UVa v. Duke Law

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
transferquest
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:24 pm

UVa v. Duke Law

Postby transferquest » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:09 pm

Admitted to Both as a transfer.

Very comparable in many ways.

Any thoughts, feedback will be welcomed.

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: UVa v. Duke Law

Postby ran12 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:10 pm

transferquest wrote:Admitted to Both as a transfer.

Very comparable in many ways.

Any thoughts, feedback will be welcomed.


It's true they're comparable in many ways, including type of students they have. I'd go with Duke. I'm a Duke alum and I loved my time in Durham even though Charlottesville might be a more socially attractive place. Both have good name recognition but I would say Duke still has a bit of an edge in rep/prestige in terms of the overall brand.

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1924
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: UVa v. Duke Law

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:16 pm

Not much of a difference in terms of placement. Duke will get you substantially more props from lay people. UVA will probably get you more props from practicing attorneys aged 30+. TCR is probably to visit and go with your gut.

User avatar
blacklawboss
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:22 pm

Re: UVa v. Duke Law

Postby blacklawboss » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:22 pm

Pick the school that won the Lacrosse championship within the last 2 years!

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1924
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: UVa v. Duke Law

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:25 pm

blacklawboss wrote:Pick the school that won the Lacrosse championship within the last 2 years!


That or the school that has had a crappy football team over that same time period.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: UVa v. Duke Law

Postby BruceWayne » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:27 pm

Which ever one is cheaper. Grades are what matter in hiring over anything else. Since your transferring that means you already have that covered. Actually, I might go to Duke just because there will be less people competing with you for bids on firms. That doesn't matter for most people, but as someone with great grades who is a transfer it may matter for you.

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: UVa v. Duke Law

Postby ran12 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:52 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
blacklawboss wrote:Pick the school that won the Lacrosse championship within the last 2 years!


That or the school that has had a crappy football team over that same time period.


Pretty ambiguous since UVA has been arguably worse than Duke the past 2 years. Duke football is on the upswing.

User avatar
blacklawboss
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:22 pm

Re: UVa v. Duke Law

Postby blacklawboss » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:13 pm

ran12 wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:
blacklawboss wrote:Pick the school that won the Lacrosse championship within the last 2 years!


That or the school that has had a crappy football team over that same time period.


Pretty ambiguous since UVA has been arguably worse than Duke the past 2 years. Duke football is on the upswing.


It was a joke,... Duke lax won the national championship in 2010, and UVA won in 2011

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1924
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: UVa v. Duke Law

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:13 pm

ran12 wrote:
Pretty ambiguous


Image

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: UVa v. Duke Law

Postby ran12 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:20 pm

Alright I forgot UVA won lax this year.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28284
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: UVa v. Duke Law

Postby Kronk » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:28 pm

Duke is cool. I know UVa is supposedly a better school, but my lay opinion puts Duke ahead. Duke also has cool dual degree programs (and probably better grad programs than UVa in general for a lot of things) if you're interested in that. The nice thing about their MA/JD progs is that they don't make you take the GRE--they let law students send their LSAT in lieu of it.

So if you're interested in that it could tip the scale. Otherwise I would just go to wherever will be cheaper for you. They each have slight advantages, but place pretty similarly.

SPE
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 5:54 pm

Re: UVa v. Duke Law

Postby SPE » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:23 pm

I'm in the same boat. I was a Duke grad (class of 2010), and I just sent my deposit to Duke.

cavebat2000
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:08 pm

Re: UVa v. Duke Law

Postby cavebat2000 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:34 pm

Come visit Duke and see if you like it!

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: UVa v. Duke Law

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:34 pm

ran12 wrote:
transferquest wrote:Admitted to Both as a transfer.

Very comparable in many ways.

Any thoughts, feedback will be welcomed.


It's true they're comparable in many ways, including type of students they have. I'd go with Duke. I'm a Duke alum and I loved my time in Durham even though Charlottesville might be a more socially attractive place. Both have good name recognition but I would say Duke still has a bit of an edge in rep/prestige in terms of the overall brand.



False. The people at UVa are substantially more sociable than the people that go to duke.


And as someone who has experienced it firsthand, the UVa brand carries much more weight than Duke.

cavebat2000
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:08 pm

Re: UVa v. Duke Law

Postby cavebat2000 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:38 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
ran12 wrote:
transferquest wrote:Admitted to Both as a transfer.

Very comparable in many ways.

Any thoughts, feedback will be welcomed.


It's true they're comparable in many ways, including type of students they have. I'd go with Duke. I'm a Duke alum and I loved my time in Durham even though Charlottesville might be a more socially attractive place. Both have good name recognition but I would say Duke still has a bit of an edge in rep/prestige in terms of the overall brand.



False. The people at UVa are substantially more sociable than the people that go to duke.


And as someone who has experienced it firsthand, the UVa brand carries much more weight than Duke.


How do you know that the bolded is true? Have you spent time in both law schools?

showNprove
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: UVa v. Duke Law

Postby showNprove » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:42 pm

I never understood why lay opinion mattered to anyone (at least anyone considering Duke). If you go to Duke, more lay people will have heard of your school. They'll know it's a great school and will probably say as much. They'll also think you're a self-entitled douchebag. They may or may not say that last part.

UVA is more established in the legal community. You'll also have more fun.

SPE
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 5:54 pm

Re: UVa v. Duke Law

Postby SPE » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:47 pm

Honestly, everyone has his/her own preference. I was very torn between the two, and I just went with my gut. You can't go wrong at either.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: UVa v. Duke Law

Postby beachbum » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:02 am

UVA is roughly twice as big and affiliated with a large public university. It's also located in Charlottesville, which generally gets pretty good reviews in terms of bars/hangouts/things to do. The students tend to have a frattier reputation.

Duke is much smaller and is affiliated with a small(ish) private university. It's located in Durham, which isn't as bad as people say (but still isn't Charlottesville). The law facilities themselves are top notch, and are (IMO) nicer than UVA's. Duke has more lay prestige, while UVA seems to have a little bit better name in the legal community (particularly with older attorneys). In the end, prestige only matters as far as it can get you a job, and the job prospects are even.

Duke has the basketball team (and the UNC rivalry). UVA has the softball team. UVA probably has a greater variety of course offerings.

As a Duke student (depending on who you talk to), you might be labeled as arrogant and entitled. As a UVA student (depending on who you talk to), you might have to explain where you go to school.

Both schools have great alumni networks, comparable weather, and comparable faculties. Jobless UVA students seem to be more vocal (on ATL, anyway), but job prospects are a wash between the two schools.

I'm still an 0L (headed to Duke and currently living in Durham), but these were some of the considerations I made when deciding between Duke and UVA. HTH.

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: UVa v. Duke Law

Postby yngblkgifted » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:03 am

UVa. /thread

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: UVa v. Duke Law

Postby jawsthegreat » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:14 am

You have no idea what you are missing out on by choosing Duke over UVa.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: UVa v. Duke Law

Postby beachbum » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:18 am

jawsthegreat wrote:You have no idea what you are missing out on by choosing Duke over UVa.


Racist beer pong tables and jobless 3Ls crashing ASWs?

HopefulGrad
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:27 pm

Re: UVa v. Duke Law

Postby HopefulGrad » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:47 am

About a year or so ago, I came across an interview with a Dean from either Duke or UVA. It stuck out because obviously I had a brief flirtation with one and decided to attend the other. What it comes down to is this: both schools are so similar, but one of them has to stick out to you personally. It's ridiculous to base your decision off of a lay person's opinion (they are not hiring you, and they are not your future colleague) and USNWR (let's get real about the difference between #9 and #11, other than saying "the top 10"...).

More than that, as a transfer, you really should consider attending the school that strategically puts you in a better position career wise and is not detrimental. Most notably, I think you should choose which school will put you in the best position for OGI (giving away which school I will be attending in the fall...) as that will then play a large part in your future career.

Worst comes to worst, get a hat and put both schools names in. Pull one -- if you're a little bummed about the one you pulled, go to the other.

dabbadon8
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 2:17 am

Re: UVa v. Duke Law

Postby dabbadon8 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:58 am

I would go to the one you like best. The two schools were tied for my number one choice going into the cycle. Also idk how UVA's bidding system would work for transfer students. Would they use your gpa from your old school?

User avatar
wackjickham
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 4:03 pm

Re: UVa v. Duke Law

Postby wackjickham » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:59 am

UVA is TCR ITE, IMO, ROFLCOPTER

transferquest
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:24 pm

Re: UVa v. Duke Law

Postby transferquest » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:01 am

Thanks for all the great feedback guys.

Some statements:

1) I'm a william and mary undergrad alum, i have season tix to WM football so I enjoy watching UVa try to beat an FCS team on occasion. Also, I think WM is going to win again this year, but thats up in the air.

2) Danowski and Starsia are both great guys. Its a wash.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.