Michigan Transfer Class of 2013 Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
tfer2222

Bronze

Re: Michigan Transfer Class of 2013

Post by tfer2222 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:31 am

keg411 wrote:
ReversedAndRemanded wrote:
tww909 wrote:anybody know if there's a way to pay the deposit online?

i wish they'd told me they needed the money by the 20th to guarantee a normal oci. i'd rather not have to overnight a check.
That's what I just got back from doing -_-

Was holding out as long as possible to see if I'd hear from Penn/NYU/CLS before I sent it, but not a peep, so in goes the deposit!
I didn't overnight mine because the post office said Saturday it should get there by the 20th :| . I don't know if I trust them.
Can you not deposit via credit card?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:31 am

blowhard wrote:
keg411 wrote:
tww909 wrote:anybody know if there's a way to pay the deposit online?

i wish they'd told me they needed the money by the 20th to guarantee a normal oci. i'd rather not have to overnight a check.
That's what I just got back from doing -_-

Was holding out as long as possible to see if I'd hear from Penn/NYU/CLS before I sent it, but not a peep, so in goes the deposit!
I didn't overnight mine because the post office said Saturday it should get there by the 20th :| . I don't know if I trust them.
Just shoot the office an e-mail and let them know it's on the way. I highly doubt they will care if its delayed by a day or two so long as they know.
Did that yesterday, so already taken care of :). I just heard it was taking people a while to get permission to get a unique name and Simplicity access and all of the OCI information (for instance, do they give number of schedules and any other research on the firms coming? Because I can't seem to get into anything except the basics on the admitted students site with just the login that came with the admissions package).

ETA: tfer2222, I didn't see any place on the website for a credit card deposit, so I just mailed a check.

ReversedAndRemanded

New

Post by ReversedAndRemanded » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:59 am

keg411 wrote:Did that yesterday, so already taken care of :). I just heard it was taking people a while to get permission to get a unique name and Simplicity access and all of the OCI information (for instance, do they give number of schedules and any other research on the firms coming? Because I can't seem to get into anything except the basics on the admitted students site with just the login that came with the admissions package).

ETA: tfer2222, I didn't see any place on the website for a credit card deposit, so I just mailed a check.
The best I was able to do was have OCP direct me to the list of firms that came last year (go to http://www.law.umich.edu/careers/Pages/services.aspx then click on "On Campus Interview Programs" and then click on the underlined "employers conducted" to bring up the PDF), so that I could at least get a gist of where I should start researching while I wait on access to Symplicity. They said this year's list is pretty much the same.

I'm also pretty sure they said we get 30 bids FWIW.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:04 pm

keg411 wrote:Did that yesterday, so already taken care of :). I just heard it was taking people a while to get permission to get a unique name and Simplicity access and all of the OCI information (for instance, do they give number of schedules and any other research on the firms coming? Because I can't seem to get into anything except the basics on the admitted students site with just the login that came with the admissions package).

The best I was able to do was have OCP direct me to the list of firms that came last year (go to http://www.law.umich.edu/careers/Pages/services.aspx then click on "On Campus Interview Programs" and then click on the underlined "employers conducted" to bring up the PDF), so that I could at least get a gist of where I should start researching while I wait on access to Symplicity. They said this year's list is pretty much the same.

I'm also pretty sure they said we get 30 bids FWIW.
Thanks! I did have huge list of firms from GULC (my $800 was at least good for something :lol:), so I was able to do research and put together a start of a bidlist; was just looking for Mich-specific info, but I suppose I will just have to wait; although the .pdf from last year is certainly helpful :).

SGO

New

Post by SGO » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:46 pm

For those who have accepted, FB Group http://[link redacted]/nwbSM, and Google Email List http://[link redacted]/opXmA. There are transfers from last years class on the list so you can ask questions about EIW, housing, classes, etc.
Last edited by SGO on Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:49 pm

Looks like I might be attending GULC. No response yet from Mich :(

But I will post here if I get in by some off chance.

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:02 pm

Finally decided, check in overnight mail, ready to do this, looking forward to meeting yall

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:10 pm

Hey all,

Welcome to the Class of 2013! Hope to meet you all soon.

For whatever it's worth, in the coming months, don't hesitate to ask questions if you have them--of those of us on TLS (in other Michigan threads or via PM), law school administration (e.g., Dean Z, etc.), professors, or your fellow classmates when you get to campus. My experience has been that almost everyone will do everything they can to help point you in the right direction.

Cheers! :D

Chiglaw

New

Post by Chiglaw » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:11 pm

tfer2222 wrote:Finally decided, check in overnight mail, ready to do this, looking forward to meeting yall
Did the same this afternoon. Time to figure out bid list, and housing, and classes, and journal, and uprooting my life. But really looking forward to meeting all of you!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

awarunn

New

Post by awarunn » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:28 pm

Congrats everyone!

If people are looking for housing, this site is pretty useful: http://www.padmapper.com

It basically puts all the craiglist postings into a google map format so you can browse the neighborhoods and see what's posted.

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:31 am

does anyone know how to switch loans over to a new school?

lawstudento

New

Post by lawstudento » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:19 am

tfer2222 wrote:Finally decided, check in overnight mail, ready to do this, looking forward to meeting yall
+1

lawstudento

New

Post by lawstudento » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:33 am

tfer2222 wrote:does anyone know how to switch loans over to a new school?
My understanding is that you need to go to FAFSA to modify your application (I think the code is E00506) and then contact your current school's financial aid office and cancel your award. After that I think it's mostly between Michigan's financial aid office and you.

I don't recall filling out a Need Access form or the like. Does anyone know if Michigan has any supplemental financial aid applications that we need to fill out?

Also, signed the lease for the lawyers club, changed my FAFSA, need to withdraw and cancel the financial aid for my old school, getting journal write-on information in the next few days, overnighted my deposit today and should have access to OCI stuff, subletting my apartment and selling everything bigger than a breadbox, and I need to get a flight booked. Shit.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all! And does anyone know how long we can expect non-cold weather once the semester starts?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:06 am

lawstudento wrote:
My understanding is that you need to go to FAFSA to modify your application (I think the code is E00506) and then contact your current school's financial aid office and cancel your award. After that I think it's mostly between Michigan's financial aid office and you.

I don't recall filling out a Need Access form or the like. Does anyone know if Michigan has any supplemental financial aid applications that we need to fill out?

Also, signed the lease for the lawyers club, changed my FAFSA, need to withdraw and cancel the financial aid for my old school, getting journal write-on information in the next few days, overnighted my deposit today and should have access to OCI stuff, subletting my apartment and selling everything bigger than a breadbox, and I need to get a flight booked. Shit.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all! And does anyone know how long we can expect non-cold weather once the semester starts?
We don't use need access. You just complete the FAFSA including your parents section (even though not normally required).

It was pretty cold by Halloween. I'd say the first 2-3 weeks of September will definitley be short-sleeve weather.

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:55 pm

Cold weather.....yikes. Coming from Texas, should be an interesting transition.

crazyblink653

Bronze

Post by crazyblink653 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:47 pm

Last edited by crazyblink653 on Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joan Hollaway

Silver

Post by Joan Hollaway » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:58 pm

blowhard wrote:
lawstudento wrote:

We don't use need access. You just complete the FAFSA including your parents section (even though not normally required).

It was pretty cold by Halloween. I'd say the first 2-3 weeks of September will definitley be short-sleeve weather.
I went to the Halloween party sleeveless...granted I had an alcohol jacket on :lol: but it wasn't THAT bad. I think after Thanksgiving is when the snow and stuff started. The most unexpected part weather wise for me was how it snowed practically every day through March and then we had a random snow shower in April :shock:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crazyblink653

Bronze

Post by crazyblink653 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:48 pm

lol did anybody else's desire to be on LR take a severe hit after they received the 300+ page packet (or shall I say "tome"?) in the mail today?

Chiglaw

New

Post by Chiglaw » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:59 pm

crazyblink653 wrote:lol did anybody else's desire to be on LR take a severe hit after they received the 300+ page packet (or shall I say "tome"?) in the mail today?
After working through one the same length for my current school in May, I had zero desire to even attempt it. Probably a bad move, but some of the secondaries look really cool so just giving one of those a shot.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:00 pm

ugh, feel like i may have made a bad choice passing up mich. does anyone know what exactly it means that we have til july 20 to deposit in order to "bid on the same terms" as everyone else? how exactly are you disadvantaged?

starchinkilt

Bronze

Post by starchinkilt » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:05 pm

traehekat wrote:ugh, feel like i may have made a bad choice passing up mich. does anyone know what exactly it means that we have til july 20 to deposit in order to "bid on the same terms" as everyone else? how exactly are you disadvantaged?
After that you're not guaranteed to have access to symplicity by the time the bids are due. By the time they get your deposit--->it gets registered into the schools system-->ITS gets it and sends you your uniqname--->you e-mail career services---->they get your login info ready. They said they'd try as hard as they could to get you in by the deadline, but there are no guarantees.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:13 pm

starchinkilt wrote:
traehekat wrote:ugh, feel like i may have made a bad choice passing up mich. does anyone know what exactly it means that we have til july 20 to deposit in order to "bid on the same terms" as everyone else? how exactly are you disadvantaged?
After that you're not guaranteed to have access to symplicity by the time the bids are due. By the time they get your deposit--->it gets registered into the schools system-->ITS gets it and sends you your uniqname--->you e-mail career services---->they get your login info ready. They said they'd try as hard as they could to get you in by the deadline, but there are no guarantees.
well that would be horrible. doesn't even make sense why the process should take so long. so other than that there is no disadvantage, as long as you have your bids in by the deadline you are fine?

starchinkilt

Bronze

Post by starchinkilt » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:16 pm

traehekat wrote:
starchinkilt wrote:
well that would be horrible. doesn't even make sense why the process should take so long. so other than that there is no disadvantage, as long as you have your bids in by the deadline you are fine?
I think you had until yesterday to join the write-on for LR. I still think you can apply for the other secondaries. Call admissions/career services asap tomorrow to get the lowdown on getting you in if you're still interested.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:22 pm

starchinkilt wrote:
traehekat wrote:
starchinkilt wrote:
I think you had until yesterday to join the write-on for LR. I still think you can apply for the other secondaries. Call admissions/career services asap tomorrow to get the lowdown on getting you in if you're still interested.
Thanks for the help. Obviously LR would have been a long shot anyway (not sure I would have even applied) but I would definitely like to be on one of the journals.

Anyway, I'm just having really bad second thoughts about NU over Michigan. I've been talking with some current NU transfers and apparently some their transfers struggle with OCI. For mich i've heard that transfers basically kill it. ugh. dunno what to do.

starchinkilt

Bronze

Post by starchinkilt » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:24 pm

crazyblink653 wrote:lol did anybody else's desire to be on LR take a severe hit after they received the 300+ page packet (or shall I say "tome"?) in the mail today?
Looks like i'll have a nice present from ups when I get home from work tomorrow.

Edit: I guess the ups guy gets a pass for getting my Michigan Law t-shirt to me asap

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”