Brooklyn or Rutgers-Newark Law

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawschool249

Brooklyn or Rutgers-Newark Law

Postby lawschool249 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:19 pm

I recently got accepted to both Brooklyn Law and Rutgers-Newark Law as a Transfer Student. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on which one I should attend. I would choose Brooklyn but the main dilemma in my decision is money, as usual. I am a New Jersey resident so therefore I would be able to pay in-state tuition at Rutgers-Newark. If I were to attend Rutgers over Brooklyn, at the end of the day I would save myself upwards of $40,000 of debt. So I guess my main question is....Is Brooklyn Law $40,000 better than Rutgers-Newark or worth that kind of money????

keg411

Re: Brooklyn or Rutgers-Newark Law

Postby keg411 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:41 pm

lawschool249 wrote:I recently got accepted to both Brooklyn Law and Rutgers-Newark Law as a Transfer Student. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on which one I should attend. I would choose Brooklyn but the main dilemma in my decision is money, as usual. I am a New Jersey resident so therefore I would be able to pay in-state tuition at Rutgers-Newark. If I were to attend Rutgers over Brooklyn, at the end of the day I would save myself upwards of $40,000 of debt. So I guess my main question is....Is Brooklyn Law $40,000 better than Rutgers-Newark or worth that kind of money????

No.

boogieboo

Postby boogieboo » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:02 pm

Go to Rutgers

teaadntoast

Postby teaadntoast » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:12 pm

Go to Rutgers. Especially if you plan to practice in New Jersey.

evanmd

Postby evanmd » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:31 am

The difference between Rutgers and Brooklyn is not worth talking about. Rutgers is the easy choice. That is unless you really want to live in NYC during school.

Sandman

Postby Sandman » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:46 pm

I recently got accepted to both Brooklyn Law and Rutgers-Newark Law as a Transfer Student. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on which one I should attend. I would choose Brooklyn but the main dilemma in my decision is money, as usual. I am a New Jersey resident so therefore I would be able to pay in-state tuition at Rutgers-Newark. If I were to attend Rutgers over Brooklyn, at the end of the day I would save myself upwards of $40,000 of debt. So I guess my main question is....Is Brooklyn Law $40,000 better than Rutgers-Newark or worth that kind of money????

If you don't mind me asking, did you get your acceptance in the form of an email or by mail?
What school were you transferring from and what was your overall credentials i.e. Law School GPA, LSAT, UGPA and College
and work experience, if any?

Zazelmaf

Postby Zazelmaf » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:25 pm

How long were you complete at Rutgers before getting a decision? I have been complete about 10 or so days, and have a $500 deposit deadline for another school tomorrow (but would rather take Rutgers).

lawschool249

Postby lawschool249 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:00 pm

Zazelmaf wrote:How long were you complete at Rutgers before getting a decision? I have been complete about 10 or so days, and have a $500 deposit deadline for another school tomorrow (but would rather take Rutgers).

A little more than 2 weeks

Zazelmaf

Postby Zazelmaf » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:27 pm

I was wait listed :( (today).

rising2l

Postby rising2l » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:29 pm

if money is not an issue - brooklyn
if money is an issue - rutgers

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:36 pm

You can't seriously be thinking about transferring into these schools. Only about 10-15% of the students have job propsects as it is, and you're going to be a transfer from presumably a TTT. Think about that.

BostonNJ

Postby BostonNJ » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:18 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:You can't seriously be thinking about transferring into these schools. Only about 10-15% of the students have job propsects as it is, and you're going to be a transfer from presumably a TTT. Think about that.

Rutgers is one of the top schools in its region. Its the state school of NJ, tons of connections, governors, senators, and major law firm partners come out of it. Major NJ players are associated with its two law schools. While you are racking up 6 digit debt, this guy is coming out with less then half. So before you analyze try to understand the context of the situation. LOL good luck as an attorney.

BostonNJ

Postby BostonNJ » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:20 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:You can't seriously be thinking about transferring into these schools. Only about 10-15% of the students have job propsects as it is, and you're going to be a transfer from presumably a TTT. Think about that.

P.S. spelling error on the word prospects.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:40 pm

This is hyperbolic. Top 1/3 is probably safe for some type of private practice and then R-N does a shit ton with clerkships and PI/govt.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:58 pm

BostonNJ wrote:

Rutgers is one of the top schools in its region. Its the state school of NJ, tons of connections, governors, senators, and major law firm partners come out of it. Major NJ players are associated with its two law schools. While you are racking up 6 digit debt, this guy is coming out with less then half. So before you analyze try to understand the context of the situation. LOL good luck as an attorney.

4 governors out of two schools = TONS OF GOVERNORS. the employment opportunities provided to students who graduated 30 years ago is not so relevant to today's grads. But good luck.

Heartford

Postby Heartford » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:07 pm

rising2l wrote:if money is not an issue - brooklyn
if money is an issue - rutgers

imo this is still wrong- I think you're better off picking RU either way. Especially since s/he's a TTTransfer, OP's chances of getting a job in NJ out of Rutgers is probably higher than getting one in NYC (or anywhere, really) from Brooklyn.

OP: Definitely go to Rutgers.

nene

Postby nene » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:28 pm

I don't really understand this logic. Are you saying op's better off not transferring and staying a 3rd tier? Or are you saying that op should be transferring to a higher ranked school? If OP could go to a t14 I'm sure op would, but if op can't, than going to Rutgers is a good decision IMO. Transferring to a 3rd tier to Rutgers, which is a solid school with a good regional reputation and very low tuition, is much better than staying at a 3rd tier. I'm currently enrolled at Rutgers, (hopefully transferring to NYU) and I've had a great experience. I woud recommend it over BK law just b/c it's a much better bang for the buck.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:55 am

nene wrote:

I don't really understand this logic. Are you saying op's better off not transferring and staying a 3rd tier? Or are you saying that op should be transferring to a higher ranked school? If OP could go to a t14 I'm sure op would, but if op can't, than going to Rutgers is a good decision IMO. Transferring to a 3rd tier to Rutgers, which is a solid school with a good regional reputation and very low tuition, is much better than staying at a 3rd tier. I'm currently enrolled at Rutgers, (hopefully transferring to NYU) and I've had a great experience. I woud recommend it over BK law just b/c it's a much better bang for the buck.

Yeah, I'm saying I would stay. If the conventional TLS wisdom has any truth at all, OP would be viewed as a median student at Rutgers. That is not someplace anyone wants to be.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:57 am

ndirish2010 wrote:
nene wrote:

Yeah, I'm saying I would stay. If the conventional TLS wisdom has any truth at all, OP would be viewed as a median student at Rutgers. That is not someplace anyone wants to be.

You aren't viewed as a median student at your new school; you are just viewed as a student with your grades from your old school.

nene

Postby nene » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:04 pm

You mean op would be viewed as a median student for OCI purposes? I heard that's not the case. However if it is the case, chances are almost nil of getting a law firm position, only the top 10% at Rutgers get those.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:15 pm

nene wrote:You mean op would be viewed as a median student for OCI purposes? I heard that's not the case. However if it is the case, chances are almost nil of getting a law firm position, only the top 10% at Rutgers get those.

No. If you don't know what you're talking about, then resist the urge to post.

nene

Postby nene » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:24 am

Last edited by nene on Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:30 am

nene wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
nene wrote:You mean op would be viewed as a median student for OCI purposes? I heard that's not the case. However if it is the case, chances are almost nil of getting a law firm position, only the top 10% at Rutgers get those.

I do know what I'm talking about. Only the top 10% of students of students at Rutgers, if that, get jobs at medium and big firms. However I'm not sure how the firms view the transfer students. I'm not sure why that means I don't know what I'm talking about, or why you felt the need to be rude.

~11% get NLJ250 (just like most similarly situated T2 schools), so you're flat out wrong on that point. Cite some sort of data to back your point that only 10% get law firm jobs from a school that dominates the New Jersey market. I'll say it again, the top 30% at R-N are entirely capable of getting some sort of private firm (small, medium, or big).

nene

Postby nene » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:37 am

beach_terror wrote:
nene wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

I do know what I'm talking about. Only the top 10% of students of students at Rutgers, if that, get jobs at medium and big firms. However I'm not sure how the firms view the transfer students. I'm not sure why that means I don't know what I'm talking about, or why you felt the need to be rude.

~11% get NLJ250, so you're flat out wrong on that point. Cite some sort of data to back your point that only 10% get law firm jobs from a school that dominates the New Jersey market. I'll say it again, the top 30% at R-N are entirely capable of getting some sort of private firm (small, medium, or big).

Ok, so I said 10% at medium and large firms, and being off by 1% means I don't know what I'm talking about? Also, I was really speaking in the context of OCI. Last year 11 people got jobs through OCI at Rutgers-Newark. That's more like 5% of the class. Look, I go to Rutgers and I love it. My advice to OP was to attend Rutgers and not Brooklyn. However the truth is the truth, getting those big law jobs is no cake walk and the market is not what it used to be. Lots of Jersey firms who would take kids from RU and Seton Hall can now hold out for Columbia and NYU kids. Are your #s post 2008?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:52 am

Return to “Transfers”