American vs. UMD

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

American vs. UMD

Postby mixmasterehd » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:48 pm

Drop some knowledge on me

american: sticker
UMD: out of state sticker

(job placement, quailty of life, quality of education, name recognition etc...)

what would you all choose?

Re: American vs. UMD

Postby jessedvhs » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:57 pm

I'd like to see some feedback on this joint.

Postby Kronk » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:02 pm

Isn't Maryland considerably cheaper? I would go there. The situation is pretty bleak from both schools, but the only real advantage that American has is that it is in D.C. so it has proximity to those jobs. You may have to do a little more legwork at Maryland, but if I understand correctly, it's about 25k a year cheaper than American?

I definitely don't think you want 200k of debt coming out of American.

Postby SpencerPratt » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:04 pm

Since they're similarly ranked and probably similarly priced with no in-state tuition (though I'm still guessing American is higher, but I could be wrong), you probably need to answer

*DC vs. Baltimore? DC is nicer, but much more expensive
*Where do you want to practice?
*What do you want to practice?

I removed my app from American after being accepted to Maryland due to in-state and wanting to practice in Maryland. I assume American has a bigger placement in DC, but both would be hard I would imagine.

Return to “Transfers”