Wake or WNL?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
RodneyBoonfield

Wake or WNL?

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:58 am

Looking to end up in Florida. Both are pretty much equally priced.

K.R.I.T.

Re: Wake or WNL?

Postby K.R.I.T. » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:26 am

Flip a coin. You'll be good either way. Congrats.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:30 am

Florida will be hard as a transfer from either of those schools unless you grew up in Florida. Why no UF / FSU?

RodneyBoonfield

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:38 am

Fortunately I did grow up in FL. Denied from UF. Do not really understand why but oh well. Very credible sources told me that Wake's reputation is probably better than FSU in FL.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:39 am

RodneyBoonfield wrote:Fortunately I did grow up in FL. Denied from UF. Do not really understand why but oh well. Very credible sources told me that Wake's reputation is probably better than FSU in FL.

Depends on the firm for sure, as a general rule I would say if you grew up in FL then it's a wash in terms of reputation, although you do lose out on the alumni boost. Either way, Wake probably carries better than WNL because of better UG reputation / proximity.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:02 am

What is WNL? Is that supposed to mean W&L.

RodneyBoonfield

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:17 am

Yeah w&l.

The clerk and judge that I know here in FL both said hands down wnl.

K.R.I.T.

Postby K.R.I.T. » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:30 am

In terms of UG prestige, Wake and W&L are a toss up. Wake is bigger, W&L is a smaller liberal arts institution. According to USNEWS, W&L is stronger in its respective class. That being said, the difference in lay prestige/etc. is negligible.

In terms of Florida, Wake is probably safer due to proximity. Either way, you will get a good education.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:31 am

RodneyBoonfield wrote:Yeah w&l.

The clerk and judge that I know here in FL both said hands down wnl.

On the East Coast, W&L is def the better option. In the legal world, it still carries a lot of respect. Wake is okay for NC but it doesn't carry as much as people think in law.

K.R.I.T.

Postby K.R.I.T. » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:32 am

What are you looking for in terms of social life? The two are probably dissimilar in that regard...

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:33 am

Actually Wake and W&L are pretty similar schools. I would say, where I'm from (NYC area), W&L undergrad is more prestigious. This is pretty much a tossup as far as law school goes though.

RodneyBoonfield

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:44 am

Not too concerned about the social life.
Thank you all for your opinions. To me its still a toss up and I think I will have to go and visit both.
BTW KRIT congrats on WUSTL.

floggered

Postby floggered » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:44 am

ndirish2010 wrote:Actually Wake and W&L are pretty similar schools. I would say, where I'm from (NYC area), W&L undergrad is more prestigious. This is pretty much a tossup as far as law school goes though.

Disclaimer: I attended W&L for my first year.

I'd disagree. If price is the same, I'd say W&L by a healthy margin. No knock on Wake, but W&L's reputation and academics are much stronger. The professors are top-notch and I really enjoyed my time at the school and in Lexington.

The only caveat is that I have no idea the FL placement statistics for either school, and I'm not sure there are many OCI firms interviewing for FL at W&L. I'd figure out quickly whether Wake places grads better in FL. Either way, you may need to network/hustle your way back home.

RodneyBoonfield

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:32 pm

More opinions are welcomed...still cant decide

2013ek

Postby 2013ek » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:16 am

Wake. Great school, and, more importantly, way better QOL in Winston-Salem than in Lexington. Lexington is a town with a population of 6,000 in the middle of nowhere Northern VA. Options are pretty limited and it gets very boring. Btw, the closest thing resembling a city is over 50 miles away and it's Roanoke, Va. Also, keep in mind that since it is such a small school in the middle of nowhere, the student body really bonds during their 1L yr. That may be a good thing, but it may make it really difficult for you to transition if cliques have already been formed and your on the outside looking with no other options to socialize or meet ppl. Wake hands down.

RodneyBoonfield

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:55 am

Great point 2013. Never even thought of that. I'm wondering, though, if that alone is enough to pass up wnl.

Return to “Transfers”