Transfer Down to reset GPA?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous123

Transfer Down to reset GPA?

Postby Anonymous123 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:28 pm

I am wondering if it is worth it to transfer down if you did poorly (2.6gpa), didnt keep scholarship, and want to move back home to a regional and cheaper school? Transfer is from a top 50 to a top 100. If it helps I already secured an internship (unpaid) in the region I'd transfer to.

Pros: reset gpa, region you want to work, cheaper col, chance to write on to law review.
cons: less prestige at new school, loss of professor relationships

Please fill me in on whether this is a good or bad idea. Thanks.

t3hevildonut

Re: Transfer Down to reset GPA?

Postby t3hevildonut » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:41 pm

Last edited by t3hevildonut on Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bmic

Postby bmic » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:16 pm

I'm not sure what school you went to or the one you want to go to, but are they near each other? If you want to end up practicing where the new school is and the current school is far away it might be worth it. Does the place you want to end up in have a lot of (better ranked) law schools in the area? aka would you be competing against a lot of people from better schools? But like someone said, there's no guarantee that you'll do significantly better next year.

And when you said you secured an unpaid internship, do you mean for this summer or next summer? Because prospective employers for next semester are going to see your 1L GPA regardless of whether you transfer.

lawfuture10

Postby lawfuture10 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:48 pm

Anonymous123 wrote:I am wondering if it is worth it to transfer down if you did poorly (2.6gpa), didnt keep scholarship, and want to move back home to a regional and cheaper school? Transfer is from a top 50 to a top 100. If it helps I already secured an internship (unpaid) in the region I'd transfer to.

Pros: reset gpa, region you want to work, cheaper col, chance to write on to law review.
cons: less prestige at new school, loss of professor relationships

Please fill me in on whether this is a good or bad idea. Thanks.

This is a hilariously awesome idea.

Let us know if that works out -- I would think your motive would be pretty transparent to employers.. but who knows. Have a good backstory. Its gonna be hard to reconcile in an interview why you went from T1 --> Low T2 without a solid connection in the new location

Anonymous123

Postby Anonymous123 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:25 am

The school I am at currently is on one coast and the school i'd transfer to is on the other. As for competitive markets, the school I'd transfer to has less competition.

I am concerned that firms will think I transfered because I performed poorly and this will be evidenced by my 1l transcript. Am I better off sticking it out at the current school in an attempt to fix the gpa and then apply for jobs across country?

Thanks

VinceIrons

Postby VinceIrons » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:25 am

Anonymous123 wrote:I am concerned that firms will think I transfered because I performed poorly and this will be evidenced by my 1l transcript. Am I better off sticking it out at the current school in an attempt to fix the gpa and then apply for jobs across country?

Yeah, unless there's some incredibly convincing reason why you'd want to be at that lower tier school, it's going to be pretty obvious. There's also no guarantee you'll do better at the new school during the next two years either. "Resetting" your GPA might seem attractive, but what if you end up with a similar GPA at an even lower ranked school? Being able to take another shot at LR also seems nice, but are you sure the new school allows for a separate transfer competition? You also have obviously been able to land an internship in your desired market, so I imagine with some networking and all that you could still find a 2L job there. You ought to talk with your career office to see what they might be able to do to help you find a job in your home market. Also consider contacting firms in the area yourself to see how they would feel about the transfer down.

Lastly, you might want to seriously ask yourself if Law is the right career for you. While going to a cheaper school might not be a terribly awful idea, not paying for two more years of school is the even cheaper option. I've no real data to back this assumption, but I assume it's going to be tough finding any gainful legal employment with a 2.6. Not impossible, though you might need to consider what you can make v. what you're going to take on in debt.

Cestjustemoi

Postby Cestjustemoi » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:35 pm

Honestly, grades are the silliest things ever. The concept that you will absolutely not be able to find employment with a 2.6 is insane. You should transfer if you are unhappy with your current school and there is no difference in price to do so. As far as resetting your GPA, once again it's probably going tobe irrelevant since most top employers look at rank and you won't increase in rank compared to your peers, at least you wouldn't in my school do to the number of qualities points obtained.

Return to “Transfers”