d

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Where should i go?

Stay at fordham
14
58%
Go to Cornell
10
42%
 
Total votes: 24

Gigaton Punch
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:31 pm

d

Postby Gigaton Punch » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:34 pm

d
Last edited by Gigaton Punch on Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

m1234
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Stay at Fordham or transfer to Cornell?

Postby m1234 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:32 am

The NYC legal community is way overpopulated. You have great numbers and decent shot to get a big firm job. But without any scholarship I would say go to Cornell. Much better school and a "nationally" recognized one; whereas Fordham is more regionally known (and in a region competing directly with NYU, Columbia)

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Stay at Fordham or transfer to Cornell?

Postby keg411 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:13 am

m1234 wrote:The NYC legal community is way overpopulated. You have great numbers and decent shot to get a big firm job. But without any scholarship I would say go to Cornell. Much better school and a "nationally" recognized one; whereas Fordham is more regionally known (and in a region competing directly with NYU, Columbia)


You sound like a 0L. OP already has amazing grades at Fordham and will also be competing with NYU/CLS as a Cornell person. Law Review is also a pretty big deal. OP also has a pretty good shot at getting one of Columbia/NYU.

OP - the real question is: what does your loan/scholarship situation look like?

User avatar
Stonewall
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:19 am

Re: Stay at Fordham or transfer to Cornell?

Postby Stonewall » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:49 am

Peace out brah. Cornell is higher in the rankings, what else do you need to consider

$$$$$$
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:08 pm

Re: Stay at Fordham or transfer to Cornell?

Postby $$$$$$ » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:58 am

Going to Cornell could be a huge mistake. You are on Law Review at a huge NYC Feeder School. If you want NYC Biglaw, you are set if you aren't socially retarded. Also, Fordham + LR carries well elsewhere, not doors are really closed to you just because you didn't go to cornell.

User avatar
blacklawboss
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:22 pm

Re: Stay at Fordham or transfer to Cornell?

Postby blacklawboss » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:18 am

$$$$$$ wrote:Going to Cornell could be a huge mistake. You are on Law Review at a huge NYC Feeder School. If you want NYC Biglaw, you are set if you aren't socially retarded. Also, Fordham + LR carries well elsewhere, not doors are really closed to you just because you didn't go to cornell.


+1 this one ^

Gigaton Punch
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:31 pm

Re: Stay at Fordham or transfer to Cornell?

Postby Gigaton Punch » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:27 am

I understand that I will not be opening any new doors by going to Cornell but I won't be closing any doors either right?
Also wouldn't I be competitive at the same firms at Cornell as from fordham?

mighttransfer
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: Stay at Fordham or transfer to Cornell?

Postby mighttransfer » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:45 am

In your case, transferring to Cornell would be a huge mistake. While obtaining NYC biglaw from Fordham is not easy, you have sufficiently distinguished yourself such that you will likely have excellent biglaw prospects. I disagree that you "won't be closing any doors" by transferring to Cornell. For example, your academic achievements at Fordham place you in a solid position to obtain a clerkship, which might not be the case at Cornell where you have no GPA and no guaranteed journal membership. At bottom, you will lose the following that are ideal getting NYC biglaw: (1) an excellent 1L GPA/high class rank at a well-respected school in your goal market; (2) a prestigious law review membership; and (3) any faculty relationships that you fostered at Fordham. I advise that you remain at Fordham.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Stay at Fordham or transfer to Cornell?

Postby keg411 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:06 am

mighttransfer wrote:In your case, transferring to Cornell would be a huge mistake. While obtaining NYC biglaw from Fordham is not easy, you have sufficiently distinguished yourself such that you will likely have excellent biglaw prospects. I disagree that you "won't be closing any doors" by transferring to Cornell. For example, your academic achievements at Fordham place you in a solid position to obtain a clerkship, which might not be the case at Cornell where you have no GPA and no guaranteed journal membership. At bottom, you will lose the following that are ideal getting NYC biglaw: (1) an excellent 1L GPA/high class rank at a well-respected school in your goal market; (2) a prestigious law review membership; and (3) any faculty relationships that you fostered at Fordham. I advise that you remain at Fordham.


OP isn't going to lose (1) by going to Cornell. OCI employers will still look at OP as top 5% at Fordham. (2) and (3) definitely make a difference, however.

If OP did not make LR, I would say transfer. That said, I know someone who was top 5% at Fordham who transferred to Columbia and didn't regret it at all (she disliked Fordham). But Columbia is a totally different story than Cornell.

User avatar
Vronsky
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: Stay at Fordham or transfer to Cornell?

Postby Vronsky » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:25 am

Fordham + LR is just as good/better than Cornell. Don't transfer; Cornell isn't worth it. Applied to Yale, Harvard, Columbia or NYU? Those would be the only schools worth it for you.

no_more_lurking
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:57 pm

Re: Stay at Fordham or transfer to Cornell?

Postby no_more_lurking » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:31 am

Have you tried to get money from Fordham? I was able to get them to double my scholarship as an incoming 1L. If you are entirely on the fence, maybe even a modest scholarship would help.

Gigaton Punch
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:31 pm

Re: Stay at Fordham or transfer to Cornell?

Postby Gigaton Punch » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:34 pm

no_more_lurking wrote:Have you tried to get money from Fordham? I was able to get them to double my scholarship as an incoming 1L. If you are entirely on the fence, maybe even a modest scholarship would help.

who did you ask and how did you go about bringing it up?

m1234
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Stay at Fordham or transfer to Cornell?

Postby m1234 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:38 pm

keg411 wrote:
m1234 wrote:The NYC legal community is way overpopulated. You have great numbers and decent shot to get a big firm job. But without any scholarship I would say go to Cornell. Much better school and a "nationally" recognized one; whereas Fordham is more regionally known (and in a region competing directly with NYU, Columbia)


You sound like a 0L. OP already has amazing grades at Fordham and will also be competing with NYU/CLS as a Cornell person. Law Review is also a pretty big deal. OP also has a pretty good shot at getting one of Columbia/NYU.

OP - the real question is: what does your loan/scholarship situation look like?


So you know...I am not a 0L. Just offering my advice; it can be taken or not.


*Clarification on my original post: You have great grades and opportunities at Fordham that give you a good shot at big law in NYC. But the NYC market is hypercompetitive, so it is very rarely a given someone will get one of those positions. Cornell would give you more mobility to get BigLaw in cities other than NYC (not sure what location you want). But you would have to risk giving up the cushion your 1L grades and Law Review status will give you. Difficult decision.

no_more_lurking
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:57 pm

Re: Stay at Fordham or transfer to Cornell?

Postby no_more_lurking » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:58 pm

Gigaton Punch wrote:
no_more_lurking wrote:Have you tried to get money from Fordham? I was able to get them to double my scholarship as an incoming 1L. If you are entirely on the fence, maybe even a modest scholarship would help.

who did you ask and how did you go about bringing it up?


I had met one of the financial aid officers at accepted student day, so I emailed her directly. I'd suggest you email the general financial aid address... they've been very responsive when I've had questions the last few weeks.

My approach was to email and request a phone meeting. In my email, I briefly laid out my case for a merit scholarship. They didn't bite on speaking over the phone, but said they would review my file and email me about it. They were very professional about the whole thing and got back to me next day. Good luck!

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Stay at Fordham or transfer to Cornell?

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:03 pm

If awarded a scholarship from Fordham, then the easy answer is to stay; if not awarded a scholarship from Fordham & you want NYC biglaw, then the tough choice is to stay, but expect to experience buyer's remorse.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.