Asking for an Extension?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
autumnaesthetic
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:12 pm

Asking for an Extension?

Postby autumnaesthetic » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:18 pm

So a school I'd be happy transferring to has accepted me on the condition that I accept their offer by a certain time. But I have also applied to another school at which I am not complete (class ranks came out last week, waiting for them to be "officially" received). Is there any precedent of people successfully requesting an extension to "think about it" or is this a slap in the face? Assuming all my materials are received by tomorrow or the next day (I had my school send them the 27th, going across the country).....And now I'm rambling & speculating. I hate overthinking things.


TL;DR: Request an extension for accepting admissions offer or just suck it up and pay seat deposit?

missinglink
Posts: 946
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:49 am

Re: Asking for an Extension?

Postby missinglink » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:39 pm

You're overthinking things.

Ask for the extension. The worst that can happen is that they say no. Then you know where you stand.

It doesn't seem like a "slap in the face." It's a big decision, and big decisions should not be rushed.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Asking for an Extension?

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:52 pm

If feasible, pay the seat deposit while waiting for the other school's decision. If it would be a burden, then ask for an extension in an honest & tactful manner.

specialblend35
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:38 pm

Re: Asking for an Extension?

Postby specialblend35 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:11 pm

I asked a school to extend recently, and they were very understanding and gave me 2 extra weeks. Didn't seem like a big deal.

User avatar
autumnaesthetic
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: Asking for an Extension?

Postby autumnaesthetic » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:51 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. Email? Phone call? (I know I overthink, but I think even a year of law school has severely worsened this condition!) I haven't contributed much to these forums but you all have definitely helped me out a bunch over the years (from pre-0L through 1L and now the transfer process). I appreciate that.

transplantedbuckeye
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:25 pm

Re: Asking for an Extension?

Postby transplantedbuckeye » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:49 pm

I would send an e-mail, just for record keeping purposes. Other than that, schools understand you need to wait, make decisions, etc. I got an extension last year without a problem.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.