Darn you all. I'm going. Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Choose

Stay at NU
20%
Go to H-----D
54%
Go to H--l
26%

Total votes: 94

lawyerkobe

New

Darn you all. I'm going.

Post by lawyerkobe » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:42 pm

Here it is: NU ---> H.

INFO:
GPA- ~3.91 (percentile? better than 10%, probably not 5%, maybe 7?)
No Law Review at NU ("best" secondary journal). Didn't do the write on at HLS.
Have TA position lined up.
Intentions- Start in BigLaw, see what happens. Could do govt. Could do Academia. Could become a ski bum.
Money- Have 30k at NU. Old enough to likely get cash from HLS- we'll see what they say.

Reasons to stay:
1. No gain in BigLaw chances. If anything worse.
2. Have TA position with great professor.
3. Don't have to move.
4. Come on. How likely is Academia anyway. Especially once the NYT finally forces half the schools to close down and there are no more academia jobs.

Reasons to go:
1. I got into Harvard.
2. While Biglaw may work, I think I'll have more choices if it makes me suicidal. At least I'll be able to know I have choices.
3. I don't know where the legal profession is going, but I think I certainly won't lose out by switching. And probably gain. Maybe it makes no difference after 5 years of practice. But maybe there is some difference.
4. What's there to lose? I'll probably get the Biglaw job, and if I don't it'll be because I majorly mess up interviews, so would have happened either way.
5. I don't buy this relationships with professor thing. If I have good relationships now after a year, I'll be fine after next year. And if not, I can do a clerkship after a year of working, and have the same 2 years of relationship when applying.

This is about minimizing chances of regret. If I'm 7 years in and hating it, I might regret not taking Harvard. But if the same happens and I'm still just as stuck, I still don't imagine I'll think I would have been better off staying at NU.
In other words, "why not."

So I reckon I'll go no matter what you all say. This is just for fun. (And if people agree with me I'll feel better and if they don't I'll get all doubty. But don't think I'll withdraw and make space for you- I'd certainly not decide until it was too late for that.)
And we'll make this a poll just for fun.

ndirish2010

Gold

Re: Darn you all. I'm going.

Post by ndirish2010 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:45 pm

Good title, but I would stay.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:56 pm

3.91 is probably within top 5%. 3.97 is top 3% at graduation, and even people with high GPAs go up substantially after 1L. Since you didn't get LR, your shot at court of appeals clerkship is greatly diminished, so one of the key reasons to stay (clerkship chances) seems to be greatly reduced.

That being said, the $30k at NU is that total or per year? If per year, you'd be an idiot to not stay. The extra $60k of debt will mean $800/mo or so more in loan payments. Even in big law, that makes a big difference.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:59 pm

Unless you are gunning for Chicago big law, I doubt transfering will hurt your OCI.

Heartford

Bronze

Post by Heartford » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:39 pm

I'll be honest and admit that if I were you, I'd go. NU is obviously an excellent school with a stellar reputation, and you might be hurting yourself in the short term for the reasons you listed, but if it were me, I would always regret turning down Harvard Law School.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Transferthrowaway

Silver

Post by Transferthrowaway » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:58 pm

*comment about NU's absurd grade inflation/whatevever*

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:00 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:*comment about NU's absurd grade inflation/whatevever*
It doesn't really get going til 2/3L. Then median is like an A-.

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:02 pm

I'm really surprised about how soft NU's curve must be at the top to have that many 3.9+. Georgetown's is much, much tighter.

Does NU give a 4.33 for A+ and give them out fairly liberally, or just give out a lot of As?
Last edited by scribelaw on Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:02 pm

scribelaw wrote:
I'm really surprised about how soft NU's curve must be at the top to have that many 3.9+. Georgetown's is much, much tighter.
3-5% must get an A+ in each class.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:04 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
scribelaw wrote:
Oh, interesting. Most of my classes at GULC didn't give out any A+ and the max was one. And even if you got one, it counted the same as an A for GPA purposes. That must account for the difference.

Transferthrowaway

Silver

Post by Transferthrowaway » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:04 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
scribelaw wrote:
Are you kidding or is that the truth?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:05 pm

Go wherever you get more money. But seriously, there won't be benefits to transfering that are worth starting over. Let go of the 1L prestige mentality; you've won. You have all the brass rings, skads of people at hys would beg to trade places with you. H was better than NU 9 months ago when you had no grades, but it's not true anymore.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:05 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
scribelaw wrote:
Actually I was wrong. It's 3-7%. http://www.law.northwestern.edu/academi ... olicy.html

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawyerkobe

New

Post by lawyerkobe » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:05 pm

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:07 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
scribelaw wrote:
Actually I was wrong. It's 3-7%. http://www.law.northwestern.edu/academi ... olicy.html
I have a hard time believing this is a good grading policy. It just devalues the high GPA, and firms/clerkships are going to look primarily at where you are in the class anyway.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:09 pm

scribelaw wrote:
I have a hard time believing this is a good grading policy. It just devalues the high GPA, and firms/clerkships are going to look primarily at where you are in the class anyway.
I think at worst they figure out how bullshit it is, and figure out how you actually did. So I doubt the big chicago firms, and the top NYC firms are tricked.

But I bet some firms get fooled. If you see a 3.6, it looks good even if it's possibly worse than top third.

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:13 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
scribelaw wrote:
I think at worst they figure out how bullshit it is, and figure out how you actually did. So I doubt the big chicago firms, and the top NYC firms are tricked.

But I bet some firms get fooled. If you see a 3.6, it looks good even if it's possibly worse than top third.
This is a good point. I bet you're right, especially for firms in secondary markets that don't have OCI interviewing programs with the top schools.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Transferthrowaway

Silver

Post by Transferthrowaway » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:22 pm

NU: Everybody gets A+s; UChicago: Nobody gets A+s (186s)

RIGOROUS

Heartford

Bronze

Post by Heartford » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:29 pm

Desert Fox wrote: But I bet some firms get fooled. If you see a 3.6, it looks good even if it's possibly worse than top third.
It sucks that my 3.5 (top 10% at my school, with a 3.0 curve) probably gets stuffed at the bottom of the pile below the 3.6 who's ranked 200th in his class... but I guess that's what I get for not studying harder for the LSAT!

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:32 pm

Heartford wrote:
Desert Fox wrote: But I bet some firms get fooled. If you see a 3.6, it looks good even if it's possibly worse than top third.
It sucks that my 3.5 (top 10% at my school, with a 3.0 curve) probably gets stuffed at the bottom of the pile below the 3.6 who's ranked 200th in his class... but I guess that's what I get for not studying harder for the LSAT!
Yes, that is EXACTLY what NU's curve does and what you deserve.

Heartford

Bronze

Post by Heartford » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:33 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Heartford wrote:
Yes, that is EXACTLY what NU's curve does and what you deserve.
?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:44 pm

scribelaw wrote:

Does NU give a 4.33 for A+ and give them out fairly liberally, or just give out a lot of As?
OP's estimate is a bit high. 3.97 is top 3% at graduation. 3.9 is probably top 5% or better after 1L.

elmagic

New

Post by elmagic » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:52 pm

Do people not grade-on at NU? Seems crazy that a 3.9+ isn't enough to grade on. Anyway, if all you want is biglaw then you should probably stay at NU. If you want other things like clerkships, I'd transfer to Harvard, cause I mean no LR seems like pretty much a killer for really good clerkships. Idk if I was an interviewer and saw a dude with a 3.9+ from NU interviewing at Harvard's EIP I'd be like wtf dude, why did you transfer. So make sure you have a good answer.

lawyerkobe

New

Post by lawyerkobe » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:53 pm

elmagic wrote:Do people not grade-on at NU? Seems crazy that a 3.9+ isn't enough to grade on. Anyway, if all you want is biglaw then you should probably stay at NU. If you want other things like clerkships, I'd transfer to Harvard, cause I mean no LR seems like pretty much a killer for really good clerkships. Idk if I was an interviewer and saw a dude with a 3.9+ from NU interviewing at Harvard's EIP I'd be like wtf dude, why did you transfer. So make sure you have a good answer.
No grade ons.
36 seats. 10 are pure writing. 26 are half writing and half grades. The 26 get filled first.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:57 pm

Depends on what market you're goin for. I get the sense that especially at top NYC firms, Harvard does quite a bit better than NU.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Transfers”