NYU w/LR --> H/Y?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: NYU w/LR --> H/Y?

Postby 98234872348 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:58 pm

/
Last edited by 98234872348 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: NYU w/LR --> H/Y?

Postby BruceWayne » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:18 pm

mistergoft wrote:Asking law students on a law school board about how non-law employers view LR+NYU as opposed to H/Y non-LR.

Yes, this is a successful endeavor.


In fairness I didn't notice that that was the question (and I assume many others missed it too). If that's the case then things change dramatically--it's Harvard hands down.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: NYU w/LR --> H/Y?

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:50 pm

mistergoft wrote:
cosmopolitan wrote:I know there's already been a lot of talk about this type of thing, but I'm at NYU and made LR and applied to transfer to H (admitted) and Y (nothing yet). I'm working as a SA at a V10 firm.

The only conceivable reason why I'd even consider transferring in this situation is that I may be interested in non-legal jobs down the line and am wondering if H or Y would help me out more in that situation.

What do people think?

Asking law students on a law school board about how non-law employers view LR+NYU as opposed to H/Y non-LR.

Yes, this is a successful endeavor.

That's not quite what he asked, though. He was asking whether transferring is a good idea given that he may have some interest someday in non-legal employment. Few people on this forum know specifically how that will go, but I can say pretty confidently that a vague someday interest in something isn't enough to warrant giving up LR at a T6 and going through the burden of moving and starting over, at least not at H. He also framed it as the only conceivable reason he'd even consider transferring, which sounds more like reaching for a justification than actually having one.

People here are qualified to give advice on that, and say that if you're having to reach for reasons to transfer, it probably means you shouldn't do it.

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: NYU w/LR --> H/Y?

Postby sunynp » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:55 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
cosmopolitan wrote:I know there's already been a lot of talk about this type of thing, but I'm at NYU and made LR and applied to transfer to H (admitted) and Y (nothing yet). I'm working as a SA at a V10 firm.

The only conceivable reason why I'd even consider transferring in this situation is that I may be interested in non-legal jobs down the line and am wondering if H or Y would help me out more in that situation.

What do people think?

Asking law students on a law school board about how non-law employers view LR+NYU as opposed to H/Y non-LR.

Yes, this is a successful endeavor.

That's not quite what he asked, though. He was asking whether transferring is a good idea given that he may have some interest someday in non-legal employment. Few people on this forum know specifically how that will go, but I can say pretty confidently that a vague someday interest in something isn't enough to warrant giving up LR at a T6 and going through the burden of moving and starting over, at least not at H. He also framed it as the only conceivable reason he'd even consider transferring, which sounds more like reaching for a justification than actually having one.

People here are qualified to give advice on that, and say that if you're having to reach for reasons to transfer, it probably means you shouldn't do it.



Doesn't OP just want to go to law school at Harvard? Possibly OP applied and was denied last year? OP wants to be able to say he went to Harvard the rest of his life. At this point, I think only OP can answer whether it is worth it.

hopefullaw27
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: NYU w/LR --> H/Y?

Postby hopefullaw27 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:56 pm

.
Last edited by hopefullaw27 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: NYU w/LR --> H/Y?

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:03 pm

hopefullaw27 wrote:NYU non-LR accepted as a transfer to H. Making the same decision OP, with the interest in potentially going into a non-legal career down the road. I've talked to a bunch of attorneys and law students and most are either equivocal or against transferring. If i had gotten LR, it would've been an easy decision. Little less now, but I'm still leaning towards staying. Keep me updated OP, i'd be interested in what you decide as well.


I think here the only factor is your social scene and ability to sell the transfer. People WILL ask why you transferred in interviews, and they will also know that you probably didn't have much directly to gain by making the move, so unless you're a bigger fan of Boston than NYC or something to remove the "obsessed with prestige striver" veneer from your decision you could have issues.

As for social scene, if you didn't feel like you fit at NYU or hate lower/mid-manhattan then maybe a fresh start would be nice? But really, there isn't much on the table to be gained by making this move, so you have to take an honest and hard look at what you have to lose. For the most part, it'd just be different.

The boost HYS places give are for those in the middle of the class (many employers dig deeper) much more than those at the very top (where I assume you have to be to be contemplating a transfer). Additionally, almost all of the benefit comes in the form of entry level hiring. Don't expect to be a good old boy at Harvard to an extent that eclipses what you'd already have on the table coming from NYU.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: NYU w/LR --> H/Y?

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:24 pm

sunynp wrote:At this point, I think only OP can answer whether it is worth it.

Of course he can only decide for himself whether it's worth it. But this thread was started because the OP wanted help figuring that out. Responding to any given opinion with "they can only decide that for themselves" is always, always remarkably stupid when the OP asked for opinions to help them decide.

cosmopolitan
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:58 pm

Re: NYU w/LR --> H/Y?

Postby cosmopolitan » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:34 am

hopefullaw27 wrote:NYU non-LR accepted as a transfer to H. Making the same decision OP, with the interest in potentially going into a non-legal career down the road. I've talked to a bunch of attorneys and law students and most are either equivocal or against transferring. If i had gotten LR, it would've been an easy decision. Little less now, but I'm still leaning towards staying. Keep me updated OP, i'd be interested in what you decide as well.


OP here. I think I'm going to turn down H. I'm not sure what I'd do about Y but that's such a longshot that it's hard to know.

Hopefullaw -- I know your situation is a little different from mine but here are my thoughts: NYU's opportunities are really stellar and the school is becoming more widely recognized over time. And I don't know about you, but I'm really happy there. The people are great and the environment is so far from stressful, and I've heard that that's not true of H. I also love being in NY. What are you thinking?

hopefullaw27
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: NYU w/LR --> H/Y?

Postby hopefullaw27 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:27 pm

.
Last edited by hopefullaw27 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
scribelaw
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: NYU w/LR --> H/Y?

Postby scribelaw » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:36 pm

hopefullaw27 wrote:NYU non-LR accepted as a transfer to H. Making the same decision OP, with the interest in potentially going into a non-legal career down the road. I've talked to a bunch of attorneys and law students and most are either equivocal or against transferring. If i had gotten LR, it would've been an easy decision. Little less now, but I'm still leaning towards staying. Keep me updated OP, i'd be interested in what you decide as well.


What are appellate clerkship odds without law review at NYU?

I'd probably be inclined to go, in your situation.

calyx_of_isis
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:57 pm

Re: NYU w/LR --> H/Y?

Postby calyx_of_isis » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:34 am

NYU non-LR here as well, accepted at Y a few days ago and agonizing over the decision. Committed to public interest and Y's superior loan repayment is pretty compelling, but other than that the only reason to go is the prestige bump. I love NYC but am not super attached to NYU as an institution. Am seriously considering taking the transfer and then commuting from Manhattan to New Haven for class 3-4 times a week. Am I crazy?

OP, for what it's worth I'd stay in your position...

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: NYU w/LR --> H/Y?

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:05 am

calyx_of_isis wrote:NYU non-LR here as well, accepted at Y a few days ago and agonizing over the decision. Committed to public interest and Y's superior loan repayment is pretty compelling, but other than that the only reason to go is the prestige bump. I love NYC but am not super attached to NYU as an institution. Am seriously considering taking the transfer and then commuting from Manhattan to New Haven for class 3-4 times a week. Am I crazy?

OP, for what it's worth I'd stay in your position...

With Yale I don't think there's much of a debate. You're not giving up LR, you have the chance to try out for YLJ, and even students who aren't on law review at Yale are in pretty high demand. Plus, Yale has the best LRAP of any school out there. Besides... you go to Yale to prove you got into Yale.

I do think commuting might be a little crazy. If you don't absolutely have to live in the city, you can move out to New Haven and take the train in on weekends. However, I've heard worse ideas.

cosmopolitan
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:58 pm

Re: NYU w/LR --> H/Y?

Postby cosmopolitan » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:09 pm

OP here. Officially staying at NYU and relieved that this is all over. Good luck to anyone still waiting and thanks, everyone, for the advice.

hopefullaw27
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: NYU w/LR --> H/Y?

Postby hopefullaw27 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:04 pm

.
Last edited by hopefullaw27 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2951
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: NYU w/LR --> H/Y?

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:26 pm

calyx_of_isis wrote:NYU non-LR here as well, accepted at Y a few days ago and agonizing over the decision. Committed to public interest and Y's superior loan repayment is pretty compelling, but other than that the only reason to go is the prestige bump. I love NYC but am not super attached to NYU as an institution. Am seriously considering taking the transfer and then commuting from Manhattan to New Haven for class 3-4 times a week. Am I crazy?

OP, for what it's worth I'd stay in your position...


The answer is ALWAYS Yale. Or almost always.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.