Transfer to Cornell worth if i cant participate in AJF? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
handydandy

New

Transfer to Cornell worth if i cant participate in AJF?

Post by handydandy » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:26 pm

Is it worth transferring to Cornell from T-35 if i cant participate in august job fair, which is the main part of OCI?
what is the likelihood of getting big firm job?
is there any realistic possibility of getting one 3L summer?

i guess my bottom line question is, if i dont get 2L summer biglaw gig, can is it still worth it? will i be able to attain one some other way w/ a degree from cornell?
Last edited by handydandy on Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Transferthrowaway

Silver

Re: Transfer to Cornell worth if i cant participate in AJF?

Post by Transferthrowaway » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:26 pm

handydandy wrote:Is it worth transferring to Cornell from T-35 if i cant participate in august job fair, which is the main part of OCI?
Hmmm
Last edited by Transferthrowaway on Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:27 pm

handydandy wrote:Is it worth transferring to Cornell from T-35 if i cant participate in august job fair, which is the main part of OCI?
What kind of Rancid TTT bans transfers from OCI?

IthacaIsWet

New

Post by IthacaIsWet » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:27 pm

The August Job Fair is a large chunk of OCI, but we haven't started bidding for the two actual OCI events yet.

Not sure anyone will have actual hard numbers for you, though.
Desert Fox wrote: What kind of Rancid TTT bans transfers from OCI?
It's not an actual ban so much as our bids were due ~2 weeks ago and we got interview schedules yesterday.
Last edited by IthacaIsWet on Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

handydandy

New

Post by handydandy » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:28 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
well they argue that the deadline for bidding process is over, and therefore i cant take part in it. However, i can take part in regular OCI which has like 15 employers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Transferthrowaway

Silver

Post by Transferthrowaway » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:28 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Their deadline passes before transfers get in.

handydandy

New

Post by handydandy » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:29 pm

IthacaIsWet wrote:The August Job Fair is a large chunk of OCI, but we haven't started bidding for the two actual OCI events yet.

there are two actual OCI events? i was only aware of one OCI. care to explain please?

IthacaIsWet

New

Post by IthacaIsWet » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:30 pm

handydandy wrote:
IthacaIsWet wrote:The August Job Fair is a large chunk of OCI, but we haven't started bidding for the two actual OCI events yet.

there are two actual OCI events? i was only aware of one OCI. care to explain please?

There's M-W Aug 29-31, and then there's W-R, Sep 7-8.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:32 pm

Then they should admit transfers sooner. This is bait and switch bullshit. You shouldn't transfer.

Anyone who says you should is an idiot.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

IthacaIsWet

New

Post by IthacaIsWet » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Then they should admit transfers sooner. This is bait and switch bullshit. You shouldn't transfer.

I'm not defending them or the stupid policy, but to call it "bait and switch" implies that they promise that you'll have access to everything and then limit it to just the two events.

YZH

New

Post by YZH » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:35 pm

i guess my bottom line question is, if i dont get 2L summer biglaw gig, can is it still worth it? will i be able to attain one some other way w/ a degree from cornell?
Hi HandyDandy,

I got into Cornell and Northwestern and very reluctantly, my hand is being forced and I'm going to NU. I wanted to be closer to the NYC market, Cornell is an Ivy, this would please my parents, etc etc, but without access to that AJF, I just can't justify going there. My reason for transferring is to have greater opportunities next summer and after I graduate, and it looks like that wouldn't happen next summer and I'd be back at this same firm I'm at now next summer. I'm sure come December, I'd be left thinking...why did I transfer and give up a full ride when I'm working at the SAME place next summer. That said, my 3L year, I will have access to everything and that will be a leg up from where I'm at now, but from what I can tell my opportunities will be pretty much the same at Nwestern. The director of career services at CORNELL said that it's irrelevant whether i'm in New York state or Chicago b/c all NYC firms know we want to be there. They don't question it. Cornell has been completely willing to tell me that I should go to Northwestern if I have full access to OCI. I asked about academia, and director of career services at Cornell said that just depends on how well I do. Cornell v. Northwestern would be on a similar level. So yeah, I've 98% decided to go to Northwestern and need to get my shit together to bid by Sunday. Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

chatterbox43

New

Post by chatterbox43 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:44 pm

Have you talked to Career Services? What did they say? I'm guessing you can still go to the AJF -- you won't have interviews going in, but you can go to the hospitality suites, or even email the firms that will be there and explain the situation and maybe get interviews at lunch or after hours.

My gut instinct is that going to Cornell, even without the AJF, would still be better than your current T35 for BigLaw jobs, particularly in NYC. If you have another T14 school that will let you go to OCI, that's obviously different.

I'm a current Cornellian, not a transfer, so take from that what you will.

handydandy

New

Post by handydandy » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:18 pm

chatterbox43 wrote:

Have you talked to Career Services? What did they say? I'm guessing you can still go to the AJF -- you won't have interviews going in, but you can go to the hospitality suites, or even email the firms that will be there and explain the situation and maybe get interviews at lunch or after hours.

My gut instinct is that going to Cornell, even without the AJF, would still be better than your current T35 for BigLaw jobs, particularly in NYC. If you have another T14 school that will let you go to OCI, that's obviously different.

I'm a current Cornellian, not a transfer, so take from that what you will.
...edit

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:34 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Then they should admit transfers sooner. This is bait and switch bullshit. You shouldn't transfer.

+1,000 - it's not even close.

Transferthrowaway

Silver

Post by Transferthrowaway » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:06 pm

Handy, if you're still around and at the school I think you are:
Top 15% at your t-35 prob won't cut it for the biggest of law in your current market. Plus the 1L classes are worth 6 credits each, so working extra hard 2L and 3L year in 3 credit classes to boost your GPA is going to be an uphill battle, at best. I would go to Cornell and just kick ass there.

froggymc

New

Post by froggymc » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:13 pm

what about all the people who bid at cornell before transferring and now decided to transfer and have given their interview spots back to career services? Can't you take their (read: my) spot?

mebeSajid

Bronze

Post by mebeSajid » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:21 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:Handy, if you're still around and at the school I think you are:
Top 15% at your t-35 prob won't cut it for the biggest of law in your current market. Plus the 1L classes are worth 6 credits each, so working extra hard 2L and 3L year in 3 credit classes to boost your GPA is going to be an uphill battle, at best. I would go to Cornell and just kick ass there.
Also, there are like 25 employers in early OCI at your T-35. I'd say it really depends on the market you want. Top 15% might not cut it for the biggest of the big in your current market, but it may cut it for some of the not quite as big law firms in town, many of which still pay market or close to market.

I'd say:

1. Figure out what market you want to be in first.
2. Talk to career services at Cornell and see what they can do for you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

handydandy

New

Post by handydandy » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:34 pm

im top 10% and graded onto law review.

Transferthrowaway

Silver

Post by Transferthrowaway » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:33 pm

handydandy wrote:im top 10% and graded onto law review.
Then you aren't who I thought. Nvm my advice

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:35 pm

Do you go to Fordham?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:23 pm

I was in the same boat as YZH and eliminated Cornell almost as soon as I found out about not participating in the AJF. Which was too bad because I really preferred Cornell due to the access to NYC and familiarity with the school. If you got in anywhere else in the T14 (there seem to be a bunch of cross-admits with NU), then go there.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”