GGU to Hastings - Is it worth it?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
random5483

Re: GGU to Hastings - Is it worth it?

Postby random5483 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:37 am

drdolittle wrote:
random5483 wrote:I am not sure if I agree with some of the above posts. Law Review + Significant scholarship at GGU > Hastings IMO (as a transfer...not as a 1L).

With that said, neither is a particularly enviable position :(

Disclaimer: I know very little about either school.

Lol, then why post? This decision is mainly about the schools.

OP: Did you apply to UCLA and the like? If not, I'd still transfer to Hastings, where you should graduate with significantly less than average debt and your job prospects will be better.

Whether transferring is worth it or not is ultimately a personal decision. There's no guarantee that transferring to Hastings will assure you a job either. But it should increase your chances. And of course attending GGU is costing you at least time and COL now as well. Unfortunately since it seems those who can typically transfer out of GGU, if you don't, I'd think the assumption will be that you couldn't. This is really stupid, but it just seems to be the way the legal "market" operates. All this is moot though if you have great connections, or have other reasons to believe that you'll be able to find a decent job upon graduating from GGU so highly ranked.

I posted because because many law school decisions can be made purely based on rankings. A transfer student loses professor connections which he undoubtedly has due to his awards/class ranking (I hope so anyway). Moreover, a transfer student to a low end T1 school is unlikely to get anything special from OCI. At the end of the day, I doubt paying sticker as a transfer at Hastings is worth it.

The job market for T4 students is bad; however, a top 5% student at a T4 with a significant scholarship should get a decent job (non-big law decent job). A transfer student to Hastings is unlikely to secure much better. Unless Hastings is better than its ranking for job placements and GGU is worse than its ranking for job placements, a transfer is unlikely to help much and has the potential to hurt.

wallberlin

Postby wallberlin » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:04 pm

I want to thank everyone for your input. I really appreciate you all offering your insight to someone you have never even met before. I'm 99% sure that I will be going to Hastings in the fall, due in no small part to all of you.

Thanks again, and best of luck to everyone.

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:05 pm

wallberlin wrote:I want to thank everyone for your input. I really appreciate you all offering your insight to someone you have never even met before. I'm 99% sure that I will be going to Hastings in the fall, due in no small part to all of you.

Thanks again, and best of luck to everyone.

Smart move. Good luck!

Return to “Transfers”