USC or Hastings

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
CuriousAbout

USC or Hastings

Postby CuriousAbout » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:58 pm

Here are the facts:
- Placed deposit at Hastings, made OCI bids on Monday.
- I was accepted at USC last night; can still participate in OCI if they receive $500 by Tuesday.
- Eventually, I want to settle down in SF and I have lived/ worked there for four years prior to law school. But, I want to work in financial regulation and may do a fellowship in DC for a few years upon graduating. Does USC’s reputation and national recognition bring me closer to this goal, such that, this offsets the Bay Area connections Hastings will bring?
- USC’s LSE LLM program, business concentration, and overall reputation appeal to me.
- Hastings does not have a business law concentration; however, they do offer several business law courses.

What do you think, USC or Hastings?

Thank you for constructive feedback.

lawfuture10

Re: USC or Hastings

Postby lawfuture10 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:00 pm

Hastings throws you into the bloodbath that is the SF area.

You're going to have to battle Stanford, Berkeley, Davis, Santa Clara, other Hastings students, McGeorge...

USC is a better school and seems to fit better with your goals.

Just my 2 cents, but I'd go USC everytime here.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:05 pm

lawfuture10 wrote:Hastings throws you into the bloodbath that is the SF area.

You're going to have to battle Stanford, Berkeley, Davis, Santa Clara, other Hastings students, McGeorge...

USC is a better school and seems to fit better with your goals.

Just my 2 cents, but I'd go USC everytime here.

+1

USC is a better school and it's in a bigger area. The SF job market has been beat like a dead horse on here, it's rough and I feel like for what you want (Other than SF location) it'll do everything you need far better.

FireNextTime

Postby FireNextTime » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:13 pm

lawfuture10 wrote:Just my 2 cents, but I'd go USC everytime here.

I love Hastings. But if you're going to transfer, you might as well go high as you can.

SoCow

Postby SoCow » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:15 pm

You'll probably have similar opportunities up in sf coming out of USC vs coming out of hastings. USC will also provide you with the flexibility to go elsewhere also.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:51 pm

USC. /thread.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:59 pm

USC will provide you better opportunities in California. Perhaps, a little harder to land a job in SF from USC, but the firms will still "respect" the degree more. Not to mention, Hasting's OCI bidding period is over according to some posters here, so no reason to pick it over USC.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:59 pm

FireNextTime wrote:
lawfuture10 wrote:Just my 2 cents, but I'd go USC everytime here.

I love Hastings. But if you're going to transfer, you might as well go high as you can.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:37 pm

I was looking seriously at Hastings and UCLA, if they accepted me. If I had the choice, I would've gone to UCLA in a heartbeat, even though I want SF. That said, I would choose USC for your career goals. Also, you missed the Hastings OCI bid deadline. The main point of transferring is the 2L OCI and since that's out of the picture now, I don't see much benefit in transferring there.

Return to “Transfers”