UVa vs. NYU? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
acore8604

New

UVa vs. NYU?

Post by acore8604 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:49 am

I'm a student transferring to either UVa or NYU. I transferred to work in Boston, DC and if I can't find anything that pays well in those two cities, NYC. They're both great schools and I know NYU is "better" but housing is 4x more expensive which will be very draining on my resources and I'm not really trying to work in NYC. Thoughts? what should I do?

BruceWayne

Gold

Re: UVa vs. NYU?

Post by BruceWayne » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:58 am

Where are you transferring from? For your preferences I'm not sure it's worth transferring to either school depending on where you are now.

Also NYU isn't really "better". It just depends on what you're trying to do. And for what you're trying to do it isn't better at all. Neither school is really all that great for working in Boston without ties. And with you already knowing that you don't want NYC there really isn't much of a reason to transfer to NYU.

As far as DC is concerned, UVA has a better connection with the firms there than NYU; there are actually some pretty top notch DC firms that don't really hire from NYU but do from UVA. However, most DC firms only want the top students from UVA; thus you will be competing with UVA students at the top of the class to get those spots. Firms will probably look upon them more favorably than transfer students. What school do you attend now? How much scholarship money do you have?

acore8604

New

Post by acore8604 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:04 am

BruceWayne wrote:Where are you transferring from? For your preferences I'm not sure it's worth transferring to either school depending on where you are now.

Also NYU isn't really "better". It just depends on what you're trying to do. And for what you're trying to do it isn't better at all. Neither school is really all that great for working in Boston without ties. And with you already knowing that you don't want NYC there really isn't much of a reason to transfer to NYU.

As far as DC is concerned, UVA has a better connection with the firms there than NYU; there are actually some pretty top notch DC firms that don't really hire from NYU but do from UVA. However, most DC firms only want the top students from UVA; thus you will be competing with UVA students at the top of the class to get those spots. Firms will probably look upon them more favorably than transfer students. What school do you attend now? How much scholarship money do you have?
I attended Wustl which had very very little connections to the east coast cities in particular boston. I finished with a 4.0 so I think I'll be competitive for most of the jobs. I needed to transfer because many people in Boston had never heard of wustl

acore8604

New

Post by acore8604 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:05 am

Oh and as for ties, I've spent 23 out the 24 years I've been alive in Boston and went to a very good undergraduate college in Boston

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:05 am

acore8604 wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:Where are you transferring from? For your preferences I'm not sure it's worth transferring to either school depending on where you are now.

I attended Wustl which had very very little connections to the east coast cities in particular boston. I finished with a 4.0 so I think I'll be competitive for most of the jobs. I needed to transfer because many people in Boston had never heard of wustl

Wow a 4.0 that's unreal. You got a 4.0 and weren't accepted to Harvard as a transfer? Did you apply?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:07 am

If Boston is your focus, then I would definitely say NYU. They seem to have a large amount of Boston firms, and Boston offices of NY firms interviewing there. You already have very significant ties to Boston, so it is not necessary that you transfer into a Boston school per se, but it is important that you pick the transfer school that will give you the most access to Boston firms. That would definitely be NYU.

acore8604

New

Post by acore8604 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:10 am

yea but interestingly enough UVa has far more Boston alumni in great firms than NYU

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:12 am

kaiser wrote:If Boston is your focus, then I would definitely say NYU. They seem to have a large amount of Boston firms, and Boston offices of NY firms interviewing there. You already have very significant ties to Boston, so it is not necessary that you transfer into a Boston school per se, but it is important that you pick the transfer school that will give you the most access to Boston firms. That would definitely be NYU.

NYU has 22 Boston firms coming to their OCI (--LinkRemoved--); UVA has 21 (--LinkRemoved--). I just checked our symplicity OGI site and that's what it says as well.

Personally OP I'm wouldn't give up a 4.0 GPA and law review (especiall since you have very strong ties to Boston) to start off at a new school with a brand new GPA--yeah for Harvard I would for obvious reasons (plus they do that "no grade" thing). But not for schools like NYU and UVA. If you must transfer to one of UVA or NYU I'd go to UVA. MUCH cheaper housing, essentially the same number of Boston firms, but probably considerably lower competition for the Boston firms from UVA (very few UVA students will bid on them).

transplantedbuckeye

Bronze

Post by transplantedbuckeye » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:13 pm

acore8604 wrote:

A 4.0 on a 100 point scale eh? Definitely haven't had the "many people in Boston had never heard of wustl" thing happen working out here this summer. Regardless, either school is better for Boston than WashU.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

acore8604

New

Post by acore8604 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:30 pm

transplantedbuckeye wrote:
acore8604 wrote:

A 4.0 on a 100 point scale eh? Definitely haven't had the "many people in Boston had never heard of wustl" thing happen working out here this summer. Regardless, either school is better for Boston than WashU.
94.8/100 thats a 4.0 converted

transplantedbuckeye

Bronze

Post by transplantedbuckeye » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:03 am

I know, I was just giving you a hard time because of our ridiculous grading system.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”