Top 10% + LR at WUSTL to Michigan/Chicago? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

What the hell should I do?

Stay at WUSTL
18%
Transfer to Chicago ONLY
45%
Transfer to Michigan ONLY
6%
Transfer to EITHER
30%

Total votes: 33

jameskpolk

New

Top 10% + LR at WUSTL to Michigan/Chicago?

Post by jameskpolk » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:04 pm

Been struggling with this for a while now. I've been soliciting the opinions of virtually everybody I encounter, so why should TLS be any different?

I'm a rising 2L at WUSTL. Top 10% (barely), graded on to law review. Have a couple profs who seem to like me. No scholarship, and my inquiries into getting one were shot down.

Have been admitted to Michigan. Waiting on Chicago, so let's enter that into the equation as a hypothetical destination.

Like many folks on this board, I'm aiming for Biglaw. Also would like a federal appellate clerkship -- who doesn't? I'm from the Chicago area, and I'd like returning, but I'm also interested in DC, NYC, and any major city (in that order.) Job location won't play a huge factor in my ultimate decision; career opportunity will.

What do you all think the pros and cons of transferring are, besides the obvious loss of credentials? Is there something about either school that would make it a better landing point for me? E.g., I've been very impressed by how Michigan seems to handle its transfer students.

Thanks.
Last edited by jameskpolk on Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nstockholm

New

Re: WUSTL to Michigan/Chicago?

Post by nstockholm » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:34 pm

In 1844, the Democrats were split...

ndirish2010

Gold

Re: Top 10% + LR at WUSTL to Michigan/Chicago?

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:40 pm

I don't think I'd leave for Michigan. Chicago is a much tougher call if you get in. Your clerkship chances are probably lower if you transfer, but you'll have a lot more access to Chicago firms at OCI. What is the WUSTL OCI looking like with Chicago?

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:44 pm

Top 10%+LR at WashU is a lock for big law and almost as close as you could be for a lock on a federal clerkship. I'm not sure that I would transfer from such a good position at WashU to anything less than HYS.

While it is unfortunate that you do not have a scholarship to WashU, you would give up a great set of potential credentials (Summa or Magna Cum Laude, Order of the Coif, LR, etc.) for a better school name on your diploma. I think mass mailing in your position would result in a lot of interest in Chicago.

jameskpolk

New

Post by jameskpolk » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:48 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:While it is unfortunate that you do not have a scholarship to WashU
It's borderline irrelevant, I think. Just trying to stave off the "ask for money!" responses.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

martinvanburen

New

Post by martinvanburen » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:52 pm

<---- is a former President, and an abolitionist.

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:59 pm

Chicago is a yes, I think. I'd probably turn down Michigan because of the law review difference.

Your appellate clerkship odds are very low either way. I'm seeing only 2-5 circuit clerks from WUSTL a year -- looks like on the low end the last few years. (--LinkRemoved-- http://lawclerkaddict.blogspot.com/2007 ... chool.html)

So you'd probably need top 3 percent grades plus law review to have a realistic shot (and even then probably 50/50).

I'd think you'd be a strong candidate for a district clerkship at WUSTL+law review or Chicago.

Nothing to lose -- go for the better degree, it'll serve you better with firms and over time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”