Go to Penn or wait for CLS?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Penn, CLS, or T2?

Deposit at Penn, Withdraw from CLS
14
70%
Wait for CLS; go if accepted.
5
25%
Stay at T2 (Maybe try for more $$$)
1
5%
 
Total votes: 20

User avatar
Wholigan
Posts: 763
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:51 pm

Go to Penn or wait for CLS?

Postby Wholigan » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:02 am

Since everyone else is doing a poll, I thought it'd be a fun finish to my transfer cycle. I am top 1-3% at a Philly area T2. Secondary Journal. T2 only costs $13k/year due to scholy. I want to work in Philly. My check is all made out to Penn, but I unfortunately did not get admitted in the first CLS wave. I included staying at the T2 since I don't think it's that far-fetched considering my goals. Please no voting to withdraw from CLS by people who just want less competition for any remaining spots! :)

Cycle so far:

HLS: Rejected
CLS: Complete
Penn: Accepted
Mich: Accepted, Withdrew
NU: Withdrew prior to decision
GULC: Accepted, Withdrew

ETA: $13k/yr only accounts for tuition at current school. Actual debt would be more like $70k at graduation at current scholly rate v. $140-$150k at Penn v. $160-$170k at CLS.

User avatar
Nogameisfair
Posts: 143
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: Go to Penn or wait for CLS?

Postby Nogameisfair » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:10 am

If you want Philly, why leave? If you want the prestige, Penn will give it to you, otherwise stay at your T2 and I'm sure you'll be fine. CLS shouldn't even be an option here...

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Go to Penn or wait for CLS?

Postby keg411 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:44 am

I think for you it's between staying and Penn. If you were on LR, I would say definitely stay, but no LR makes it a much harder decision. Might as well ask to see if you can get more $$$.

Unless you want to work in NYC (which arguably, you can also get from Penn), there really isn't a reason to wait for CLS (unless your wife is the one who wants NYC :lol:).
Last edited by keg411 on Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

ms2010
Posts: 352
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:47 pm

Re: Go to Penn or wait for CLS?

Postby ms2010 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:44 am

I say go with Penn and hopefully I'll be joining you (if I ever hear).

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: Go to Penn or wait for CLS?

Postby kaiser » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:46 am

Can't you just put the deposit down at Penn and wait to hear from CLS, and if you really want to take them up, just eat the deposit fee and switch?

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Go to Penn or wait for CLS?

Postby duckmoney » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:51 am

kaiser wrote:Can't you just put the deposit down at Penn and wait to hear from CLS, and if you really want to take them up, just eat the deposit fee and switch?


This

crazyblink653
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:13 pm

Re: Go to Penn or wait for CLS?

Postby crazyblink653 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:53 am

depends on your career goals..if you want biglaw anywhere besides philly, i say transfer to Penn and withdraw at CLS. frankly, CLS won't provide that much of an advantage over penn in terms of getting employment in NYC, DC or philly.

on the other hand, if you just want phillly biglaw, i'd say your chances staying where you are (i assume either temple, rutgers, or villanova) will be just as good as any prospects you'd have at penn. your class rank at a regional school will at the very least get you interviews. plus you wouldn't have to worry about paying off as much debt (the difference in monthly payments on $70K v. $150k is huge).

ClarDarr
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:26 pm

Re: Go to Penn or wait for CLS?

Postby ClarDarr » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:53 am

Wholigan wrote:Since everyone else is doing a poll, I thought it'd be a fun finish to my transfer cycle. I am top 1-3% at a Philly area T2. Secondary Journal. T2 only costs $13k/year due to scholy. I want to work in Philly. My check is all made out to Penn, but I unfortunately did not get admitted in the first CLS wave. I included staying at the T2 since I don't think it's that far-fetched considering my goals. Please no voting to withdraw from CLS by people who just want less competition for any remaining spots! :)

Cycle so far:

HLS: Rejected
CLS: Complete
Penn: Accepted
Mich: Accepted, Withdrew
NU: Withdrew prior to decision
GULC: Accepted, Withdrew

ETA: $13k/yr only accounts for tuition at current school. Actual debt would be more like $70k at graduation at current scholly rate v. $140-$150k at Penn v. $160-$170k at CLS.


I'm in a similar place, but am having a harder time leaving my current school because of LR and not being exclusively interested in Philadelphia. Your current school has name recognition where you are now with Philly employers, thus when you apply to those same employers, they will likely know and respect your original schools grades, plus you will be at the better UPenn. Whereas for me, my main goal is to get NYC, Philly or my current schools market...in NYC or Philly, the employers will be like "Where the F*** is this old school?" and you wont see that problem. The money sucks, but potentially you will minimize costs because you won't have to go to a new city (which...obviously does not compare to the problem of the 40k+ COA hike you'll take on). In short, if you can stomach the cash, take Penn. Don't even worry about CLS (unless you just really want a decision from them). In Philly, Penn rules.

User avatar
Wholigan
Posts: 763
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:51 pm

Re: Go to Penn or wait for CLS?

Postby Wholigan » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:05 pm

.
Last edited by Wholigan on Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crazyblink653
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:13 pm

Re: Go to Penn or wait for CLS?

Postby crazyblink653 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:29 pm

Wholigan wrote:
kaiser wrote:Can't you just put the deposit down at Penn and wait to hear from CLS, and if you really want to take them up, just eat the deposit fee and switch?


Yes - I decided to put the deposit down. The poll is tracking heavily in favor of the way I was already leaning, but I may not withdraw from CLS just yet. (Sorry to everyone else still waiting for a decision).

crazyblink653 wrote:on the other hand, if you just want phillly biglaw, i'd say your chances staying where you are (i assume either temple, rutgers, or villanova) will be just as good as any prospects you'd have at penn. your class rank at a regional school will at the very least get you interviews. plus you wouldn't have to worry about paying off as much debt (the difference in monthly payments on $70K v. $150k is huge).


Probably true - however (and I should have put this in the OP), I am also very interested in clerking. Not just for prestige, but because I really think I'd like it and it would be a great experience. I am concerned that if Art. III and SSC judges are going to take someone from a T2, they will want someone on the main law review and not just top grades. On the other hand, I don't know how a transfer would be looked at, either.


Art. III clerkships are hard no matter what school/rank..though the one common thread i've heard from art. iii judges is that they all prefer an editorship on their school's primary journal. do you have a chance to write-on to penn's LR? if so, it may be worth it to give it a try..that said, at the very least i think coming from a T10 school definitely reduces your chances of a quick no. still, you'd have to make sure your grades stay up at penn to be competitive.

User avatar
Wholigan
Posts: 763
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:51 pm

Re: Go to Penn or wait for CLS?

Postby Wholigan » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:39 pm

crazyblink653 wrote:Art. III clerkships are hard no matter what school/rank..though the one common thread i've heard from art. iii judges is that they all prefer an editorship on their school's primary journal. do you have a chance to write-on to penn's LR? if so, it may be worth it to give it a try..that said, at the very least i think coming from a T10 school definitely reduces your chances of a quick no. still, you'd have to make sure your grades stay up at penn to be competitive.


Penn does allow transfers a chance to make law review. I am going to give it a try. However I understand that the last two years they took one and two transfers, respectively, out of ~25 total transfers. It's a long shot, but it's higher than the 0% chance of being on a LR if I stay.

While Penn has ~11% Art. III clerkship rate, I imagine most of those are original students who killed it during the first 3-4 semesters.

crazyblink653
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:13 pm

Re: Go to Penn or wait for CLS?

Postby crazyblink653 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:31 pm

Wholigan wrote:
crazyblink653 wrote:Art. III clerkships are hard no matter what school/rank..though the one common thread i've heard from art. iii judges is that they all prefer an editorship on their school's primary journal. do you have a chance to write-on to penn's LR? if so, it may be worth it to give it a try..that said, at the very least i think coming from a T10 school definitely reduces your chances of a quick no. still, you'd have to make sure your grades stay up at penn to be competitive.


Penn does allow transfers a chance to make law review. I am going to give it a try. However I understand that the last two years they took one and two transfers, respectively, out of ~25 total transfers. It's a long shot, but it's higher than the 0% chance of being on a LR if I stay.

While Penn has ~11% Art. III clerkship rate, I imagine most of those are original students who killed it during the first 3-4 semesters.


only 11%? that seem kind of low...nonetheless, an 8% shot at LR is better than 0%. plus, if you kick ass during your 2L year at Penn, plus your good grades at your first school, i don't see why you wouldn't stand a decent shot at a good clerkship.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.