Transfer Dilemma! Need Opinions on which school to attend

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rshervey
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:29 pm

Transfer Dilemma! Need Opinions on which school to attend

Postby rshervey » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:14 pm

I am a Wisconsin resident who went to an east coast law school last fall. I have been accepted to transfer @ both Wisconsin and Minnesota. I now have to decide which to attend. I had to deposit early to hold a seat at MN so I have about $1000 on the line if I choose Wisconsin. I have less than 2 weeks to commit to Wisconsin now that I have been accepted.

Issues:

1. In-state tuition @ Wisconsin (~$19k/Yr) <--- Saves $30,000 over the last 2 years, but we are talking $170k total debt vs. $200k total debt after MN

2. No bar exam @ Wisconsin...awesome.

3. Rank: 35 (Wisconsin) vs. 20 Minnesota. How important is this really if I want to go private firm?

4. Sports: Wisconsin>Minnesota. I would love to see the badgers and couldn't care less about the gophers.

5. Practice area: No real preference, but I don't want to be "stuck" in Wisconsin if I end up graduating from there.



Looking for opinions and votes! Thank you all for your input!

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: Transfer Dilemma! Need Opinions on which school to attend

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:17 pm

rshervey wrote:I am a Wisconsin resident who went to an east coast law school last fall. I have been accepted to transfer @ both Wisconsin and Minnesota. I now have to decide which to attend. I had to deposit early to hold a seat at MN so I have about $1000 on the line if I choose Wisconsin. I have less than 2 weeks to commit to Wisconsin now that I have been accepted.

Issues:

1. In-state tuition @ Wisconsin (~$19k/Yr) <--- Saves $30,000 over the last 2 years, but we are talking $170k total debt vs. $200k total debt after MN

2. No bar exam @ Wisconsin...awesome.

3. Rank: 35 (Wisconsin) vs. 20 Minnesota. How important is this really if I want to go private firm?

4. Sports: Wisconsin>Minnesota. I would love to see the badgers and couldn't care less about the gophers.

5. Practice area: No real preference, but I don't want to be "stuck" in Wisconsin if I end up graduating from there.



Looking for opinions and votes! Thank you all for your input!


You're probably going to be stuck in Wisconsin if you end up graduating from there. Of course, you're probably going to be stuck in MN if you end up graduating from there, too. Neither one has good national placement, particularly for a transfer student.

Good luck to you - you're going to be hurting regardless of what you do, with $170k or $200k from either of these schools.

crazyblink653
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:13 pm

Re: Transfer Dilemma! Need Opinions on which school to attend

Postby crazyblink653 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:17 pm

rshervey wrote:I am a Wisconsin resident who went to an east coast law school last fall. I have been accepted to transfer @ both Wisconsin and Minnesota. I now have to decide which to attend. I had to deposit early to hold a seat at MN so I have about $1000 on the line if I choose Wisconsin. I have less than 2 weeks to commit to Wisconsin now that I have been accepted.

Issues:

1. In-state tuition @ Wisconsin (~$19k/Yr) <--- Saves $30,000 over the last 2 years, but we are talking $170k total debt vs. $200k total debt after MN

2. No bar exam @ Wisconsin...awesome.

3. Rank: 35 (Wisconsin) vs. 20 Minnesota. How important is this really if I want to go private firm?

4. Sports: Wisconsin>Minnesota. I would love to see the badgers and couldn't care less about the gophers.

5. Practice area: No real preference, but I don't want to be "stuck" in Wisconsin if I end up graduating from there.



Looking for opinions and votes! Thank you all for your input!


this is pretty much a toss up, i think, though given that you've already sent in your deposit at Minnesoata and that it is a slightly more respected school nationally, i'd say go to Minnesoate. plus the $30k difference in debt is not that significant given you're already taking on a lot.

User avatar
tww909
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:41 am

Re: Transfer Dilemma! Need Opinions on which school to attend

Postby tww909 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:28 pm

disclaimer: i was a 1L at wisconsin this year and am transferring to michigan

how much are you paying at your current school and how do you feel about the market you're in and the placement in it? also what are your grades like there?

i'm guessing you want to work in a firm by what you said here. if that's not the case then ignore this.

if you don't want to practice in wisconsin you shouldn't go. i know somebody will chime in and say we have some placement in chicago and the twin cities, and it's true, but you shouldn't count on that. if you want to practice on the coasts, neither of these schools is likely going to set you up well unless you really hustle, get lucky, or know someone. this is especially true because the registration and bidding off campus job fairs in CA, DC, and NYC have already passed. OCI at UW this year is an improvement over the bloodbath of the last few years, but it's also not paradise with firms from all over. here's the list: http://law.wisc.edu/career/oci_firms.htm

i count 9 chicago firms and 12 twin cities firms (including IP), though no guarantee i counted correctly. if you are willing to work in wisconsin, it might not be such a bad call to go - 30k less will make a noticeable difference in your monthly payments. nevertheless don't go thinking OCI is going to set you up really well. it is all preselect, so depending on your grades at your old school, and their opinions of where you went to school before/transfers in general you may not get a ton of interviews. where in wisconsin are you from? do you have significant connections? i shouldn't have to tell you, but use them.

my impression (and this is without any concrete information to back it up) is that minnesota is probably the better school for minnesota, and wisconsin is better for wisconsin, and it is unlikely you'll end up anywhere other than those places by going there. rankings mean less than the built in alumni base both schools have in their respective states.

Nacirema
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:01 am

Re: Transfer Dilemma! Need Opinions on which school to attend

Postby Nacirema » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Go Badgers

rshervey
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:29 pm

Re: Transfer Dilemma! Need Opinions on which school to attend

Postby rshervey » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:11 pm

tww909 wrote:
how much are you paying at your current school and how do you feel about the market you're in and the placement in it? also what are your grades like there?

where in wisconsin are you from? do you have significant connections?



Thanks for your post. I pay about $36k/yr at my "current school" but I have already told them I will be transferring. I was top 17% after the first year there (rank:60's)

I am from the Eau Claire area and I have some decent connections in that area, but really would rather live and work in the Madison/Milwaukee area if it was in Wisconsin. The job market of the twin cities is more of a draw than anything in Wisconsin, so do you think I would have a decent shot at working there? Not interested in Chicago at all. I am not looking for anything crazy job-wise, but something to live decently off of while paying back loans.

User avatar
Nogameisfair
Posts: 143
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: Transfer Dilemma! Need Opinions on which school to attend

Postby Nogameisfair » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:21 pm

rshervey wrote:I am a Wisconsin resident who went to an east coast law school last fall. I have been accepted to transfer @ both Wisconsin and Minnesota. I now have to decide which to attend. I had to deposit early to hold a seat at MN so I have about $1000 on the line if I choose Wisconsin. I have less than 2 weeks to commit to Wisconsin now that I have been accepted.

Issues:

1. In-state tuition @ Wisconsin (~$19k/Yr) <--- Saves $30,000 over the last 2 years, but we are talking $170k total debt vs. $200k total debt after MN

2. No bar exam @ Wisconsin...awesome.

3. Rank: 35 (Wisconsin) vs. 20 Minnesota. How important is this really if I want to go private firm?

4. Sports: Wisconsin>Minnesota. I would love to see the badgers and couldn't care less about the gophers.

5. Practice area: No real preference, but I don't want to be "stuck" in Wisconsin if I end up graduating from there.



Looking for opinions and votes! Thank you all for your input!



As someone who is taking the bar in a week, I say: run, don't walk to Wisconsin! This thing is awful.

User avatar
tww909
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:41 am

Re: Transfer Dilemma! Need Opinions on which school to attend

Postby tww909 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:22 pm

rshervey wrote:
tww909 wrote:
how much are you paying at your current school and how do you feel about the market you're in and the placement in it? also what are your grades like there?

where in wisconsin are you from? do you have significant connections?



Thanks for your post. I pay about $36k/yr at my "current school" but I have already told them I will be transferring. I was top 17% after the first year there (rank:60's)

I am from the Eau Claire area and I have some decent connections in that area, but really would rather live and work in the Madison/Milwaukee area if it was in Wisconsin. The job market of the twin cities is more of a draw than anything in Wisconsin, so do you think I would have a decent shot at working there? Not interested in Chicago at all. I am not looking for anything crazy job-wise, but something to live decently off of while paying back loans.


it is very competitive in madison, because most people here like it in madison and would much rather work here than milwaukee. a fair amount of people get milwaukee SAs, however the heavyweights (quarles and foley) have been hit very hard ITE and hire very few (like 1-2) UW SAs each year.

if the twin cities is the draw you won't be totally shut out going to UW, but you'll be better off going to minnesota. our self reported employment info shows 6 people doing twin cities SAs right now (seven if you include someone working in waconia, but i have no idea where that is) and 2 of those 6 are 1Ls. 16 2Ls are working for firms in madison, 9 2Ls are working for firms in milwaukee. that is 29 2Ls doing SAs (and some of these are dead end not turning into a full time job summer gigs) in milwaukee, madison, and twin cities.

i think the conclusion here is obvious. the economy is comically bad.

rshervey
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:29 pm

Re: Transfer Dilemma! Need Opinions on which school to attend

Postby rshervey » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:33 pm

tww909 wrote:it is very competitive in madison, because most people here like it in madison and would much rather work here than milwaukee. a fair amount of people get milwaukee SAs, however the heavyweights (quarles and foley) have been hit very hard ITE and hire very few (like 1-2) UW SAs each year.

if the twin cities is the draw you won't be totally shut out going to UW, but you'll be better off going to minnesota. our self reported employment info shows 6 people doing twin cities SAs right now (seven if you include someone working in waconia, but i have no idea where that is) and 2 of those 6 are 1Ls. 16 2Ls are working for firms in madison, 9 2Ls are working for firms in milwaukee. that is 29 2Ls doing SAs (and some of these are dead end not turning into a full time job summer gigs) in milwaukee, madison, and twin cities.

i think the conclusion here is obvious. the economy is comically bad.


The economy being what it is, am I better saving $30,000 and trying for a job wherever they be, or bank on the cites and fork over the extra money? It seems like a lose-lose now haha.

User avatar
tww909
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:41 am

Re: Transfer Dilemma! Need Opinions on which school to attend

Postby tww909 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:40 pm

rshervey wrote:
tww909 wrote:it is very competitive in madison, because most people here like it in madison and would much rather work here than milwaukee. a fair amount of people get milwaukee SAs, however the heavyweights (quarles and foley) have been hit very hard ITE and hire very few (like 1-2) UW SAs each year.

if the twin cities is the draw you won't be totally shut out going to UW, but you'll be better off going to minnesota. our self reported employment info shows 6 people doing twin cities SAs right now (seven if you include someone working in waconia, but i have no idea where that is) and 2 of those 6 are 1Ls. 16 2Ls are working for firms in madison, 9 2Ls are working for firms in milwaukee. that is 29 2Ls doing SAs (and some of these are dead end not turning into a full time job summer gigs) in milwaukee, madison, and twin cities.

i think the conclusion here is obvious. the economy is comically bad.


The economy being what it is, am I better saving $30,000 and trying for a job wherever they be, or bank on the cites and fork over the extra money? It seems like a lose-lose now haha.


i vote for saving the 30k and working your ass off to get something. begin mass mailing as soon as possible to every firm not coming to OCI that you could possibly stomach working at everywhere you would be willing (notice i didn't say happy) to live. top 17% after 1L at wisconsin isn't in good shape, so you will have to milk every connection you have. there is 1 eau claire firm coming to OCI, definitely bid them. because it's preselect bidding you have almost as many bids as there are employers, so you might as well just use them, even if you wouldn't be thrilled to end up in EC.

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: Transfer Dilemma! Need Opinions on which school to attend

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:49 pm

tww909 wrote:
rshervey wrote:
tww909 wrote:
how much are you paying at your current school and how do you feel about the market you're in and the placement in it? also what are your grades like there?

where in wisconsin are you from? do you have significant connections?



Thanks for your post. I pay about $36k/yr at my "current school" but I have already told them I will be transferring. I was top 17% after the first year there (rank:60's)

I am from the Eau Claire area and I have some decent connections in that area, but really would rather live and work in the Madison/Milwaukee area if it was in Wisconsin. The job market of the twin cities is more of a draw than anything in Wisconsin, so do you think I would have a decent shot at working there? Not interested in Chicago at all. I am not looking for anything crazy job-wise, but something to live decently off of while paying back loans.


it is very competitive in madison, because most people here like it in madison and would much rather work here than milwaukee. a fair amount of people get milwaukee SAs, however the heavyweights (quarles and foley) have been hit very hard ITE and hire very few (like 1-2) UW SAs each year.

if the twin cities is the draw you won't be totally shut out going to UW, but you'll be better off going to minnesota. our self reported employment info shows 6 people doing twin cities SAs right now (seven if you include someone working in waconia, but i have no idea where that is) and 2 of those 6 are 1Ls. 16 2Ls are working for firms in madison, 9 2Ls are working for firms in milwaukee. that is 29 2Ls doing SAs (and some of these are dead end not turning into a full time job summer gigs) in milwaukee, madison, and twin cities.

i think the conclusion here is obvious. the economy is comically bad.


Huh, that's a lot better than it was a few years ago. At least things are improving..?

User avatar
tww909
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:41 am

Re: Transfer Dilemma! Need Opinions on which school to attend

Postby tww909 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:12 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
tww909 wrote:
rshervey wrote:
tww909 wrote:
how much are you paying at your current school and how do you feel about the market you're in and the placement in it? also what are your grades like there?

where in wisconsin are you from? do you have significant connections?



Thanks for your post. I pay about $36k/yr at my "current school" but I have already told them I will be transferring. I was top 17% after the first year there (rank:60's)

I am from the Eau Claire area and I have some decent connections in that area, but really would rather live and work in the Madison/Milwaukee area if it was in Wisconsin. The job market of the twin cities is more of a draw than anything in Wisconsin, so do you think I would have a decent shot at working there? Not interested in Chicago at all. I am not looking for anything crazy job-wise, but something to live decently off of while paying back loans.


it is very competitive in madison, because most people here like it in madison and would much rather work here than milwaukee. a fair amount of people get milwaukee SAs, however the heavyweights (quarles and foley) have been hit very hard ITE and hire very few (like 1-2) UW SAs each year.

if the twin cities is the draw you won't be totally shut out going to UW, but you'll be better off going to minnesota. our self reported employment info shows 6 people doing twin cities SAs right now (seven if you include someone working in waconia, but i have no idea where that is) and 2 of those 6 are 1Ls. 16 2Ls are working for firms in madison, 9 2Ls are working for firms in milwaukee. that is 29 2Ls doing SAs (and some of these are dead end not turning into a full time job summer gigs) in milwaukee, madison, and twin cities.

i think the conclusion here is obvious. the economy is comically bad.


Huh, that's a lot better than it was a few years ago. At least things are improving..?


i don't doubt it, but considering there are by my count ~25 students working in big/mid law (this includes places like dewitt ross, whyte hirschboek, and reinhardt) i don't know how anybody pays off 170k or 200k in debt with a degree from here.

User avatar
K.R.I.T.
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:20 am

Re: Transfer Dilemma! Need Opinions on which school to attend

Postby K.R.I.T. » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:36 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
tww909 wrote:
rshervey wrote:
tww909 wrote:
how much are you paying at your current school and how do you feel about the market you're in and the placement in it? also what are your grades like there?

where in wisconsin are you from? do you have significant connections?



Thanks for your post. I pay about $36k/yr at my "current school" but I have already told them I will be transferring. I was top 17% after the first year there (rank:60's)

I am from the Eau Claire area and I have some decent connections in that area, but really would rather live and work in the Madison/Milwaukee area if it was in Wisconsin. The job market of the twin cities is more of a draw than anything in Wisconsin, so do you think I would have a decent shot at working there? Not interested in Chicago at all. I am not looking for anything crazy job-wise, but something to live decently off of while paying back loans.


it is very competitive in madison, because most people here like it in madison and would much rather work here than milwaukee. a fair amount of people get milwaukee SAs, however the heavyweights (quarles and foley) have been hit very hard ITE and hire very few (like 1-2) UW SAs each year.

if the twin cities is the draw you won't be totally shut out going to UW, but you'll be better off going to minnesota. our self reported employment info shows 6 people doing twin cities SAs right now (seven if you include someone working in waconia, but i have no idea where that is) and 2 of those 6 are 1Ls. 16 2Ls are working for firms in madison, 9 2Ls are working for firms in milwaukee. that is 29 2Ls doing SAs (and some of these are dead end not turning into a full time job summer gigs) in milwaukee, madison, and twin cities.

i think the conclusion here is obvious. the economy is comically bad.


Huh, that's a lot better than it was a few years ago. At least things are improving..?


Ah, yes, the "jobless, growthless" economic recovery. Things are improving if you want to be a bureaucrat. Other than that- not really.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.