Where should I transfer? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Where should I transfer

University of Florida (in-state tuition)
91%
University of Connecticut
9%
Stay at T4 with 50% Scholarship and LR
No votes

Total votes: 22

HebrewHammer

New

Where should I transfer?

Post by HebrewHammer » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:28 pm

Hello TLS world,

After a year and a half of reading posts on this site, I'm finally taking the plunge. I currently attend a TTTT in New England where I finished in the top 10% of my class and made law review. Now, I'm in at UConn and the University of Florida and I don't know what to do. I was born and raised in Florida and know it carries well in the state. Plus, I would get in-state tuition. On the other hand, I do have some pretty significant connections in CT but not a guaranteed job after law school. Likely I could get a decent job as a clerk during 2L year.

Long story short, not totally sure where I want to practice but I'm leaning towards Connecticut. I know where I want to end up impacts my decision significantly, but I was just curious what you all had to say about it.

Thanks!

crazyblink653

Bronze

Re: Where should I transfer?

Post by crazyblink653 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:07 pm

HebrewHammer wrote:Hello TLS world,

After a year and a half of reading posts on this site, I'm finally taking the plunge. I currently attend a TTTT in New England where I finished in the top 10% of my class and made law review. Now, I'm in at UConn and the University of Florida and I don't know what to do. I was born and raised in Florida and know it carries well in the state. Plus, I would get in-state tuition. On the other hand, I do have some pretty significant connections in CT but not a guaranteed job after law school. Likely I could get a decent job as a clerk during 2L year.

Long story short, not totally sure where I want to practice but I'm leaning towards Connecticut. I know where I want to end up impacts my decision significantly, but I was just curious what you all had to say about it.

Thanks!
if you want to practice in FL, you should transfer to U of FL. They do very well placing their grads in the state. Beyond that, I'm afraid I can't be more helpful.

HebrewHammer

New

Post by HebrewHammer » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:38 am

Thanks for the reply Crazy. I'm split down the middle between CT and FL.... Based completely on the schools themselves, does anyone think UF is that much better in terms of resources/stature because of its size?

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:39 am

HebrewHammer wrote:Thanks for the reply Crazy. I'm split down the middle between CT and FL.... Based completely on the schools themselves, does anyone think UF is that much better in terms of resources/stature because of its size?

Depends on the T4 you attend. If it is a T4 in Florida, transfer out. Too many schools/law students to compete with. UF would be the best choice. If you want to practice closer to CT, attend CT. If you don't know where you want to practice pick UF since it is T1 and you get in state tuition.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:59 am

As long as you maintain *any* degree of ambivalence whatsoever regarding location (rephrased: so long as you are the slightest bit interested in practicing in FL), UF is the correct choice.

It is a good law school, well-regarded in the state of FL, and places its graduates into jobs (including a small but reliable number of Biglaw spots at GT and H&K). Also, I suspect that it will be much, much cheaper for you (you should do the math for us in your OP: focus not on tuition costs, but on total indebtedness at graduation).

Of course, if you absolutely know you want CT, then UConn is a decent school itself, and firms in the area will be more familiar with it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HebrewHammer

New

Post by HebrewHammer » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:40 pm

Hey guys,

On the run but my TTTT is in New England. Also, I managed to get in-state at UConn too now so choice just got tougher!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:14 pm

HebrewHammer wrote:Hey guys,

On the run but my TTTT is in New England. Also, I managed to get in-state at UConn too now so choice just got tougher!
Since your TTTT is in New England, I vote UConn. Employers will actually be familiar with your school, whereas in FL they will likely be WTF.

transplantedbuckeye

Bronze

Post by transplantedbuckeye » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:11 pm

keg411 wrote:
HebrewHammer wrote:Hey guys,

Since your TTTT is in New England, I vote UConn. Employers will actually be familiar with your school, whereas in FL they will likely be WTF.
Also, with so many people wanting to work in New England, if you decide that is where you want to work and you transferred to Florida, good luck getting an interview and then if you do explaining that decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”