TT transfer to T6?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Transfer or Stay?

Stay at NYC-area T2, top 1% with LR and $30k annual scholly?
15%
Transfers to Columbia?
80%
Wait on NYU?
5%

Total votes: 41

Vronsky

TT transfer to T6?

Postby Vronsky » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Well I have been waiting for a long time to make my own poll, so I'll finally do it even though it seems fairly obvious now.

Background: currently attending a NYC-area T2 school (Seton Hall/Hofstra/St. Johns/Rutgers/NYLS), in top 1% of class with LR and $30K per year in scholarship. Have spoken with the dean about increasing to full scholarship, but no word yet.

Was accepted by GULC in late June, rejected by UVA and Harvard, and now accepted at Columbia. Gambled and won by passing on the GULC deposit deadline. Withdrew from Penn and still under review on NYU.

My goal is NYC big law, but I'm also concerned about debt. Don't have any UG debt, and also have some help from family. Thus, assuming my scholarship at T2 is NOT increased to full, my debt loads will look like this: $50,000 at T2, $125,000 at Columbia. the difference in monthly payments for a 10 year repayment plan is about $500 vs. $1,600. (In real life impact, this means the difference between a $2500 manhattan apartment vs. a $3500 killer studio).

Given that I have a pretty decent shot at either #1 in class or EIC in law review, is there anyone out there who would NOT transfer? Also, my school is in the greater NYC area, so I *should* be able to land a V50 gig thru OCI or targeted mailing.

Part of me thinks that given the financials, my current T2 location and class rank, it wouldn't be crazy to stay. Of course, i don't love my current school, and part of me wants to transfer just to be at a top school and compete with the best.
Last edited by Vronsky on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vronsky

Re: TT transfer to T6?

Postby Vronsky » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:50 pm

cmon.... two votes? gimme some of that poll-action.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:54 pm

Transfer to Columbia

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:34 pm

patrickd139 wrote:Transfer to Columbia

i WANT to transfer, but the debt/job thing is making me think twice. If I could know for certain that I have an SA at, say, Ropes & Gray, should I still transfer?

ndirish2014

Postby ndirish2014 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:42 pm

To owe 'only' $125,0000 out of Columbia is amazing. Transfer to Columbia and don't look back.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:46 pm

Transfer. Listen, employers will see that you excelled at your prior school. That is your floor of employability. Xfer to Columbia and you get at least two boosts. 1. Employers might be more willing to hire you due to name recognition. 2. There are probably a lot more firms at CLS's OCI than your current school.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:10 pm

Vronsky wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:Transfer to Columbia

i WANT to transfer, but the debt/job thing is making me think twice. If I could know for certain that I have an SA at, say, Ropes & Gray, should I still transfer?

Nothing is for certain. But I agree with the poster above that $75k opportunity cost for something that will (likely) land you a minimum of $160k for the rest of your career is a pretty good deal.

Return to “Transfers”