NYU w/LR --> H/Y? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
cosmopolitan

New

NYU w/LR --> H/Y?

Post by cosmopolitan » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:15 am

I know there's already been a lot of talk about this type of thing, but I'm at NYU and made LR and applied to transfer to H (admitted) and Y (nothing yet). I'm working as a SA at a V10 firm.

The only conceivable reason why I'd even consider transferring in this situation is that I may be interested in non-legal jobs down the line and am wondering if H or Y would help me out more in that situation.

What do people think?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: NYU w/LR --> H/Y?

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:17 am

Leaving behind LR at NYU when you don't have a good reason to is just crazy. Why even consider it at this point?

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:22 am

vanwinkle wrote:Leaving behind LR at NYU when you don't have a good reason to is just crazy. Why even consider it at this point?
cosmopolitan wrote:The only conceivable reason why I'd even consider transferring in this situation is that I may be interested in non-legal jobs down the line and am wondering if H or Y would help me out more in that situation.
Interesting.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:27 am

No, brah.

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:29 am

Don't do it. The only way you'd get an improvement is if you made LR at HY. Want to take the chance?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cosmopolitan

New

Post by cosmopolitan » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:08 pm

bhan87 wrote:Don't do it. The only way you'd get an improvement is if you made LR at HY. Want to take the chance?
I didn't try for LR at H, don't know anything about transfers making it on to LR at Y.

D.Wilde

Bronze

Post by D.Wilde » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:12 pm

I concur with the general "don't transfer" motif of this thread. The only reason I'd transfer in your position is if I absolutely despised NYC and/or I had unshakable desperate dreams of academia (and even then, the last one would still be a huge gamble).

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:14 pm

D.Wilde wrote:I concur with the general "don't transfer" motif of this thread. The only reason I'd transfer in your position is if I absolutely despised NYC and/or I had unshakable desperate dreams of academia (and even then, the last one would still be a huge gamble).
I think the OP would have a better shot at academia staying at NYU. By transferring they lose LR and valuable sources of LORs, which means their chances at clerkships will probably go down.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:19 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Leaving behind LR at NYU when you don't have a good reason to is just crazy. Why even consider it at this point?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

D.Wilde

Bronze

Post by D.Wilde » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:22 pm

bhan87 wrote:
D.Wilde wrote:I concur with the general "don't transfer" motif of this thread. The only reason I'd transfer in your position is if I absolutely despised NYC and/or I had unshakable desperate dreams of academia (and even then, the last one would still be a huge gamble).
I think the OP would have a better shot at academia staying at NYU. By transferring they lose LR and valuable sources of LORs, which means their chances at clerkships will probably go down.
Ok, this seems like as good a place as any to have a mini-rant about the "common knowledge" that by transferring you "lose . . . valuable sources of LORs." I don't know where people are getting this from, but nearly every transfer I know has not "lost" any sources of LORs. I know well over a dozen transfers who have easily stayed in touch with some 1L professors through various means and have successfully solicited excellent recommendations from them. Hell, the professors who recommended you for transfer admission clearly have invested themselves already in your sucess and advancement in the legal field, why would they stop now that their first letter was successful? While this "loss" may happen for some, in my experience it is by no means a definite or even the common transfer experience.

Losing LR may hurt a bit, although HLS allows transfers to walk onto any secondary journal, and there are many professors here who are unbelievably supportive about helping to get students' work published.

All of that being said, I still don't think OP should transfer because it's a large risk with only a marginal gain for a very specific field that's a huge gamble anyway.

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:23 pm

off topic to op:

did you do any 0L prep? oh and can i have your outlines? lol congrats.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:25 pm

glitched wrote:off topic to op:

did you do any 0L prep? oh and can i have your outlines? lol congrats.
Hahaha

cosmopolitan

New

Post by cosmopolitan » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:20 pm

This is definitely not my situation. The only non-legal jobs I could see myself pursuing are in diplomacy/international politics. And I love New York.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

D.Wilde

Bronze

Post by D.Wilde » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:44 pm

cosmopolitan wrote:
This is definitely not my situation. The only non-legal jobs I could see myself pursuing are in diplomacy/international politics. And I love New York.
Stay.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:10 pm

Congrats on LR, btw.

cosmopolitan

New

Post by cosmopolitan » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:22 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:Congrats on LR, btw.
Thanks, Stanford4Me! That's nice of you.

Thanks, everyone, for your input. Does no one think I should make a switch? Also, does anyone know what it's like to write on to YLJ as a transfer?

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:25 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

D.Wilde

Bronze

Post by D.Wilde » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:11 pm

cosmopolitan

New

Post by cosmopolitan » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:47 am

OP here -- so can no one think of a good reason to go? I agree that this seems pretty clear. It's just so odd because ... it's H.

D.Wilde

Bronze

Post by D.Wilde » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:26 am

cosmopolitan wrote:OP here -- so can no one think of a good reason to go? I agree that this seems pretty clear. It's just so odd because ... it's H.
That right there is pretty much the only reason to go. H is awesome, transfering has been an unbelievable experience for me, and for the rest of your life anytime most people ask or look up where you went to law school, they will immediately be super-impressed. For some people, that alone is worth the transfer. However, NYU + LR is nothing to scoff at either, and in terms of pure career development prospects, it seems like you'd be giving up something pretty significant (NYU LR) for nothing but a bit more oomph to the "ooh-la-la" factor of your degree.

notanumber

Bronze

Post by notanumber » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:46 am

The only other reason I could conceivably think of to transfer would be money. If NYU isn't giving you any and you're poor or old enough to get a big scholarship then you could save ~60K by moving to a different school. Loan repayment options might also be more compelling elsewhere.

But overall it seems like moving would be a very difficult thing to justify.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:24 pm

D.Wilde wrote:
cosmopolitan wrote:OP here -- so can no one think of a good reason to go? I agree that this seems pretty clear. It's just so odd because ... it's H.
That right there is pretty much the only reason to go. H is awesome, transfering has been an unbelievable experience for me, and for the rest of your life anytime most people ask or look up where you went to law school, they will immediately be super-impressed. For some people, that alone is worth the transfer. However, NYU + LR is nothing to scoff at either, and in terms of pure career development prospects, it seems like you'd be giving up something pretty significant (NYU LR) for nothing but a bit more oomph to the "ooh-la-la" factor of your degree.
Huge +1 to this.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:35 pm

Or, to paraphrase D.Wilde, if you are a person who really, really wants to be able to start sentences with "when I was at Harvard..." you should transfer. Otherwise, not so much.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:38 pm

D.Wilde wrote:
+1

This is why I want an M.D.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:46 pm

Stay. The world in which you thought Harvard was 'better' than NYU was the world where you were applying to law schools and didn't know what grades or accolades you would receive. Your position wipes the floor with wide swaths of the Harvard class, and every real world metric points towards keeping your ass in your seat at NYU.
BruceWayne wrote:
QF agreeing completely with BruceWayne.
Renzo wrote:
Or, to paraphrase D.Wilde, if you are a person who really, really wants to be able to start sentences with "when I was at Harvard..." you should transfer. Otherwise, not so much.
QF Snark.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”