Columbia 2013

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawschoolgrapedme
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:12 pm

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby lawschoolgrapedme » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:51 am

.
Last edited by lawschoolgrapedme on Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
quiver
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby quiver » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:31 am

lawschoolgrapedme wrote:I too am looking for a roomate. I'm 23, transferring from Indiana. I am from Tennessee. What else could you possibly need to know?

Haha um, sex?

Also, anyone able to get into AdmitNet yet?

Gigaton Punch
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:31 pm

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby Gigaton Punch » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:34 am

My status checker has been completion pending for like three weeks! What is taking so long. Bad sign?

User avatar
Vronsky
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby Vronsky » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:02 pm

Gigaton Punch wrote:My status checker has been completion pending for like three weeks! What is taking so long. Bad sign?

call them to ask. also, please move to the T14 Status Checker thread. This thread is for admits who will attend.

lawstudent1986 wrote:Hey everyone- also just got the email from columbia yesterday and I'm pretty excited. Still deciding whether or not to transfer, though. Has anyone else heard back from NYU? I haven't but am interested to hear what the decision is. Is it an obvious no-brainer to take Columbia over NYU if admitted? At NYU there is at least the chance to do the law review write-on...

I don't think it's an obvious no-brainer either way. I'm also still waiting on NYU, but I'm thinking about withdrawing and just going to Columbia so that I can begin to start planning and know where I'm going. If you are a Public Interest-type, it might be worth waiting on NYU. If you want to work for a firm, both schools are equal with maybe Columbia a little better. The other thing to consider is, do you want to work outside of NY? If so, columbia's degree will travel better. Finally, consider where you want to. The village around NYU is a much cooler place to hang than Wash Heights.

You might want to call NYU today and ask.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby kaiser » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:07 pm

Vronsky wrote:
Gigaton Punch wrote:My status checker has been completion pending for like three weeks! What is taking so long. Bad sign?

call them to ask. also, please move to the T14 Status Checker thread. This thread is for admits who will attend.

lawstudent1986 wrote:Hey everyone- also just got the email from columbia yesterday and I'm pretty excited. Still deciding whether or not to transfer, though. Has anyone else heard back from NYU? I haven't but am interested to hear what the decision is. Is it an obvious no-brainer to take Columbia over NYU if admitted? At NYU there is at least the chance to do the law review write-on...

I don't think it's an obvious no-brainer either way. I'm also still waiting on NYU, but I'm thinking about withdrawing and just going to Columbia so that I can begin to start planning and know where I'm going. If you are a Public Interest-type, it might be worth waiting on NYU. If you want to work for a firm, both schools are equal with maybe Columbia a little better. The other thing to consider is, do you want to work outside of NY? If so, columbia's degree will travel better. Finally, consider where you want to. The village around NYU is a much cooler place to hang than Wash Heights.

You might want to call NYU today and ask.


I've floating the same questions about Columbia and NYU. Seems like they have essentially the same firms coming to OCI, with all the major NY firms there, and many NY offices of non-NY firms. Something like 90 of the Vault 100 firms are represented with a number of non-Vault boutique firms and mid-size firms. So I don't think sheer firm representation is a point of differentiation.

To me, the difference would be down the road of I choose to leave the legal field. There, the Ivy League prestige and name of Columbia seems like it might give a slight edge. But overall, the schools are highly similar, so I can't see it being a no-brainer to pick one over the other.

jstn1104
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:12 am

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby jstn1104 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:56 pm

quiver wrote:Also, anyone able to get into AdmitNet yet?


Nope. The IT dept is trying to help me but it's still not working.

smiley
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby smiley » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:43 pm

hiya people. can anyone explain the massive discrepancy between the website's list of employers at EIP and symplicity's? the website lists almost 300 firms, including ropes, wilmerhale, watchell, etc. symplicity only lists 100, with none of those. some of my favorites are on one list but not the other. what am i missing?

lawschoolgrapedme
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:12 pm

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby lawschoolgrapedme » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:33 pm

quiver wrote:
lawschoolgrapedme wrote:I too am looking for a roomate. I'm 23, transferring from Indiana. I am from Tennessee. What else could you possibly need to know?

Haha um, sex?

Also, anyone able to get into AdmitNet yet?


I figured that since I was posting in a forum it is pretty obvious I am a guy

wiglaf1228
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:05 am

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby wiglaf1228 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:12 am

Edit!
Last edited by wiglaf1228 on Thu May 03, 2012 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jstn1104
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:12 am

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby jstn1104 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:46 am

smiley wrote:hiya people. can anyone explain the massive discrepancy between the website's list of employers at EIP and symplicity's? the website lists almost 300 firms, including ropes, wilmerhale, watchell, etc. symplicity only lists 100, with none of those. some of my favorites are on one list but not the other. what am i missing?


Yeah, I'm confused about this also. I'm asking my friend here who transferred there last year to see what the deal is.

User avatar
quiver
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby quiver » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:16 am

jstn1104 wrote:
smiley wrote:hiya people. can anyone explain the massive discrepancy between the website's list of employers at EIP and symplicity's? the website lists almost 300 firms, including ropes, wilmerhale, watchell, etc. symplicity only lists 100, with none of those. some of my favorites are on one list but not the other. what am i missing?


Yeah, I'm confused about this also. I'm asking my friend here who transferred there last year to see what the deal is.

Yeah I'd like to know as well. I was thinking of calling or emailing on monday.

smiley
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby smiley » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:03 pm

quiver wrote:
jstn1104 wrote:
smiley wrote:hiya people. can anyone explain the massive discrepancy between the website's list of employers at EIP and symplicity's? the website lists almost 300 firms, including ropes, wilmerhale, watchell, etc. symplicity only lists 100, with none of those. some of my favorites are on one list but not the other. what am i missing?


Yeah, I'm confused about this also. I'm asking my friend here who transferred there last year to see what the deal is.

Yeah I'd like to know as well. I was thinking of calling or emailing on monday.


i'll probably call too, i have an appointment with a careers advisor anyway. i'm a little freaked, but if we can't bid on those firms because we're transfers, that's majorly misleading on their part. then again, the "transfer data" they sent us from last year has transfer numbers for those firms.

jstn1104
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:12 am

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby jstn1104 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:57 pm

smiley wrote:
quiver wrote:
jstn1104 wrote:
smiley wrote:hiya people. can anyone explain the massive discrepancy between the website's list of employers at EIP and symplicity's? the website lists almost 300 firms, including ropes, wilmerhale, watchell, etc. symplicity only lists 100, with none of those. some of my favorites are on one list but not the other. what am i missing?


Yeah, I'm confused about this also. I'm asking my friend here who transferred there last year to see what the deal is.

Yeah I'd like to know as well. I was thinking of calling or emailing on monday.


i'll probably call too, i have an appointment with a careers advisor anyway. i'm a little freaked, but if we can't bid on those firms because we're transfers, that's majorly misleading on their part. then again, the "transfer data" they sent us from last year has transfer numbers for those firms.


I seriously doubt they would prevent transfers from bidding on certain firms. I'm guessing it's either a mistake, we're not looking in the right place, or those firms aren't participating in OCI this year. I'd be really surprised if that was the case though, a lot of those firms made a number of offers to Columbia students last year.

smiley
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby smiley » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:16 pm

yeah, no way ropes new york isn't at columbia oci. we must be doing something wrong :P

lawstudent1986
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:25 am

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby lawstudent1986 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:21 pm

This is probably a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the list of firms that are coming to campus for EIP. I'm guessing it's because I haven't put down my deposit yet? Were you guys only able to view that stuff after you paid the deposit?

User avatar
quiver
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby quiver » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:28 pm

lawstudent1986 wrote:This is probably a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the list of firms that are coming to campus for EIP. I'm guessing it's because I haven't put down my deposit yet? Were you guys only able to view that stuff after you paid the deposit?

Yup.

Anyone else notice that the symplicity list suddenly expanded to 283? That's more like it.

jstn1104
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:12 am

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby jstn1104 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:38 pm

quiver wrote:
lawstudent1986 wrote:This is probably a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the list of firms that are coming to campus for EIP. I'm guessing it's because I haven't put down my deposit yet? Were you guys only able to view that stuff after you paid the deposit?

Yup.

Anyone else notice that the symplicity list suddenly expanded to 283? That's more like it.


Sweet!

It is NOT easy to narrow this list down to 30.

User avatar
Vronsky
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby Vronsky » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:51 pm

I just paid the deposit so I'm officially going! Still in disbelief.... very excited to get things going with orientation, OCI, and oh yeah, classes! Can't wait to meet everyone August 8th.

btw, how did you guys get on symplicity? so far i only have the username/pw for orientation.

User avatar
quiver
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby quiver » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:35 pm

Vronsky wrote:btw, how did you guys get on symplicity? so far i only have the username/pw for orientation.
Now that you deposited they'll send you the login information in a day or two

AugustaMasters
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby AugustaMasters » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:48 am

Hey all -

Also need housing...... 23 year old male here. Has anyone made a facebook group yet?

lawstudent1986
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:25 am

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby lawstudent1986 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:57 am

Does anyone know if EIP bids must be submitted along with individual cover letters for each firm? I know schools differ on this. Just trying to figure out how much time I need to budget for this at this point...

jstn1104
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:12 am

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby jstn1104 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:59 am

lawstudent1986 wrote:Does anyone know if EIP bids must be submitted along with individual cover letters for each firm? I know schools differ on this. Just trying to figure out how much time I need to budget for this at this point...


I haven't heard anything about cover letters, so probably not.

User avatar
Vronsky
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby Vronsky » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:11 am

hey everyone, I had a phone conversation with someone from OCS yesterday, and she was very helpful! Completely re-did my resume in the "Columbia" format, and provided very helpful information on creating a bid list as a transfer student. I won't repeat much, but would encourage everyone to schedule your appointment with OCS ASAP!

Columbia OCS + thesealocust's guide to OCI = EIP winning!

lawstudent1986
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:25 am

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby lawstudent1986 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:21 am

Vronsky wrote:hey everyone, I had a phone conversation with someone from OCS yesterday, and she was very helpful! Completely re-did my resume in the "Columbia" format, and provided very helpful information on creating a bid list as a transfer student. I won't repeat much, but would encourage everyone to schedule your appointment with OCS ASAP!

Columbia OCS + thesealocust's guide to OCI = EIP winning!


Me too. Very helpful. I'd also like to throw my hat in the ring for housing/roommate options. Put in an application for Columbia housing but not too optimistic. I'm 24, female. Has anyone started the apartment hunt yet?

User avatar
Vronsky
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: Columbia 2013

Postby Vronsky » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:55 am

lawstudent1986 wrote:
Vronsky wrote:hey everyone, I had a phone conversation with someone from OCS yesterday, and she was very helpful! Completely re-did my resume in the "Columbia" format, and provided very helpful information on creating a bid list as a transfer student. I won't repeat much, but would encourage everyone to schedule your appointment with OCS ASAP!

Columbia OCS + thesealocust's guide to OCI = EIP winning!


Me too. Very helpful. I'd also like to throw my hat in the ring for housing/roommate options. Put in an application for Columbia housing but not too optimistic. I'm 24, female. Has anyone started the apartment hunt yet?


do you know if the housing application is binding if you are accepted in, say, a crappy 4 BR shared suite? From looking at the prices of studios in the two main LS buildings, the prices aren't very competitive. Decent studios b/t 86th and 116th are a bit cheaper (of course some utilities are included).

i've been looking at ads on craigslist for 2 BRs to split with a friend of mine, and the price range we are looking it is $2000-$2400. In general, farther south (near 86th) = crappier the amenities, whereas farther north (110th and up) = much nicer amenities. of course that's an inverse correlation to the desirability of the neighborhoods. so you have to choose - do you prefer to feel safe walking at night? or a gas range and granite counter top? lol




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.