T20 to Northwestern Transfer?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TransferingQs

T20 to Northwestern Transfer?

Postby TransferingQs » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:51 pm

I finished top ~20% at a T20, wrote-on to Law Review, and was recently accepted to Northwestern. I wouldn't mind practicing in the city of my current school for 2-4 years, but would eventually like to practice in Chicago. I've made good friends at my current school and strong connections with firms, and feel like I have a good chance of landing a 2L SA position from my current school.

I believe Northwestern's curve is higher than my current school's. I worry that during OCI at Northwestern, my GPA will be lower than students of a similar class rank at NU. That combined with me coming from a lower school and the tougher Chicago job market, I may strike out at OCI. I'd also have to write-on to Law Review again which would be painful and probably not successful.

Thoughts? Do any rising 2Ls at Northwestern have the GPA cutoffs for firms at OCI? Is the Chicago legal market really that bad?

Reasons for Staying
- happy here
- Law Review + other extracurriculars
- confident I will get a job for 2L summer
- heard Chicago market is tough, not sure I will get a job from NU's OCI
- wouldn't mind staying in current city for a few years after graduation

Reasons for going to Northwestern
- want to eventually practice in Chicago
- have friends/family near Chicago
- paying sticker at T20
- have work experience, wouldn't mind the older student body

lawgod

Re: T20 to Northwestern Transfer?

Postby lawgod » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:52 pm

Sounds like a stay to me.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:15 am

TransferingQs wrote:I finished top ~20% at a T20, wrote-on to Law Review, and was recently accepted to Northwestern. I wouldn't mind practicing in the city of my current school for 2-4 years, but would eventually like to practice in Chicago. I've made good friends at my current school and strong connections with firms, and feel like I have a good chance of landing a 2L SA position from my current school.

I believe Northwestern's curve is higher than my current school's. I worry that during OCI at Northwestern, my GPA will be lower than students of a similar class rank at NU. That combined with me coming from a lower school and the tougher Chicago job market, I may strike out at OCI. I'd also have to write-on to Law Review again which would be painful and probably not successful.

Thoughts? Do any rising 2Ls at Northwestern have the GPA cutoffs for firms at OCI? Is the Chicago legal market really that bad?

Reasons for Staying
- happy here
- Law Review + other extracurriculars
- confident I will get a job for 2L summer
- heard Chicago market is tough, not sure I will get a job from NU's OCI
- wouldn't mind staying in current city for a few years after graduation

Reasons for going to Northwestern
- want to eventually practice in Chicago
- have friends/family near Chicago
- paying sticker at T20
- have work experience, wouldn't mind the older student body

I'm sure you've heard this before, but have you requested a scholarship from your current school in order to keep you from transferring?

TransferingQs

Postby TransferingQs » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:19 am

bdubs wrote:
I'm sure you've heard this before, but have you requested a scholarship from your current school in order to keep you from transferring?

My school said some funds may open up in the future, but nothing for sure. I took it as a no.

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:23 am

Y'know, the market is kind of rotten. Schools in the NU range are placing about 60% through OCI- not all in Biglaw. Now, 20% at WUSTL is probably equivalent at least to 40% at NU, if not 30%. But still, that's not a done deal.

Return to “Transfers”