Help with Decision

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
notsopatient
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:06 pm

Help with Decision

Postby notsopatient » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:48 pm

Hi all,

It's about that time and I'm having a lot of trouble with this decision. Top 4-5% at T2 that is basically in my hometown, on law review, with a full scholarship. Got in to GTown last week. 2 years work experience in between undergrad and law school as a paralegal at a V5 firm in NYC. Goals are a job paying as much as possible, probably litigation, in either the market I am in currently or NYC. Certainly would not mind (and may even prefer) working in the market where I am now. As a basis of comparison, 10-15 NALP firms in my current school's market are coming to my current school's OCI (although more interview on campus at later dates apparently), while there are 10-12 firms from that same market at GULC's EIW alone.

GULC would of course be at sticker. I have an interesting background, Ivy league undergrad, and think I will interview well at either place. Thoughts? Thanks in advance for reading and taking the time to help.

notsopatient
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Help with Decision

Postby notsopatient » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:52 pm

I will add that I had a paid summer associateship at a mid-size firm in my home market this summer and was told by a partner there and by professors at my current school that they will help me land a clerkship if I so desire.

flexityflex86
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: Help with Decision

Postby flexityflex86 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:54 pm

I think the combination of LR and the full ride trumps Georgetown at sticker. Being on law review at a TT is as impressive as graduating a t-14.

User avatar
blacklawboss
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:22 pm

Re: Help with Decision

Postby blacklawboss » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:57 pm

Hmmm tough decision. A lot rides on placement of recent 3L's at your current school. GULC gives you more flexibility nationally, but if you have standing relationships at top firms is the future debt worth the name and T15 standing?

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Help with Decision

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:03 pm

Stay. Georgetown at sticker is not worth giving up top 5% rank, a full scholarship & law review in your top choice market. However, if you successfully write-on to Georgetown's law review, then transferring is an equally good move.

notsopatient
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Help with Decision

Postby notsopatient » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:10 pm

thanks all for the advice so far. I have been working hard on the GULC write on and with the way their journal ranking system works, I may have a shot at a secondary journal. Would landing a secondary journal tip the scales in GULC's favor? Worth spending $800 on a deposit due on Friday to find out?

I think students in my position from my current school will be able to nail a big firm in my current school's market (there are 5-10 V100's, main office or satellites) and a bunch of other boutiques. Of course, summer classes are really tiny....

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Help with Decision

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:19 pm

If you want to live & work in your current market, then stay. Would Georgetown with a secondary journal & $150,000 debt give you any advantage in your current market ? Law review, top 5% ranking & a full scholarship in your top choice market probably give you much better odds at being hired by a top firm in your current city. Stay.

floggered
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: Help with Decision

Postby floggered » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:19 pm

blacklawboss wrote:Hmmm tough decision. A lot rides on placement of recent 3L's at your current school. GULC gives you more flexibility nationally, but if you have standing relationships at top firms is the future debt worth the name and T15 standing?


Obvious, UCLA/Texas trolling.

flexityflex86 wrote:I think the combination of LR and the full ride trumps Georgetown at sticker. Being on law review at a TT is as impressive as graduating a t-14.


Cite?

* * *
OP: In the short term, I think it's a push. You'll face stiff competition at Gtown's OCI from the other ~90 transfers and rising 2Ls, but find the number and quality of firms to be much better. Not to mention, if you want to work in the federal government--at least those ones that are hiring--few schools are better than Gtown. That said, you're a lock for any pre-select interview at your current school, and, like other have said, if you're in the market in which you'd like to work, it seems you have a very good shot at those jobs.

In the long term, though, Gtown. Hands down. The first thing hiring partners, clients, and casual observers look at is your school; if you're trying to lateral into another market, that will be signficant. So, unless you want to practice in your market for most or all of your career, Gtown will open doors down the road that a TierTwo cannot.

Either way, you're in fine position to succeed. Good luck and congrats!

notsopatient
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Help with Decision

Postby notsopatient » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:06 pm

Thanks! Still have to hear from CLS and NYU so I suppose this could change but the analysis would largely be the same. Appreciate the responses.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Help with Decision

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:10 pm

NYU & Columbia would be game-changers, in my opinion, since you have expressed interest in NYC biglaw.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Help with Decision

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:08 pm

T6 or bust.

notsopatient
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Help with Decision

Postby notsopatient » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:34 am

hopefully NYU and CLS can come back soon and make a decision. Although I've spent a lot of time on the GULC write on.

notsopatient
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Help with Decision

Postby notsopatient » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:56 pm

shameless bump. deposit due today and I'm still torn. Most likely throwing the deposit down, if only to see if I wrote on to a journal. Any other opinions appreciated.

noxhil
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: Help with Decision

Postby noxhil » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:12 pm

'
Last edited by noxhil on Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: Help with Decision

Postby firemed » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:01 pm

Personally I would stay.

Like, for me if I was top 5% at my T2 I would only transfer for HYS. Better to be a big fish in a little pond than an average sized fish in a big pond. Only HYS would make me change my mind, I think.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.