About to transfer to BU over BC - anyone object? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
polycom01

New

About to transfer to BU over BC - anyone object?

Post by polycom01 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:14 pm

Currently go to TTT, got in to BU and BC as a transfer. Would like a shot at Biglaw.

I significantly prefer BU's campus and location to BC's, and all the other factors appear to be extremely close. My only concern is turning down BC's strong alumni network and strong reputation in Boston.

Do I just go with whichever feels right?

blurbz

Silver

Re: About to transfer to BU over BC - anyone object?

Post by blurbz » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:35 pm

Yep. If BU feels better, go there. If BC feels better, go there. If you care about each of them equally, flip a coin. You can't go wrong. Congratulations on doing well enough to transfer up!

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:37 pm

BC is cooler

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:41 pm

Having a strong opinion one way or the other drastically separates you from the typical person asking the BCvBU question.

polycom01

New

Post by polycom01 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:44 pm

sullidop wrote:Having a strong opinion one way or the other drastically separates you from the typical person asking the BCvBU question.
I'm split on most issues, but BC's campus just seems to be a hassle (especially without a car).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:56 pm

BC doesn't outplace BU in Boston. The belief is just ancient mythology perpetuated by oldsters from a bygone era.

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:10 pm

polycom01 wrote:
sullidop wrote:Having a strong opinion one way or the other drastically separates you from the typical person asking the BCvBU question.
I'm split on most issues, but BC's campus just seems to be a hassle (especially without a car).
Lol, I wouldn't stress too much about it. I'm sure you'll be fine either way.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:12 pm

Peer schools, if you feel strongly that you'd prefer one over the other, that's your answer right there.

Edit: Oh, and congrats.

polycom01

New

Post by polycom01 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:19 pm

Thanks everyone. This input helps.

Would have been cool to attend BC football games though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:35 pm

polycom01 wrote:Thanks everyone. This input helps.

If this is what's holding you back, then you've picked an excellent time to be choosing BU.

The law schools are the same. Attempts to differentiate them are meaningless to all those who don't attend either BC or BU.

DeliciousCake

New

Post by DeliciousCake » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:40 pm

They both place similarly in Boston and are respected the same amount. However, it's been my understanding that BU places better outside of Boston than BC. I think this is mostly because a huge percentage of BU's grads go to NYC after graduation. Just my 2c.

Congrats!! :)

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:21 pm

flcath wrote:

If this is what's holding you back, then you've picked an excellent time to be choosing BU.

The law schools are the same. Attempts to differentiate them are meaningless to all those who don't attend either BC or BU.
BC will make a dark horse bid for the ACC title this year. You heard it here first.

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:31 pm

BU had to hire back a ton of it's grads. BC did not. See other threads.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

polycom01

New

Post by polycom01 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:34 pm

BCLS wrote:BU had to hire back a ton of it's grads. BC did not. See other threads.
I had read that, but don't these numbers show that the NLJ 250 hiring was essentially the same?

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:00 pm

They are the same. But it makes you wonder. BC doesn't seem to pull shenanigans like that.

taxnstuff

Bronze

Post by taxnstuff » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:21 pm

Would you care to elaborate on what your grades/rank was? BC is on my transfer radar if I do well, and I am curious.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:37 pm

sullidop wrote:
flcath wrote:

BC will make a dark horse bid for the ACC title this year. You heard it here first.
The last I checked, they were having open tryouts for starting QB.

That would be quite the comeback kid story, indeed.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:06 am

flcath wrote:
sullidop wrote:
flcath wrote:

The last I checked, they were having open tryouts for starting QB.

That would be quite the comeback kid story, indeed.
Naw, they're going to start Chase Rettig. Given that he was a true freshman last year and still did pretty well I have high expectations. People forget that Matt Ryan was terrible his first year and went on to do big things his 3rd and 4th years. We'll see how it works out but I'm optimistic.

polycom01

New

Post by polycom01 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:19 pm

taxnstuff wrote:Would you care to elaborate on what your grades/rank was? BC is on my transfer radar if I do well, and I am curious.
Top 6%.

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:49 pm

It appears we may be classmates, although I am also still waiting to hear back from some T10s that I won't get into. I'm also leaning toward transferring to BU over BC despite choosing BC over BU UG.

They're peer schools but BU is more easily accessible from public transit and more highly ranked. Also the bid lists from 2010 seem to corroborate BU's claims of better placement in NYC. It could be self-selection but 55% of the students who received interviews at the BU/BC Job Fair in NYC last year were from BU.

Finally, I'd kind of like to have both BC and BU on my resume so that I can access both alumni networks.

I'll be at the BC football games regardless. Their home schedule sucks this year though.

K.R.I.T.

New

Post by K.R.I.T. » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:37 pm

ACC football is a laugh riot.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

VinceIrons

New

Post by VinceIrons » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:45 pm

Congrats on BU! There's at least 5 of us TLS kids that I know of also probably going to BU (barring acceptances in to reach schools, I believe). We ought to all meet up at some point prior to classes starting.

DeliciousCake

New

Post by DeliciousCake » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:47 pm

VinceIrons wrote:Congrats on BU! There's at least 5 of us TLS kids that I know of also probably going to BU (barring acceptances in to reach schools, I believe). We ought to all meet up at some point prior to classes starting.
+1.

bmic

New

Post by bmic » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:50 pm

DeliciousCake wrote:
VinceIrons wrote:Congrats on BU! There's at least 5 of us TLS kids that I know of also probably going to BU (barring acceptances in to reach schools, I believe). We ought to all meet up at some point prior to classes starting.
+1.
Another +1

alumniguy

Bronze

Post by alumniguy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:53 pm

polycom01 wrote:
BCLS wrote:BU had to hire back a ton of it's grads. BC did not. See other threads.
I had read that, but don't these numbers show that the NLJ 250 hiring was essentially the same?

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1
Full disclosure: BC alum.

NLJ 250 hiring is pretty much equal at both schools. That means if you are top 40% at both schools (perhaps top 1/3rd for the current classes due to reduced summer associate hiring), you are going to have pretty much the same odds at biglaw from both schools. However, at least for last year, it appears that BU students who didn't land biglaw had a difficult time finding a job period (which is why BU hired something like 16% "academia" placement). It doesn't appear that BC did this to the same extent (BC had a 5% "academia" placement). FWIW, I think this corroborates that BC's alumni network is probably stronger than BU's and really helps those students who are median and below.

For OP, it is likely that you'll get biglaw from both schools as a transfer (the transfers I knew did just fine), so BU is probably the credited answer since you like it better there.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”