Top 3% at UGA to CCN? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Transferthrowaway

Silver

Re: Top 3% at UGA to CCN?

Post by Transferthrowaway » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:46 pm

mrloblaw wrote:I went to NYC to tour Columbia and NYU yesterday. I actually liked the feel of Morningside Heights a lot better than the Village, and Columbia has basically assumed 'dream school' status for me.

The problem is that I'm still waiting to hear from Columbia, and NYU has only given me until Aug. 1 to accept or decline their offer. If I don't receive a response from Columbia by Monday mail, how should I handle the situation?
Ask for a couple of day extension. If they won't give it to you and you'd go to NYU if you don't get into CLS, pay the deposit.

darklighter13

New

Post by darklighter13 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:48 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:Ask for a couple of day extension. If they won't give it to you and you'd go to NYU if you don't get into CLS, pay the deposit.
FWIW, I think that NYU's deposit form demands that you withdraw all other outstanding apps when you put it down, but I have no idea if it's standard for students to withdraw sometimes anyway.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:54 pm

Brian Leiter (a law professor at Chicago)'s take on a related question:

A law student writes:

I am currently a 1L at [a top ten law school by just about all measures], and I think that I'm interested in pursuing a career in teaching. The blogs I've read on seeking a job in academics suggest that it's preferable to go to a top 5 school. If I'm capable of performing well enough, do you think it would be a smart move to try and transfer to a higher ranked school like Harvard or Stanford?

Everything else being equal, of course, if you want to get into law teaching it is best to go to Yale, Harvard, Stanford, or Chicago in roughly that order (and not some mythical "top 5"). But everything else is rarely equal, and there are reasons to choose other schools with top faculties if their strengths better mirror a student's interests.

But the precise question here is different. What if you're already at one of the 15 or so schools that produce a decent number of law teachers? Is it worth it to transfer to one of the top four?

In general, it probably is not worth it to transfer, for the following simple reason: to get into law teaching, you have to have reputable faculty in your corner, which means you have to get to know them well enough during your time in law school that they can offer meaningful and enthusiastic support for your academic ambitions. As it is, law school is relatively short as far as this objective is concerned; if you transfer, you have even less time to make the relevant impressions and connections (only two years) and, moreoever, if you've transferred to a school that produces a lot of law teachers, you'll have lots of competition for the attention of the relevant faculty. So my general advice would be: stay where you are, and begin cultivating the professional and intellectual relationships that are so important for getting into law teaching.

That's my general advice, but there are exceptions. One possible exception pertains to Yale, which has such a disproportionate lock on the law teaching market, that it may be worth exploring the transfer option for Yale, notwithstanding all the preceding problems. Again, though, it will depend on factors like whether Yale will meet your particular intellectual and academic needs (in many areas, other top schools are as strong as or better than Yale), and also on what kinds of relationships you establish with faculty during your first year of law school. A student who is in a position to transfer to Yale from, say, Michigan or Texas or Penn has also likely made a powerful impression on his or her teachers, the kind of impression that may be more important in terms of academic opportunities down the line than the "Yale name."

Another exception would be relevant for students with very particular intellectual interests which their home school can't meet as well as one of the top four. A first-year student at Texas or Georgetown or Michigan with a strong interest in law and economics and academic ambitions probably should think about transferring to one of the top four, each of which are much stronger in that area. Conversely, a first-year law student mostly interested in law and philosophy would have no reason to transfer from Texas or Michigan, since in most respects these schools offer as much or more for philosophically-minded students than the top four. We could, of course, multiple examples of this kind.

I invite additional comments on this general question; non-anonymous postings will be very strongly preferred.

http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leit ... o_top.html

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:40 pm

Final update:

Decision is straight between NYU and UGA. I already have a dozen OCIs lined up, most of which with great firms. I'm still leaning NYU because of the absolutely incredible faculty, but does anyone have contrary final thoughts?

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:11 pm

I really think you should stay at UGA. i am not sure academia is going to happen, even if you got Columbia, so i think it is better to take the (probable) sure thing of big law from UGA, even if that means having to live in Atlanta or Charlotte.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rapstar

Bronze

Post by rapstar » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:31 pm

did you stay at uga or go to nyu?

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:45 pm

Whoops, sorry I missed the last message.

Yeah, I decided to transfer. With everything else in the air, there was at least one easy decision to make: NYC vs. Athens.

NYC won.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:01 am

mrloblaw wrote:Whoops, sorry I missed the last message.

Yeah, I decided to transfer. With everything else in the air, there was at least one easy decision to make: NYC vs. Athens.

NYC won.
Congrats! And good luck!!

mebeSajid

Bronze

Post by mebeSajid » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:13 am

mrloblaw wrote:Whoops, sorry I missed the last message.

NYC won.
I made the opposite decision, and it was an easy one: $0 debt vs $150k in debt. And as much as I love NYC, no debt won.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rapstar

Bronze

Post by rapstar » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:21 pm

Does anyone know how many students transferred out of UGA?

Transferthrowaway

Silver

Post by Transferthrowaway » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:31 pm

rapstar wrote:Does anyone know how many students transferred out of UGA?
3 as of right now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”