Penn or NYU?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
celtics1985
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:55 pm

Penn or NYU?

Postby celtics1985 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:53 pm

I was recently accepted for transfer to Penn and NYU Law. I need to make a decision within the next few hours. Advice??

a5L
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:42 pm

Re: Penn or NYU?

Postby a5L » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:57 pm

Penn

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: Penn or NYU?

Postby kaiser » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:02 pm

celtics1985 wrote:I was recently accepted for transfer to Penn and NYU Law. I need to make a decision within the next few hours. Advice??


Where do you want to practice? What do you want to do upon graduation? Or are you just asking which school is objectively better, because that is a tough question to answer without any info on you or your goals.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Penn or NYU?

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:10 pm

kaiser wrote:
celtics1985 wrote:I was recently accepted for transfer to Penn and NYU Law. I need to make a decision within the next few hours. Advice??

Where do you want to practice? What do you want to do upon graduation? Or are you just asking which school is objectively better, because that is a tough question to answer without any info on you or your goals.

TITCR.

celtics1985
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:55 pm

Re: Penn or NYU?

Postby celtics1985 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:33 pm

Sorry, I probably should have expounded... I'm a little flustered and didn't think anybody would respond in time.

My interests lie in international law, I wouldn't mind practicing in NYC or Philly, however, because I would like to spend some time practicing abroad NYC might be better. On the other hand, Philly wouldn't be that big of an adjustment as I also did my undergrad at Penn, and I hear it's a friendlier environment for transfers.

And, I'm sorry, I don't know what "TITCR" means...

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: Penn or NYU?

Postby kaiser » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:38 pm

celtics1985 wrote:Sorry, I probably should have expounded... I'm a little flustered and didn't think anybody would respond in time.

My interests lie in international law, I wouldn't mind practicing in NYC or Philly, however, because I would like to spend some time practicing abroad NYC might be better. On the other hand, Philly wouldn't be that big of an adjustment as I also did my undergrad at Penn, and I hear it's a friendlier environment for transfers.

And, I'm sorry, I don't know what "TITCR" means...


Well, NYU has a particular specialty in international law, though I'm skeptical as to whether such a field actually exists (countless lawyers have told me that there is no such thing, and that its just a marketing buzzword used by schools to bring in students). If NYU's program in that area is so good, then it would certainly be worth considering, though the "comfort factor" you have in Philly might outweigh NYU's international law programs.

barry
Posts: 176
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:30 pm

Re: Penn or NYU?

Postby barry » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:43 pm

Edit: totally misunderstood the situation thought you were at Penn thinking about transferring to nyu
Last edited by barry on Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Penn or NYU?

Postby Veyron » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:44 pm

People hate to hear this but . . . generally it just isn't going to make a difference what school you go to. Its more about which school YOU think you could make the most of.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: Penn or NYU?

Postby kaiser » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:46 pm

barry wrote:If you are around top quarter (even top third) I would just stay put, I can't imagine that going to nyu would give u that much of an advantage and being a transfer could make oci more unpredictable.


I don't think this is true. There are a number of people at T20-30 schools who strike out around top 30% of the class. That figure by no means guarantees a thing, and many big firms won't even talk to people ranked below top 1/3. I'm not sure how top 30% got OP into Penn and NYU as a transfer, but I wouldn't turn it down, and would go to one or the other, rather than staying put. OP, what market are you coming from?

Rule11
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:25 pm

Re: Penn or NYU?

Postby Rule11 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:04 pm

NYU is better both in general and specifically with regards to public international law (though the latter distinction should carry little weight, as the difference is quite small). Unless you're really into Philadelphia or Penn in particular for some reason (sounds like you're not), you should go to NYU. Congratulations.

celtics1985
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:55 pm

Re: Penn or NYU?

Postby celtics1985 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:13 pm

I'm assuming OP is me. 1L at a law school ranked in lower 20s, law review, grades in top 20%.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Penn or NYU?

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:19 pm

If you were in the top 10% and receiving a decent scholarship, I would stay. The only redeeming factor in your situation to staying is that you are on law review. If you have a full ride or real close to it, stay. If not, NYU. I'm not quite sure why Penn is in the conversation when NYU is better at every metric and OP does not want to practice in Philly specifically.

whatdoyouthink
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:29 pm

Re: Penn or NYU?

Postby whatdoyouthink » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:07 pm

NYU

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Penn or NYU?

Postby Veyron » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:51 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:If you were in the top 10% and receiving a decent scholarship, I would stay. The only redeeming factor in your situation to staying is that you are on law review. If you have a full ride or real close to it, stay. If not, NYU. I'm not quite sure why Penn is in the conversation when NYU is better at every metric and OP does not want to practice in Philly specifically.


Link to NYU being better in any metric besides a 1 spot higher placement on USNWR?

I thought Penn was the better school myself when I had to choose. Then again, it probably comes down to the individual.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.