Another should I transfer...?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SummerLaw

Another should I transfer...?

Postby SummerLaw » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:35 pm

I'm T6% at a school ranked 35-40 and am in at Vanderbilt. I was a PT student so this will require a bit of catching up credits-wise but since I was also working full time and taking 12 credits, I dont think it will be much more of a burden. Is it worth it to transfer and give up my rank at a school about 25 rankings below vandy? Haven't heard from Law Review yet...but imagine I'll at least make a journal. Not sure where I want to work when I'm done which also complicates the matter. Thanks for any and all advice!

CanadianWolf

Re: Another should I transfer...?

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:38 pm

What is placement like for top 10% students at GMU ? What type of position are you seeking after law school ? Have you compared COA for each law school ?

SummerLaw

Postby SummerLaw » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:44 pm

Placement for top 10% at GMU is solid. Especially in the DC area. As of now, I'm interested in IP work - from what I can tell Vandy has a solid IP program. I think if I stayed at the top of my class I'd get a good offer, but there's always the chance I could fall out // not sure how much the name of the institution matters once you land your first job.

What is COA? Drawing a blank! Thanks for your help!

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:56 pm

I believe that GMU's resident tuition is equal to 50% of Vanderbilt's tuition.

If you make law review, then it may be wiser to remain at GMU.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:57 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:I believe that GMU's resident tuition is equal to 50% of Vanderbilt's tuition.

If you make law review, then it may be wiser to remain at GMU.

I agree with this, especially if you want to practice in/near D.C. Vandy, though a good one, is still a regional school.

SummerLaw

Postby SummerLaw » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:26 pm

unfortunately I dont have resident tuition at GMU but price is still a lot cheaper at sticker... thanks for the advice, I appreciate it!

SummerLaw

Postby SummerLaw » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:29 pm

Alright - interesting turn of events - I didn't make.a.single.journal at my school. This was a major shock considering my entry was decent and I got an A+ in legal writing. Does this change opinions?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:32 pm

More time to devote to improving your class rank at GMU. Can you still write-on law review or other journals at Vanderbilt ?

tww909

Postby tww909 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:32 pm

SummerLaw wrote:Alright - interesting turn of events - I didn't make.a.single.journal at my school. This was a major shock considering my entry was decent and I got an A+ in legal writing. Does this change opinions?

not for me. if you have the qualifications and interest to do IP and have solid grades at GMU you'll be fine journal or not. stick with the cheaper school, you'll get a job.

Return to “Transfers”