Input on NYU v Fordham (w/ some $)

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
no_more_lurking

Input on NYU v Fordham (w/ some $)

Postby no_more_lurking » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:49 am

I'm deciding between transferring to NYU and staying at Fordham (where I'm on LR and have about a 40% scholarship). In lieu of generating my own opinion, I'm apparently collecting as many other opinions as I can.

I suppose my goal is big law in NYC and then in-house somewhere after a few years, but I'd like to preserve as many other options as possible since I'm not 100% sure where I'll want to end up (in terms of position, not geography... I'm pretty sure I'll want to work in NYC for the foreseeable future).

Input/suggestions/gentle ridicule welcome.

alumniguy

Re: Input on NYU v Fordham (w/ some $)

Postby alumniguy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:07 am

I'd stay with such a generous scholarship from Fordham. You'll most likely have several offers from V10s and since you are aiming for biglaw, I don't think you NYU will help you out that much. It may be nice to have the NYU name on your resume, but for an additional ~40k in expenses, it just doesn't seem worth it.

Had you wanted to clerk, then the decision would be more difficult - likely suggesting you go to NYU. However, if that is not something you desire, then there really is little upside to transferring at this point.

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:33 am

Fordham w/LR and scholarship is just as good as NYU for NYC. Re: portability, of course NYU will have slightly more, but both NYU and Fordham are known as NYC-centric schools (as opposed to Columbia). In short, stay.

no_more_lurking

Postby no_more_lurking » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:03 am

Thank you both for the input!

Anyone else want to weigh in?

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:06 am

no_more_lurking wrote:Thank you both for the input!

You would be best served by eliminating comments from 0L's and speaking to working professionals already in the field. Congrats on your options though!

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:08 am

Fordham.

alumniguy

Postby alumniguy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:11 am

blacklawboss wrote:

You would be best served by eliminating comments from 0L's and speaking to working professionals already in the field. Congrats on your options though!

Who's a 0L? I'm a current biglaw associate that is well acquainted with my firms recruiting department. OP has the grades from Fordham to get her/his foot in the door at practically every firm. Have NYU is not going to increase his odds anywhere (perhaps if s/he did as well at NYU had s/he started there s/he would have the pick of any firm).

Once you start practicing law, your alma mater is pretty much second fiddle to where you are actually working and what experience you have actually obtained.

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:25 am

alumniguy wrote:
blacklawboss wrote:

Who's a 0L? I'm a current biglaw associate that is well acquainted with my firms recruiting department. OP has the grades from Fordham to get her/his foot in the door at practically every firm. Have NYU is not going to increase his odds anywhere (perhaps if s/he did as well at NYU had s/he started there s/he would have the pick of any firm).

Once you start practicing law, your alma mater is pretty much second fiddle to where you are actually working and what experience you have actually obtained.

I wasn't referring to you, was just giving op advice to their overall decision.

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:33 am

blacklawboss wrote:
alumniguy wrote:
blacklawboss wrote:

I wasn't referring to you, was just giving op advice to their overall decision.

Not a 0L either, just a rising 2L who has done considerable research about transferring. You should understand that if you say "Ignore 0Ls and talk to people who actually know" implies that you are calling the previous posters 0Ls.

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:45 pm

blacklawboss wrote:

That means eliminating comments from 0L's and not those who fall outside of the category. Words have power and we read them as they are placed in text, not as we may want them to be

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:48 pm

blacklawboss wrote:
blacklawboss wrote:

That means eliminating comments from 0L's and not those who fall outside of the category. Words have power and we read them as they are placed in text, not as we may want them to be

I myself am a 0L and I didn't give any direct advice to Op on which decision he should make

no_more_lurking

Postby no_more_lurking » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:28 pm

blacklawboss wrote:
I myself am a 0L and I didn't give any direct advice to Op on which decision he should make

But you did advise me to to ignore your advice, risking a tear in the internet. :)

Thanks again for everyone's input. And thoughts from other posters are more than welcome-

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:38 pm

no_more_lurking wrote:
blacklawboss wrote:

But you did advise me to to ignore your advice, risking a tear in the internet. :)

Thanks again for everyone's input. And thoughts from other posters are more than welcome-

lol good luck in your decision you are a great place!

Return to “Transfers”