NEW POLL: Michigan v. Northwestern

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Where to?

Michigan
56%
Northwestern
44%

Total votes: 77

traehekat

Re: NEW POLL: Michigan v. Northwestern

Postby traehekat » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:20 pm

pandacot wrote:Just browsing thread. I'm a UM transfer, did well at OCI because of pre-LS experience, but wouldn't recommend transferring to UM to most.

What is the cost difference between UM and N?

Oh wow, really? You are probably the first UM transfer I've heard say that. Tuition difference is negligible, both are outrageous. NU would probably be 7-9k more a year for living. Total is something like 154k for NU v. 140k for UM.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:00 pm

traehekat wrote:
pandacot wrote:Just browsing thread. I'm a UM transfer, did well at OCI because of pre-LS experience, but wouldn't recommend transferring to UM to most.

What is the cost difference between UM and N?

Oh wow, really? You are probably the first UM transfer I've heard say that. Tuition difference is negligible, both are outrageous. NU would probably be 7-9k more a year for living. Total is something like 154k for NU v. 140k for UM.

+1. The Michigan transfers in the other threads seemed ultra-positive.

I'd be interested in this answer as well (although I'm deciding between Mich and Cornell for NYC/NJ). I have pre-LS WE if that really makes a difference.

mr.undroppable

Postby mr.undroppable » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:16 pm

Dude, you do realize the managing editor of the law review last year at Mich was a transfer student right? Transfer students do well at Michigan.

That said, ignore the ridiculous trolls for both schools. Maybe NU has an edge in Chicago or maybe that is just because a smaller percentage of top students at Michigan want Chicago (not that many top 10% type people hit that market up for OCI and I know several who have turned kirkland chicago down to go to firms in other markets). The data made available isn't great and I'm sure NU could say the exact same thing so don't consider this knocking NU. Jobs will honestly probably be about the same coming out of either school so you should just visit both and go with the whichever one you like better or is cheaper. I wouldn't worry about clerkships since you'll have to end up as a top student at either school to get a good one. Basically the question is would you rather live in Chicago or Ann Arbor for the next two years, which nobody here can answer for you.

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:32 pm

traehekat wrote:I'm comparing the firms that will likely be at both schools, and it looks NU has only slightly fewer NYC firms coming. NU also have A LOT more Chicago firms coming. Michigan only had 17 Chicago firms last year, meanwhile this year NU has about 50 from Chicago. NU's OCI overall just looks much more impressive.

We have 39 coming to Michigan this year.

OP, I think you'll be fine either way. Have you visited? Which feels right?

cojonelso

Postby cojonelso » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:16 pm

traehekat wrote:I'm comparing the firms that will likely be at both schools, and it looks NU has only slightly fewer NYC firms coming. NU also have A LOT more Chicago firms coming. Michigan only had 17 Chicago firms last year, meanwhile this year NU has about 50 from Chicago. NU's OCI overall just looks much more impressive.

The reservations I have about NU are that I just don't know how transfers in particular do there. From what I have heard from Michigan transfers they all tend to do pretty well, even if they don't get their first choice. I'm not sure how big of a deal the clerkship thing is - I figure my chances are low no matter which school I choose, so it shouldn't be a big factor.

cojonelso wrote:First off, Congrats! Both are excellent schools, obviously. You'll have to represent your old school well ;). You can't go wrong with this decision, but I would choose Michigan because: you will have enough biglaw opportunities coming from there, it is generally regarded as a better school, you will have more clerkship opportunities, and will get that solid academic community. Not hating on NU at all, because it's a great school, but the impression I get when I look at Michigan is that Michigan is more of a respected learning community. Those neo-gothic buildings really would be neat to study at for the next two years. That said, NU's campus is pretty awesome as well, and if you're wanting to stay in Chicago, there's something to be said for a good school that's in the city. Two good options, but my vote is for Michigan.

Thanks man! Yeah, that pretty much sums up why Michigan would be a solid choice. Either way I am going to be giving up something, no way around it. Good luck with your transfer apps, have you heard back from anyone yet?

Of course! You'll have to let me know where you end up when you're definitely committed (though it sounds like you're leaning heavily NU). I'm still waiting, only applied to H and Columbia, which I'm sort of regretting now in case I don't get in either, but we should be finding out pretty soon. I'll keep you posted!

Return to “Transfers”