Mich to Boalt Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mtob

New

Mich to Boalt

Post by mtob » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:56 am

I tried to find information on this, but there just isn't much in the way of stats for cross T14 transfers, especially between peer schools.

Long story short, I don't want to be a Michigan anymore. I missed the transfer deadline for this year, but am not opposed to spending a year working or something like that before applying to transfer next year. But I don't want to do that if I'm just going to get rejected. I'm just below the top 20% of graduating GPAs at Mich, which, given that GPAs go up after 1L, makes me imagine I'm above that mark? But maybe not at top 15%?

I assume this is not enough for the top schools, but wonder if it is for Boalt.

traehekat

Gold

Re: Mich to Boalt

Post by traehekat » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:12 am

Mind making a short story a little longer? Why do you want out of Michigan?

reepS

New

Post by reepS » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:39 am

I'm guessing he wants out of Michigan because of its location, in Michigan. Trashing the state, not the school.

mtob

New

Post by mtob » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:48 am

I messages with more details, but primarily for personal reasons.

Thoughts?

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:04 am

I mean I think it's a terrible idea to give up top 20% at Michigan for a peer school in Berkeley. Just suffer through it for 2 more years (long distance, heavier jackets, or whatever your reason for transferring is) and count your lucky chickens that the law school you go to will allow you to get a good job in the Bay Area.

And I'm pretty sure top 20% at Michigan is a lock for Berkeley, I think even top 40% might be.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mtob

New

Post by mtob » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:40 am

One added advantage of te transfer is that I'd like to pursue a clerkship in the future. At michigan it appears I've failed to get on any journal. At Boalt I could attempt to get on law review, and could walk on one of the other journals.

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:48 am

If you want CA, then I would say definitely go for it. If you're aiming for NYC or some other east coast market though, you'd be better off sucking it up for another 2 years.

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:28 pm

mtob wrote:Long story short, I don't want to be a Michigan anymore.
Shocker you didn't make it onto any journals.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:12 am

UCal-Berkeley requires that one be in the top 5% of his/her current law school in order to be considered as a transfer applicant. Although I am not sure whether or not this requirement is strictly adhered to, it might be wise to contact Berkeley admissions before taking any further action.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shastaca

New

Post by shastaca » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:47 am

Transfer admission is competitive. We usually receive more than 200 applications for a small number of places available in the second-year class, and those who are accepted are usually in at least the top 3-5 percent of their classes. http://www.law.berkeley.edu/43.htm

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:55 am

A few years ago (2008) UCal-Berkeley School of Law noted that : "Transfer students must have one year of credit, have attended an ABA approved law school, and be in the top 5% at their home law school." The top 5% requirement may no longer apply as Berkeley's website states: In general, successful transfer applicants usually rank in the top 3%-5% of their class.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:55 am

They probs say that because it's extremely rare for someone to want to transfer from a T10 to another T10...

Top 3-5% is a general rule given where the majority of their students are applying from for transferring. Certainly not a hard and fast rule.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”