Darn you all. I'm going.

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Choose

Stay at NU
20%
Go to H-----D
54%
Go to H--l
26%

Total votes: 94

Re: Darn you all. I'm going.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:33 pm

transferquest wrote:Well good thing I'm going to be a cavalier...otherwise i'd have to double my annual expenses on tetracycline and paper bags. I'll take southern ladies anytime....

But having to buy 3 pinks shirts for every day between laundry cycles adds up.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:36 pm

transferquest wrote:Well good thing I'm going to be a cavalier...otherwise i'd have to double my annual expenses on tetracycline and paper bags. I'll take southern ladies anytime....

You should fit right in down there, broheim.

transferquest

Postby transferquest » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:37 pm

Granted. But i went to a southern boarding school so even at my advanced age (32) I still have a number that fit. Old habits die hard.

I was a little peeved that UVa and Sallie mae did not let me budget for lost croakies or blisters from wearing sperry's with no socks.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:11 pm

I don't even know what most of those words are.

transferquest

Postby transferquest » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:15 pm

Tetracycline: Common treatment for bacterial-born sexually transmitted diseases.

Paper Bag: used when your "H Bomb" opens legs of chalky-colored turtlenecked BU undergrad. Placed over head. Multiple bags may be required if user of "H Bomb" is also chalky-colored ball of flab.

Croakies: attached to sunglasses, made of neoprene. Usually worn with sunglasses around back of neck and croaky strap around front of pink polo shirt with seersucker shorts.

Sperrys: brown loafers.

transferquest

Postby transferquest » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:17 pm

LOL. I seriously hope you guys arent taking what I say with 100 percent legitimacy. I may have gone to prep school in the south and played college lacrosse, but my frontal lobe still works. I would have loved to attend Harvard. That said, I am very happy to be attending Virginia and given my desire to practice south of Wilmington, DE it is a very strong fit. Congratulations on your good work.

lawyerkobe

Postby lawyerkobe » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:18 pm

Hey look. I found my poll from last year. I remembered making it, but didn't remember the username I had made for it. But here it is:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=117197&view=viewpoll

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:08 pm

lawyerkobe wrote:Hey look. I found my poll from last year. I remembered making it, but didn't remember the username I had made for it. But here it is:

So what kind of softie major did you have?

lawyerkobe

Postby lawyerkobe » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:11 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:
lawyerkobe wrote:Hey look. I found my poll from last year. I remembered making it, but didn't remember the username I had made for it. But here it is:

So what kind of softie major did you have?

Not telling.
But I guess we could wonder now if I was correct to take NU. After all, if I had done GW, I could be transferring now with minimal debt, since they offered me 45 the first year.
I still think I was correct. I didn't know I was going to be good at issue spotters. Heck, I don't even think I knew that law school exams were issue spotters.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:33 am

What did you decide?

lawyerkobe

Postby lawyerkobe » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:46 pm

Lieut Kaffee wrote:What did you decide?

I didn't decide. I frankly don't think I can decide.
I deposited at Harvard, which did not require withdrawing from anywhere. And I didn't withdraw.
I told NU that I deposited at Harvard but was still unsure. They gave me until Wednesday at noon.
I should mention, that NU upped my scholarship to 120k, which means they would refund 40k of last years tuition.

So you see, many on this board are probably jealous of me. Well, I can see being jealous of my success, or jealous of my opportunities. But don't be jealous of being me. Being me is not always fun.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:49 pm

lawyerkobe wrote:

I deposited at Harvard, which did not require withdrawing from anywhere. And I didn't withdraw.
I told NU that I deposited at Harvard but was still unsure. They gave me until Wednesday at noon.
I should mention, that NU upped my scholarship to 120k, which means they would refund 40k of last years tuition.

So you see, many on this board are probably jealous of me. Well, I can see being jealous of my success, or jealous of my opportunities. But don't be jealous of being me. Being me is not always fun.

This is a fantastic deal. The main reason I didn't go through the pain of transfer apps is I was convinced this sort of thing didn't happen, though after 2nd semester I wouldn't have been quite as competitive anyway.

lawyerkobe

Postby lawyerkobe » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:53 pm

Lieut Kaffee wrote:
lawyerkobe wrote:

This is a fantastic deal. The main reason I didn't go through the pain of transfer apps is I was convinced this sort of thing didn't happen, though after 2nd semester I wouldn't have been quite as competitive anyway.

Sure. It is a fantastic deal. But I wish I had never even applied. I was happy, sure I didn't have Law Review, but I was on track to get a good job, and I was happy.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:06 pm

lawyerkobe wrote:

lolwut

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:07 pm

There aren't enough Ls or Os in the world to properly respond at this point.

lawyerkobe

Postby lawyerkobe » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:08 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
lawyerkobe wrote:

lolwut

No joking. I just hope it doesn't make a tax liability.
I don't think it does. It is not discharge of indebtedness, since I don't owe them the money, I owe gradplus. So it is a gift.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:17 pm

lawyerkobe wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
lawyerkobe wrote:

lolwut

I don't think it does. It is not discharge of indebtedness, since I don't owe them the money, I owe gradplus. So it is a gift.

Even if I believed that NU would do this, which I don't think I do, if you already had $30k, then they had another $90k to tack on for a total of $120k, there is no reason for them to refund anything; it would just be slightly less than full tuition your last two years.

The math doesn't make sense, the behavior doesn't seem congruous. Flame.

edit: oh, nothing the first year... I still think it's bullshit though. NU won't bend on what you owe them like, ever.
Last edited by IAFG on Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawyerkobe

Postby lawyerkobe » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:19 pm

IAFG wrote:Even if I believed that NU would do this, which I don't think I do, if you already had $30k, then they had another $90k to tack on for a total of $120k, there is no reason for them to refund anything; it would just be slightly less than full tuition your last two years.

The math doesn't make sense, the behavior doesn't seem congruous. Flame.

They originally gave me nothing the first year and 30k for each of the 2d and 3d years. Now they are offering me 120k, as 40k for each of 3 years.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:19 pm

lawyerkobe wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
lawyerkobe wrote:

lolwut

Holy jesus you are a dumb.

I'm actually going to give you an overall rating and a fortune.

Social Intelligence: 3/10
The boundless lack of tact you've exhibited so far would make most assume a 3/10 is generous. But we have to realize that you're a law student, and you're not deviating that far from the mean here, especially given your (ineffective) shroud of anonymity.

Academic Prowess: 8/10
You did very well at law school, but let's face it: There are people who did better at better schools, and even at yours you still missed law review.

Common Sense: 5/10
This situation is relatively unique, so you aren't docked massive points for your confusion.

Overall Score: 5.33 / 10

Fortune: Happiness, you think now, is just a word to you. But to those who seek happiness in immediate action, you see foolishness: Your payoff will be much larger even though it will be down the road. Slowly, however, that road will stretch out into infinity as you break every bone, muscle, and organ in your body chasing the fading light at the end of the tunnel.

You'll realize that you went wrong, but it won't be a sharp revelation. There will be no burst of light from the clouds, but rather an ever increasing sense of regret. Or perhaps not even that strong, because you'll get the brass rings. But as you hold them in your hand, place them on your finger, and thrust them into the air for all to gaze upon, it's not going to play out the way you thought it would in your head. They'll feel hollow and cheap on your hand, and the pleasure you thought they would bring will prove to be ephemeral. By then the pace will be too quick, and you'll be on to the next battle before you have time to realize the war has already been lost.

Like everyone else, you will die alone. As you pass from this earth having squandered your time, you won't even be afflicted with a need to look back. That's not how you work now, it's not how you'll work tomorrow, and it won't be how you work as death's embrace finally takes you. You will live the rest of your life blind to the majority of the world around you, and the total bleakness that is your existence.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:35 pm

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:39 pm

Avatar updated to reflect prophecy.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:42 pm

lawyerkobe wrote: But don't be jealous of being me. Being me is not always fun.

I don't think anyone is jealous of you, Flame McTrollerson.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:43 pm

dresden doll wrote:

I think you needed a y here. Flamey McTrollerson flows better.

lawyerkobe

Postby lawyerkobe » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:44 pm

Lieut Kaffee wrote:
dresden doll wrote:

I think you needed a y here. Flamey McTrollerson flows better.

And McTrollerson is too long.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:07 pm

Lieut Kaffee wrote:
lawyerkobe wrote:

It doesn't happen. 'grats on taking the trollbait.

Return to “Transfers”