
Posts: 763
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:51 pm

Re: Transfer to NYU or stay at Rutgers?

Postby Wholigan » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:30 pm

NYU if you get in. But you should have at least applied to Columbia if you are a prestige whore who wants NYC, academia or public interest. Getting admitted or not as a transfer can be very arbitrary.

Are you on law review?

User avatar
RMstratosphere
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:25 pm

Re: Transfer to NYU or stay at Rutgers?

Postby RMstratosphere » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:35 pm

Even if Rutgers were paying you, you should go to NYU.

nene
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:15 am

Re: Transfer to NYU or stay at Rutgers?

Postby nene » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:43 pm

Wholigan wrote:NYU if you get in. But you should have at least applied to Columbia if you are a prestige whore who wants NYC, academia or public interest. Getting admitted or not as a transfer can be very arbitrary.

Are you on law review?


No, I'm not on Law Review. I thought about applying to Columbia. However, I didn't apply for three reasons. 1. I'm trying to keep my debt as low as possible by living home. Commuting to Columbia would be possible, but it would be a huge pain in the ass. 2. Columbia is also more expensive than NYU, just by a few k but I'm trying to be as frugal as possible. 3. As you can see I really don't like debt and the idea of doubling my debt scares me. However, NYU was really my dream school given it's commitment to public interest, it's location, and the family tradition. It's really the only school I'd be willing to take on all this debt for.

BTW, I'm also URM, not sure how helpful that is for transfers, but fingers crossed.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Transfer to NYU or stay at Rutgers?

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:45 pm

$10k/yr is nothing compared to the debt you're facing either way. Don't let that persuade you to stay.

No LR? You should most definitely go.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Transfer to NYU or stay at Rutgers?

Postby keg411 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:48 pm

vanwinkle wrote:$10k/yr is nothing compared to the debt you're facing either way. Don't let that persuade you to stay.

No LR? You should most definitely go.


I get the sense OP is living at home. Therefore, debt from Rutgers would be about $15k/year (depending on if OP is taking out any COL $ at all). That's not bad debt at all. Also, OP hasn't even gotten into NYU yet. OP should worry about an NYU acceptance after accepted. There's no reason to play the "what if" game.

Still, with no LR, it's basically a "no brainer" to go to NYU if accepted.

luthersloan
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: Transfer to NYU or stay at Rutgers?

Postby luthersloan » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:01 pm

If you are interested in public interest you should certainly transfer, NYU's LRAP program would likely make you debt a non-issue.

nene
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:15 am

Re: Transfer to NYU or stay at Rutgers?

Postby nene » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:06 pm

keg411 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:$10k/yr is nothing compared to the debt you're facing either way. Don't let that persuade you to stay.

No LR? You should most definitely go.


I get the sense OP is living at home. Therefore, debt from Rutgers would be about $15k/year (depending on if OP is taking out any COL $ at all). That's not bad debt at all. Also, OP hasn't even gotten into NYU yet. OP should worry about an NYU acceptance after accepted. There's no reason to play the "what if" game.

Still, with no LR, it's basically a "no brainer" to go to NYU if accepted.


Exactly, I live home. Rutgers tuition is about 16k after my scholarship. However, I take an extra 2k per semester for books, food, miscellaneous expenses, car expenses, etc.

I realize I haven't gotten a decision yet and I don't mean to come off as so cocky that I know I will get in; my expectation is that I will be at Rutgers next year, given NYU's selectivity. However, I might not hear back from NYU until early August. If I do get admitted then, that leaves me with almost no time to make a decision. Thats why I'm trying to decide what to do now.

It's funny, almost everyone here says go to NYU if I get in. Everyone I've spoken to in person has really been on the fence and not given any decisive advice.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Transfer to NYU or stay at Rutgers?

Postby keg411 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:08 pm

FWIW, I went to the other Rutgers with a similar scholarship and am leaving for Michigan primarily because I didn't make LR. If you had LR, I would have told you to stay.

nene
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:15 am

Re: Transfer to NYU or stay at Rutgers?

Postby nene » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:13 pm

keg411 wrote:FWIW, I went to the other Rutgers with a similar scholarship and am leaving for Michigan primarily because I didn't make LR. If you had LR, I would have told you to stay.


Did you like Rutgers Camden? I worked with a rising 3L from Rutgers Camden this summer. Congrats on Michigan. You're also waiting to hear from NYU right? I've gathered this from the applicant status thread. Good luck on that. Wow, you really think law review holds that much weight? Would anyone else change their opinion if I was on LR?

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Transfer to NYU or stay at Rutgers?

Postby keg411 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:24 pm

nene wrote:
keg411 wrote:FWIW, I went to the other Rutgers with a similar scholarship and am leaving for Michigan primarily because I didn't make LR. If you had LR, I would have told you to stay.


Did you like Rutgers Camden? I worked with a rising 3L from Rutgers Camden this summer. Congrats on Michigan. You're also waiting to hear from NYU right? I've gathered this from the applicant status thread. Good luck on that. Wow, you really think law review holds that much weight? Would anyone else change their opinion if I was on LR?


I'm actually really glad I did my 1L there. They structure the curriculum in a way that is really conducive to success and isn't super overbearing -- it's like they know law school is stressful enough and don't try to kill you with the course load. The curve is also pretty relaxed and a bit higher than most lower T1's/TT's/etc. (Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more on this; I'm actually working with a RU-N rising 2L who is probably transferring to Penn; and he actually made LR).

I'm still waiting on CLS/NYU, but I don't think I'll get in at this point (especially since I got rejected from Penn). But I'm very happy with Michigan.

habeas__corpus
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:19 pm

Re: Transfer to NYU or stay at Rutgers?

Postby habeas__corpus » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:44 pm

I voted for NYU.
Your chances at academia coming out of Rutgers are almost nil. You will have a far greater chance coming from NYU.
NYU will give you access to NY as well as NJ firms. The name itself will go a long way later on in your career. You've done very well at Rutgers so far and it shows in your 1L grades, which employers will still see. Your opportunities are far greater at NYU and you say it is your dream school. The money you can pay off after a few years of working. Go for NYU man.

nene
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:15 am

Re: Transfer to NYU or stay at Rutgers?

Postby nene » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:42 pm

Everyone, thank you for the feedback, it is appreciated. I'm scared shitless of the debt, but after talking with many people and the overwhelming feedback on this thread, I've decided that if I am admitted, I will follow my dream and attend. I don't think I could in good conscience turn down the opportunity to attend such a great school. Plus, even though 130 to 140k is a lot of money, it's less debt than most kids going to top schools will have. Now I just gotta wait and see what happens. Fingers crossed.

crazyblink653
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:13 pm

Re: Transfer to NYU or stay at Rutgers?

Postby crazyblink653 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:58 pm

nene wrote:
keg411 wrote:FWIW, I went to the other Rutgers with a similar scholarship and am leaving for Michigan primarily because I didn't make LR. If you had LR, I would have told you to stay.


Did you like Rutgers Camden? I worked with a rising 3L from Rutgers Camden this summer. Congrats on Michigan. You're also waiting to hear from NYU right? I've gathered this from the applicant status thread. Good luck on that. Wow, you really think law review holds that much weight? Would anyone else change their opinion if I was on LR?


I transferred from a T25 w/LR to Michigan, so I obviously don't much weight on you staying even if you did get LR. It only really makes a difference if you want a CoA clerkship or academia. You said you may want academia but, since you didn't get LR at Rutgers, hands down transfer to NYU if you get in.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.