Darn you all. I'm going.

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Choose

Stay at NU
19
20%
Go to H-----D
51
54%
Go to H--l
24
26%
 
Total votes: 94

delusional
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Darn you all. I'm going.

Postby delusional » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:08 pm

lawyerkobe wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:
lawyerkobe wrote:Hey look. I found my poll from last year. I remembered making it, but didn't remember the username I had made for it. But here it is:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... w=viewpoll


So what kind of softie major did you have?


Not telling.

Are you taking guesses? Cause I have a good one.

User avatar
Lieut Kaffee
Posts: 774
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:01 am

Re: Darn you all. I'm going.

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:10 pm

rayiner wrote:
Lieut Kaffee wrote:
lawyerkobe wrote:
Lieut Kaffee wrote:What did you decide?


I didn't decide. I frankly don't think I can decide.
I deposited at Harvard, which did not require withdrawing from anywhere. And I didn't withdraw.
I told NU that I deposited at Harvard but was still unsure. They gave me until Wednesday at noon.
I should mention, that NU upped my scholarship to 120k, which means they would refund 40k of last years tuition.

So you see, many on this board are probably jealous of me. Well, I can see being jealous of my success, or jealous of my opportunities. But don't be jealous of being me. Being me is not always fun.


This is a fantastic deal. The main reason I didn't go through the pain of transfer apps is I was convinced this sort of thing didn't happen, though after 2nd semester I wouldn't have been quite as competitive anyway.


It doesn't happen. 'grats on taking the trollbait.


Around here it's a fine line between being the sucker or being a VW kind of paranoid. I'll take someone at their word for at least one dubious post, lol.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Darn you all. I'm going.

Postby rayiner » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:11 pm

thesealocust wrote:


You complete me.

lawyerkobe
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:51 pm

Re: Darn you all. I'm going.

Postby lawyerkobe » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:11 pm

rayiner wrote:
Lieut Kaffee wrote:
lawyerkobe wrote:
Lieut Kaffee wrote:What did you decide?


I didn't decide. I frankly don't think I can decide.
I deposited at Harvard, which did not require withdrawing from anywhere. And I didn't withdraw.
I told NU that I deposited at Harvard but was still unsure. They gave me until Wednesday at noon.
I should mention, that NU upped my scholarship to 120k, which means they would refund 40k of last years tuition.

So you see, many on this board are probably jealous of me. Well, I can see being jealous of my success, or jealous of my opportunities. But don't be jealous of being me. Being me is not always fun.


This is a fantastic deal. The main reason I didn't go through the pain of transfer apps is I was convinced this sort of thing didn't happen, though after 2nd semester I wouldn't have been quite as competitive anyway.


It doesn't happen. 'grats on taking the trollbait.


Doesn't happen? It happened.
How often is there the opportunity for it to happen? How many people attempt to transfer out a year, how many get into a better school, how many of those care to negotiate, and how many of those didn't receive any money the first year? And even so, you likely wouldn't hear about it.
Once you run the numbers, it really isn't surprising if you've never heard of it.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Darn you all. I'm going.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:15 pm

This a 180 flame. It got people IRL talking. Who did this. I want to buy you a beer.

lawyerkobe
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:51 pm

Re: Darn you all. I'm going.

Postby lawyerkobe » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:16 pm

Desert Fox wrote:This a 180 flame. It got people IRL talking. Who did this. I want to buy you a beer.


I accept the beer. But this is real.
Timmy O'tooles?

In any event, if I go, you'll might eventually find out. But if I stay, you'll never know.
Last edited by lawyerkobe on Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Darn you all. I'm going.

Postby rayiner » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:18 pm

lawyerkobe wrote:How many people attempt to transfer out a year, how many get into a better school, how many of those care to negotiate, and how many of those didn't receive any money the first year? And even so, you likely wouldn't hear about it.
Once you run the numbers, it really isn't surprising if you've never heard of it.


Several people every year transfer out for better schools, and given the obsessive need of law students to ping TLS for every little decision there is quite a high probability of hearing about it.

Coupled with the fact that the story makes no sense on two levels:
1) Top schools have zero reason to take scholarship money and give it to rising 2Ls. At places like BLS where half the top 10% tries to transfer out the school has an incentive to give scholarships to keep their employment stats up, but T14s where only a few people might choose to transfer have no such incentive.
2) It makes no sense for them to refund 1L tuition yet still charge you partial tuition 2L and 3L instead of just giving you a full tuition waiver for those years.

My analysis suggests 94% probability that it's a flame. So I'll treat it as such. The 6% won't keep me up at night.

lawyerkobe
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:51 pm

Re: Darn you all. I'm going.

Postby lawyerkobe » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:19 pm

rayiner wrote:
lawyerkobe wrote:How many people attempt to transfer out a year, how many get into a better school, how many of those care to negotiate, and how many of those didn't receive any money the first year? And even so, you likely wouldn't hear about it.
Once you run the numbers, it really isn't surprising if you've never heard of it.


Several people every year transfer out for better schools, and given the obsessive need of law students to ping TLS for every little decision there is quite a high probability of hearing about it.

Coupled with the fact that the story makes no sense on two levels:
1) Top schools have zero reason to take scholarship money and give it to rising 2Ls. At places like BLS where half the top 10% tries to transfer out the school has an incentive to give scholarships to keep their employment stats up, but T14s where only a few people might choose to transfer have no such incentive.
2) It makes no sense for them to refund 1L tuition yet still charge you partial tuition 2L and 3L instead of just giving you a full tuition waiver for those years.

My analysis suggests 94% probability that it's a flame. So I'll treat it as such. The 6% won't keep me up at night.


How much you wanna bet?
Because if you can get a whole bunch of people to bet on this, I'll bet against them and go. And then the money will equal out.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Darn you all. I'm going.

Postby rayiner » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:21 pm

lawyerkobe wrote:
rayiner wrote:
lawyerkobe wrote:How many people attempt to transfer out a year, how many get into a better school, how many of those care to negotiate, and how many of those didn't receive any money the first year? And even so, you likely wouldn't hear about it.
Once you run the numbers, it really isn't surprising if you've never heard of it.


Several people every year transfer out for better schools, and given the obsessive need of law students to ping TLS for every little decision there is quite a high probability of hearing about it.

Coupled with the fact that the story makes no sense on two levels:
1) Top schools have zero reason to take scholarship money and give it to rising 2Ls. At places like BLS where half the top 10% tries to transfer out the school has an incentive to give scholarships to keep their employment stats up, but T14s where only a few people might choose to transfer have no such incentive.
2) It makes no sense for them to refund 1L tuition yet still charge you partial tuition 2L and 3L instead of just giving you a full tuition waiver for those years.

My analysis suggests 94% probability that it's a flame. So I'll treat it as such. The 6% won't keep me up at night.


How much you wanna bet?
Because if you can get a whole bunch of people to bet on this, I'll bet against them and go. And then the money will equal out.


*seriously contemplates paying you to go away*

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8446
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Darn you all. I'm going.

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:23 pm

I'll add $25 to the pot.

If you post proof of (1) your IRL identity and (2) the veracity of the things you have said ITT, that money is yours.

Any other contributors? I bet we can get this well into the 3, 4 figures and make it worth the kid's time.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: Darn you all. I'm going.

Postby Cavalier » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:24 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Holy jesus you are a dumb.

I'm actually going to give you an overall rating and a fortune.

Social Intelligence: 3/10
The boundless lack of tact you've exhibited so far would make most assume a 3/10 is generous. But we have to realize that you're a law student, and you're not deviating that far from the mean here, especially given your (ineffective) shroud of anonymity.

Academic Prowess: 8/10
You did very well at law school, but let's face it: There are people who did better at better schools, and even at yours you still missed law review.

Common Sense: 5/10
This situation is relatively unique, so you aren't docked massive points for your confusion.

Overall Score: 5.33 / 10

Fortune: Happiness, you think now, is just a word to you. But to those who seek happiness in immediate action, you see foolishness: Your payoff will be much larger even though it will be down the road. Slowly, however, that road will stretch out into infinity as you break every bone, muscle, and organ in your body chasing the fading light at the end of the tunnel.

You'll realize that you went wrong, but it won't be a sharp revelation. There will be no burst of light from the clouds, but rather an ever increasing sense of regret. Or perhaps not even that strong, because you'll get the brass rings. But as you hold them in your hand, place them on your finger, and thrust them into the air for all to gaze upon, it's not going to play out the way you thought it would in your head. They'll feel hollow and cheap on your hand, and the pleasure you thought they would bring will prove to be ephemeral. By then the pace will be too quick, and you'll be on to the next battle before you have time to realize the war has already been lost.

Like everyone else, you will die alone. As you pass from this earth having squandered your time, you won't even be afflicted with a need to look back. That's not how you work now, it's not how you'll work tomorrow, and it won't be how you work as death's embrace finally takes you. You will live the rest of your life blind to the majority of the world around you, and the total bleakness that is your existence.

Beautiful.

lawyerkobe
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:51 pm

Re: Darn you all. I'm going.

Postby lawyerkobe » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:25 pm

rayiner wrote:
lawyerkobe wrote:
rayiner wrote:
lawyerkobe wrote:How many people attempt to transfer out a year, how many get into a better school, how many of those care to negotiate, and how many of those didn't receive any money the first year? And even so, you likely wouldn't hear about it.
Once you run the numbers, it really isn't surprising if you've never heard of it.


Several people every year transfer out for better schools, and given the obsessive need of law students to ping TLS for every little decision there is quite a high probability of hearing about it.

Coupled with the fact that the story makes no sense on two levels:
1) Top schools have zero reason to take scholarship money and give it to rising 2Ls. At places like BLS where half the top 10% tries to transfer out the school has an incentive to give scholarships to keep their employment stats up, but T14s where only a few people might choose to transfer have no such incentive.
2) It makes no sense for them to refund 1L tuition yet still charge you partial tuition 2L and 3L instead of just giving you a full tuition waiver for those years.

My analysis suggests 94% probability that it's a flame. So I'll treat it as such. The 6% won't keep me up at night.


How much you wanna bet?
Because if you can get a whole bunch of people to bet on this, I'll bet against them and go. And then the money will equal out.


*seriously contemplates paying you to go away*


Really?
If I'm real, then I'm not really being that obnoxious. Especially being that everyone thinks I'm a troll.
If I'm not real, then isn't this entertaining?

In any event, I figured out how to prove I'm real. I posted on the T14 transfer status thread, about a week before I made this thread. So either I'm real, or a really elaborate fake. (And yes, I really did receive an email after I missed his call.)

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Darn you all. I'm going.

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:26 pm

rayiner wrote:*seriously contemplates paying you to go away*

I know a few people who would pitch in.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8446
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Darn you all. I'm going.

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:28 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
rayiner wrote:*seriously contemplates paying you to go away*

I know a few people who would pitch in.


I repeat: I'm in for $25, and that will go up if anybody else pledges.

Dig deep people, comedy this cheap is rare.

delusional
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Darn you all. I'm going.

Postby delusional » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:30 pm

Don't want to mess with the oddsmakers here, but I'm betting he's real.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Darn you all. I'm going.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:32 pm

delusional wrote:Don't want to mess with the oddsmakers here, but I'm betting he's real.


They aren't going to pay him to attend for 2 years when they can drag some top 15% Illinois 2L off the transfer wait list.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8446
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Darn you all. I'm going.

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:34 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
delusional wrote:Don't want to mess with the oddsmakers here, but I'm betting he's real.


They aren't going to pay him to attend for 2 years when they can drag some top 15% Illinois 2L off the transfer wait list.


also if they make this offer once, info will get out and rational self interest will make every single student apply to transfer. They'll start hemorrhaging top grades and/or money, to the tunes of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

The reason shitty schools do it is because everyone is already trying to transfer. Plus losing a few bodies from NU will leave plenty with great grades and prospects, but if you lop off the top of the curve at a TTT firms aren't going to be grabbing the people who weren't even pulling As even if they're all that's left.

lawyerkobe
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:51 pm

Re: Darn you all. I'm going.

Postby lawyerkobe » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:36 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
delusional wrote:Don't want to mess with the oddsmakers here, but I'm betting he's real.


They aren't going to pay him to attend for 2 years when they can drag some top 15% Illinois 2L off the transfer wait list.


also if they make this offer once, info will get out and rational self interest will make every single student apply to transfer. They'll start hemorrhaging top grades and/or money, to the tunes of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

The reason shitty schools do it is because everyone is already trying to transfer. Plus losing a few bodies from NU will leave plenty with great grades and prospects, but if you lop off the top of the curve at a TTT firms aren't going to be grabbing the people who weren't even pulling As even if they're all that's left.


Well, they may consider the word out.
Unless you fellows do a good enough job discrediting me.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8446
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Darn you all. I'm going.

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:37 pm

f7 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
rayiner wrote:*seriously contemplates paying you to go away*

I know a few people who would pitch in.


I repeat: I'm in for $25, and that will go up if anybody else pledges.

Dig deep people, comedy this cheap is rare.

Fine, I'm in.


$50 to reveal yourself. Not to bid against ourselves, but any more contributors? Let's make it worth this guy's while. $50 won't even get you any REAL good booze.

lawyerkobe
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:51 pm

Re: Darn you all. I'm going.

Postby lawyerkobe » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:38 pm

thesealocust wrote:
$50 to reveal yourself. Not to bid against ourselves, but any more contributors? Let's make it worth this guy's while. $50 won't even get you any REAL good booze.


I wouldn't post my name on a website which is searchable for $50.
But for the right amount I'll make lawyerkobe my nlaw google status.

delusional
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Darn you all. I'm going.

Postby delusional » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:40 pm

lawyerkobe wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
$50 to reveal yourself. Not to bid against ourselves, but any more contributors? Let's make it worth this guy's while. $50 won't even get you any REAL good booze.


I wouldn't post my name on a website which is searchable for $50.
But for the right amount I'll make lawyerkobe my nlaw google status.

Well, I'm pretty sure I know who you are, and I'll post it for two bucks less.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8446
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Darn you all. I'm going.

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:41 pm

lawyerkobe wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
$50 to reveal yourself. Not to bid against ourselves, but any more contributors? Let's make it worth this guy's while. $50 won't even get you any REAL good booze.


I wouldn't post my name on a website which is searchable for $50.
But for the right amount I'll make lawyerkobe my nlaw google status.


OK, he's in the game. Upping my offer to $75, that's $100 on the table.

COME ON BIG MONEY.

lawyerkobe
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:51 pm

Re: Darn you all. I'm going.

Postby lawyerkobe » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:42 pm

delusional wrote:
lawyerkobe wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
$50 to reveal yourself. Not to bid against ourselves, but any more contributors? Let's make it worth this guy's while. $50 won't even get you any REAL good booze.


I wouldn't post my name on a website which is searchable for $50.
But for the right amount I'll make lawyerkobe my nlaw google status.

Well, I'm pretty sure I know who you are, and I'll post it for two bucks less.


Hmmm. I'd really rather you didn't. If I stay, it could make some people a bit unfriendly with me perhaps.
Maybe email me and we'll see if you're right.
And if I stay (or am trolling), I'll buy you a beer.

delusional
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Darn you all. I'm going.

Postby delusional » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:43 pm

lawyerkobe wrote:
delusional wrote:
lawyerkobe wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
$50 to reveal yourself. Not to bid against ourselves, but any more contributors? Let's make it worth this guy's while. $50 won't even get you any REAL good booze.


I wouldn't post my name on a website which is searchable for $50.
But for the right amount I'll make lawyerkobe my nlaw google status.

Well, I'm pretty sure I know who you are, and I'll post it for two bucks less.


Hmmm. I'd really rather you didn't. If I stay, it could make some people a bit unfriendly with me perhaps.
Maybe email me and we'll see if you're right.
And if I stay (or am trolling), I'll buy you a beer.

I'm kidding, I wouldn't. Pm'd though.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Darn you all. I'm going.

Postby dresden doll » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:43 pm

lawyerkobe wrote:And if I stay (or am trolling), I'll buy you a beer.


The monetary offer is objectively more appealing.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.