Typos in the application Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
acore8604

New

Typos in the application

Post by acore8604 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:32 am

Does anyone know whether a typo, like failing to fully complete a box or a missing letter, not from the personal statement or resume, but from redundant data in the application completely destroys your chance at admission?

thsmthcrmnl

Bronze

Re: Typos in the application

Post by thsmthcrmnl » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:47 am

Calm down.

Of course your chances aren't completely destroyed.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:49 am

It's over. Do you have enough science classes to take the MCAT?

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:52 am

It's impossible to know unless you know the adcom personally, so nobody can tell you definitively. I would imagine it is not looked on favorably, but that it does not eliminate you completely.

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:57 am

acore8604 wrote:Does anyone know whether a typo, like failing to fully complete a box or a missing letter, not from the personal statement or resume, but from redundant data in the application completely destroys your chance at admission?
I left the redundant boxes empty except for the words "please see resume/personal statement." Hopefully you leaving this box empty looks like a consistent attempt to suggest that the information was somewhere else in your application. If not, then it will look unprofessional and there's nothing that you can do about that. It might hurt your chances.

Missing a letter might not matter much unless it is painfully obvious. If the information is redundant, I would imagine that they might just skim the mistake over and look for it in the area of your application that you intended for the information to be seen. For what it's worth, I missed a minor word in my personal statement and a period at the end of a sentence in my resume and was still accepted into UVA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:41 pm

I fucked up my Penn application with random typos in the redundant information boxes. I got in. Of course, always try to make it as pretty as possible with no errors, but if you do miss something trivial, relax and realize that you aren't the first person to do so. As long as your entire application package is strong, you will be fine.

Edit: TBF, I called the admissions office warning them of my mistakes. They acted like it wasn't a big deal especially once I told them it wasn't in the PS or DS.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:02 pm

I noticed I had a typo on my Michigan PS the day after I submitted. I was accepted today, so obviously it didn't kill me. I wouldn't worry at all, you are fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”